4:3 <--> 16:9

F

Frankeh

I don't know if this is the right board where I have to ask it but anyway, It's a short (and probably easy) question so here it goes:

It's about games.. many games don't support 16:9, but when you have a PJ and a 16:9 screen.. what is the best to do? Project the image in 16:9? (which will stretch the image) or in 4:3? (which will give black on the left and right)

You'd better choose 4:3 than?

Very much a matter of personal preference, I usually just stretch to a (distorted) 16:9. If you have an LCD PJ, you're probably best not using 4:3 as I believe this can lead to the LCD equivalent of screen burn (I may be wrong).

Games might be better in 4:3 with black bars. Try both and see what you prefer. I don't think that there's any LCD equivalent of 'screen burn' (unlike plasma which suffers really badly from burn), so don't worry about that. Black can't burn anyway!

a lot of newer games will be made with 16:9 as an option......due to the amount of widescreen monitors, TV's and PJ's now available......

and its sooo nice when they do it properly......playing HL2 or CS:S in 16:9 is good because you actually have a wider Field Of Vision compared to someone playing in 4:3, in fact when i went back to 4:3 for a day because i couldnt use my room i actually felt claustrophobic at the size of my FOV...lol

The Z3 also has a 'natural wide' mode that will stretch the outer portions of the image but leave the centre third alone. It's a very good compromise, I reckon. I watch all 4:3 material this way, either through my RPTV or through my Z3. Though personally I actually use a Lumagen with its NLS stretch, but both will do it natively as well.

Regards

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom