3X HD DVD - anyone used to record HD to DVDs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davemurgatroyd2, May 25, 2018.

1. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    Has anyone used 3X HD DVD format to burn HD to standard DVDs? Apparently you can get 90mins of HD video on a DL DVD. They will only playback on HD DVD players and as I have half a dozen HD DVD players I would like to try it out

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,053
    Using the AVCHD standard, I have burn't many HD TV recordings to DVD blanks. Depending on the bitrate you can get approx 60 mins on a single layer blank. A PC with AVCHD codecs will also play them back. High bitrate content like from a camcorder can be a bit jerky, best to use Bluray blanks.

AVCHD - Wikipedia

Tsmuxer gui will create a AVCHD folder or .iso image that Imgburn will burn to a DVD blank.

3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    I am aware of AVCHD and using DVDs to playback on Bluray players and will give it a try as well - do you know any online tutorial to use it?

3X DVD is a simlialr concept but to play back on HD DVD players so I was hoping to put my HD DVD players to more than the occasional use they get at present (no commercial releases since 2008 and have about 150 discs of films and boxsets). I have a combo Bluray and HD DVD player (Samsung BD UP500 - US import) so can do a direct comparison between the two formats.
    I also have USB rewriter drives for HD DVD and Bluray and appropriate software to burn to both blanks (I have a few HD DVD blanks but they are now getting more difficult to find).

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,053
    Try

https://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_mkv_to_avchd_for_ps3_and_blu-ray.cfm