1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3/16:9 action switching?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by liam_b, May 5, 2005.

1. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Got my DP back from IAG last week, finally gotten around to sorting all the settings.

The good bit is TMREQ :D totally excellent - a blindly obvious fantastic improvement - proper bass and it sounds damn good with music too.

The naff bit - Action switches that half work, I was intending to use the 4:3/16:9 setting to switch 5/12v to my TV for widescreen switching, 4:3/169 doesn't do anything!?! The ON/--/OFF settings work fine but the 4:3/169 settings don't do anything at all. I checked the TAGtronic bus cables go out to in, the DP just doesn't do anything regardless of what aspect ratio the DVD32 is playing :(

Is this function for PSM'd DVD32 only? Does anybody have the 4:3/16:9 settings switching with a non-PSM DVD32R/FLR?

PS DVD32 using v3.85 and DP using v4.31 firmware.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The action switches are passive mate, you need an external power source :)

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep think of them as a gate that simply opens and closes, someone or something (volts in this case!) has to go through them or not go through them.... As that could be just about any extra low voltage (NOT MAINS.....) or even used as a no volt switch, it would have been most unwise of TAG to provide power on any of the contacts...... Think of a light switch you have just picked up from B&Q, until you provide volts it will just click.....

4. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Guys, thanks but I know the switches are just switches.

I soldered some wires into a 9 pin D plug, plugged the wires into a multimeter set to continuity buzzer, the switches are operating for ON/--/OFF but they do not move for 4:3/169 settings, to be COMPLETELY clear there is no change in the switch state when I play a DVD, A is set for 4:3, B is set 169, neither change state when the disk changes from 4:3 to 16:9.

What I'm trying to find out is whether this should be working? Does this only function with a PSM'd DVD32? I assumed they would work with a non-PSM DVD32 but since this is TAG who the hells knows, they often did their own thing.

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ah right......
    The mention of 5/12V had us both thinking you had got the wrong idea.... Whats the settings in the DVD32R under the TAG bus bit? have you set the DVD32R to always send 4:3 as 16:9 (i.e. the DVD32R generates its own black bars) so the display always gets 16:9 signal even if it looks 4:3????

6. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Graham, my DVD32 doesn't have a PSM in it, so I've never seen the options for 4:3 as 16:9, as you only get that with PSM'd models, I think.

The idea was to put something together to supply the Svideo + widescreen switching voltages to my TV via a SCART plug, so I could stop using the ProntoPro just for the widescreen switching macro I put together.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I always used to feed my CRT widscreen set from the s-video output of the DVD32R and never had to bother with wide screen switching, I just left the TV on 16:9 and it displayed whatever was on the DVD as appropriate. What are ytou trying to achieve in the picture department? You might consider a component to RGBS convertor which may ive you what you seem to be after.

8. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The TV is a bit old now but it switches between 4:3/16:9 fine when fed with a Panasonic $kybox or Panasonic DVD via the SCART sockets, I checked up and there is a 'loose' spec for aspect switching via SCART pins 8+12, I measured the voltages and what changes to switch the TV.

So I wanted to use a little plugtop psu + AV32 action switches + make up a Svideo-SCART, so I can have the TV automatically switched by the DVD32 but it looks like I'll have to give up on that idea because the non PSM DVD32 doesn't send the aspect ratio change to the AV32.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If you want a proper 4:3 image on a widescreen set can't you just set the TV to natural 16:9 mode (no "just" mode or whatever) and you will get the correct picture i.e. black bars on 4:3 and full screen on 16:9? Worked like that on my old Sony...

10. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Oops. Talking rubbish again.

11. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Graham, must have a fault on the TV then because setting it to 16:9 doesn't give 4:3 +bars, it stretches 4:3 to fit, if I set 4:3 I get bars.

Lovegroova, thats exactly what I was planning on getting to. Svideo output from DVD32 fed direct into SCART socket (Set to accept Svideo on TV) also using a plug-in psu to give volts wired thru action switch (set to on for 4:3/16:9) into pin8 on SCART.

This would have worked except that the action switches dont change state when the DVD picture aspect changes even though they are set A=4:3, B=16:9, though they work perfectly if you set ON, OFF or --.

12. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Obviously I wasn't talking rubbish! :D

With my old setup (Rotel DVD and Sony TV, running s-video -> SCART), aspect ratio switching worked perfectly well using the hidden coding in line 23 of the signal, with no need for pin 8 switching. It only worked with PAL discs however, rather than NTSC.

I am surprised your TV doesn't autoswitch on line 23 - what make and model number is it? You probably just need to set up the menus in the TV correctly. Something like auto 16:9 or somesuch. You probably don't need to worry about using action switches and PSUs.

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Beats me.......

I tried it again just now and a 4:3 DVD displays correctly on my Sony (black bars each side), and a 16:9 DVD fills the screen..... Are you sure your not in "just" mode on the Panny as the DVD32R doesn't stretch any DVD signal (what goes in comes out!), if your 4:3 DVD fills the Panny's screen you have the aspect setting wrong on the TV?
    Only the PSM does indeed have the black bar additional feature.....

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    "if I set 4:3 I get bars" side ones or top and bottom?

15. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Liam,

The may be a silly question but have you set the output display to 16:9 on the DVD32 setup menu?

It sounds like you might have the DVD32 set to 4:3 output, simply because you are getting a streched image when setting the TV to "Wide" i.e., it's stretching a 4:3 image as output from the DVD32, and the DVD32 is not outputting a 16:9 image.

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Lovegroova.
    Exactly why I asked if the bars were side or top/bottom....

17. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Ah, I see! Hopefully I explained it better! ;) :hiya:

18. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    After further investigation it turns out the TV doesn't do line23 WS switching, apparently its too old, Sony UK told me that my TV was never manufacturered by them - after further digging its a 1994 German made Sony - its a weird hybrid model cause it has some Sony made D2MAC receiver inside it, which I never knew about.

The WS switching works via SCART with 3 different cheapo DVD players I've tried, the 16:9 setting on the TV is very strange because it doesn't display 4:3 properly with bars it like stretches/squeezes it though the 4:3 setting is correct. After 2 hours of generating all possible Sony 12+16 pair IR codes I finally got clean codes for the Pronto so my 4:3 - 16:9 switching macro button works correctly now. But I still dislike the Pronto, its a hateful device, give me hard buttoned remotes any day!

I'm borrowing a DVD32 w/PSM to check out the 4:3/16:9 action switches over the weekend. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this, ATM it looks easier to use the Pronto until I buy a new TV or PJ though I wasn't really planning on that just now, having about 50 other things sucking up money.

19. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I finally got to the bottom of my trouble with the action switches, in short they ONLY work for 4:3/16:9 settings if you have a DVD32 with PSM, they do NOT work if you use a regular DVD32R/FLR.:( Just to be sure I managed to borrow 2 DVD32, a DVD32R with PSM and a DVD32FLR without. Basically the user manual for the AV32 DP should say that the 4:3/16:9 settings are specific to PSM'd DVD32.

So anybody wanting to use them to control (for example) an electric masking screen had better have either a DVD32 with PSM or another way to control the screen.

20. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :smashin: well done Liam_b a lot of work avoided thanks to your findings.

I also have a DVD32FLR without PSM because I already have one fitted into the AV192R. It is a pity that in that configuration, that IMHO is the optimal one, the video format is not recognized automatically.

Many thanks again,

Lenny

21. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi anyone out there prepared to give this a go?.

I have just bought the Dual processor AV32 which did not come with the action switch update.

I do have a AV32 Single processor which does have the action switch update.

Can I swop them over?

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I assume your DP is 5.1? All the 7.1 units have the switches....

As far as I am aware you cannot add the switches to a 5.1 unit....

As for correct aspect ratio, this realy isn't much of an issue as long as you can set your tv to always display "what goes in gets shown unstretched" mode.....

23. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Lenny, I think you're half right, I would suggest that where the PSM is installed won't matter SO you could take advantage of the 4:3/16:9 action switch settings because the PSM in your AV192 will supply the required information to the other parts of the AV192, of course that assumes that you use the PSM'd output.

Caleb, there are connectors required to plug the cables from the EX/7.1/action switch expansion board that are not factory installed, so although you could easily remove the EX/7.1/action switch expansion board from your AV32R 7.1 (using only a couple of tools) you will be unable to install it into the AV32R DP unless you're prepared to strip the unit completely to remove the mainboard and solder in 3 connectors and make up a cable to connect the EX/7.1/action switch expansion board. I would say that it is simply not worth the risk of damaging your equipment, it would be far better to let IAG do that.

GrahamMG, exactly right, I took my DVD32 round to visit a different TV and I can confirm that if you set a Sony TV to 16:9 it does indeed display 4:3 in the middle of the screen and its even the right shape!

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    As my Sony is also a German model (KV32FX60/D) and I can simply change it to "U" in the service menu, I assume your particular set is somehow very different inside...... Nice to know I wasn't going mad though......

Soldering in those connectors for the action switches and a bit of metal bashing shouldn't really be contemplated on a new DP...... If you wanted the action switches you should have bought the 7.1DP........

25. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Time to test then.

Regards,

Lenny

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    BTW, the PSM in the AV192R can also perform the display 4:3 as 16:9 and I assume trigger the action switch accordingly for wide screen switching? I've seen at least two people with masking screens get the mask to operate correctly for aspect changes, looks seriously cool.....

27. Selbydoodl

Selbydoodl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,
    Definately not worth messing about with.

Spoke to my dealer who sold me the Dual, and for 400 quid I can get the 7.1 upgrade which as you say will include the action switches and a couple other things as well.