3View 3VHD [500GB] HD-PVR Master Thread {Part Two}

Gavtech

Administrator
Reaction score
Moderator Comment

Thread Announcement.

Please note that Part One of this thread is now closed and all further posts should continue here in Part Two.

For reference,

Part One can be found here.

Thank you.

Initial deliveries are going into JLP tomorrow- with a further qty on Dec 6th!

TG :D

Anyone seen one of these beasties in JL for sale yet? Their website now saying more than 10 in stock!

Last edited:
John Lewis will be receiving more stock of the 3view unit today as will Play.com

thanks

Last edited:
John Lewis will be receiving more stock of the 3view unit today as will Play.com

thanks

Both still showing as out of stock at 14:15 - but probably won't show up until tomorrow now anyway. Hope they get a few more this time - seemed to sell out very quickly the other day!

Both still showing as out of stock at 14:15 - but probably won't show up until tomorrow now anyway. Hope they get a few more this time - seemed to sell out very quickly the other day!

The weather could be playing a big part in the deliveries being a trifle late to arrive. It will probably show tomorrow as you say.

TG

I've got one on order from JL, should be here any time.

Decided to give them another go now that they have iPlayer.

Just make sure when you receive it to update it to the latest software from the unit. You will love it now and the BBC iPlayer.

TG

Just spoken to Ofcom - who put in me in touch with digitaluk - in order to find out which transmitter is next to power up.........

It seems that Mendip is due for a power upgrade in January 2011 - which is certainly confirmed by Postcode Checker - Trade View

However he couldn't tell me if this was a full power upgrade or whether it was a low power upgrade with the later power changes to max - so not really that much further forward.

This does mean however that people with 3view in Bath, Bristol, Weston-Super-Mare and surrounding areas should keep an eye on their box, because since 3View's Winter Hill test of their new code failed - these people could be the next lot to lose their HD reception altogether.

Freeview on Mendip TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice

[/url]

However he couldn't tell me if this was a full power upgrade or whether it was a low power upgrade with the later power changes to max - so not really that much further forward.

[/url]

According to the UK free site you linked to the ERP will stay limited until early 2012.

I did find information that the next transmitter power upgrades were in April... but I have mislaid that information. Will post it if and when...

List of transmitters undergoing DSO ...Next 6 months or so of schedule:

On Wednesday 17th November 2010

Alderney, Fremont Point, Gorey, Les Touillets, St Brelades Bay, St Helier, St Peter Port, Torteval

On Wednesday 13th April 2011

Dallington Park, Kimpton, Kings Lynn, Luton, Madingley (Cambridge) C5, Sandy Heath

On Wednesday 20th April 2011

Andoversford, Bromsgrove, Bucknell, Churchdown Hill C5, Clun, Coalbrookdale, Eardiston, Ewyas Harold, Garth Hill VP, Haden Hill, Halesowen, Hazler Hill, Hereford, Hope under Dinmore, Kington, Knucklas, Lark Stoke, Ludlow, New Radnor, Oakeley Mynd, Peterchurch, Presteigne, Ridge Hill, Ridge Hill (HTV West), Ross on Wye, St Briavels, The Wrekin, The Wrekin B, Upper Soudley

On or before (projected date) Wednesday 25th May 2011

Ardentinny, Ardnadam, Arrochar, Ayr South, Blackwaterfoot, Bowmore, Campbeltown, Carradale, Catrine, Claonaig, Darvel, Dunure, Garelochhead, Girvan, High Keil, Holmhead, Kirkconnel, Kirkmichael, Kirkoswald VP, Lethanhill, Lochgoilhead, Lochwinnoch, Millburn Muir, Muirkirk, New Cumnock, Port Ellen, Portnahaven, Rosneath, Sorn, Troon, Wanlockhead

On or before (projected date) Wednesday 15th June 2011

Aberfoyle, Cannongate HP, Craigkelly, Grangemouth, Kinross, Newbattle, Penicuik, West Linton

On or before (projected date) Wednesday 22nd June 2011

Abington, Biggar, Black Hill, Bridge of Allan, Broughton, Callander, Cathcart, Clachan, Cumbernauld Village, Deanston, Dollar, Dunoon, Easdale, Fintry, Gigha Island, Glasgow West Central, Glespin, Haddington, Kelvindale, Killearn, Kilmacolm, Kirkfieldbank, Largs, Leadhills, Millport, Netherton Braes, Ravenscraig VP, Rothesay, Rothesay Town, South Knapdale, Strachur, Strathblane, Strathyre, Strathyre Link, Tarbert, Tighnabruaich, Tillicoultry, Twechar, Uplawmoor, West Kilbride

List of transmitters undergoing DSO ...Next 6 months or so of schedule:

On Wednesday 17th November 2010

Alderney, Fremont Point, Gorey, Les Touillets, St Brelades Bay, St Helier, St Peter Port, Torteval

On Wednesday 13th April 2011

Dallington Park, Kimpton, Kings Lynn, Luton, Madingley (Cambridge) C5, Sandy Heath

On Wednesday 20th April 2011

Andoversford, Bromsgrove, Bucknell, Churchdown Hill C5, Clun, Coalbrookdale, Eardiston, Ewyas Harold, Garth Hill VP, Haden Hill, Halesowen, Hazler Hill, Hereford, Hope under Dinmore, Kington, Knucklas, Lark Stoke, Ludlow, New Radnor, Oakeley Mynd, Peterchurch, Presteigne, Ridge Hill, Ridge Hill (HTV West), Ross on Wye, St Briavels, The Wrekin, The Wrekin B, Upper Soudley

On or before (projected date) Wednesday 25th May 2011

Ardentinny, Ardnadam, Arrochar, Ayr South, Blackwaterfoot, Bowmore, Campbeltown, Carradale, Catrine, Claonaig, Darvel, Dunure, Garelochhead, Girvan, High Keil, Holmhead, Kirkconnel, Kirkmichael, Kirkoswald VP, Lethanhill, Lochgoilhead, Lochwinnoch, Millburn Muir, Muirkirk, New Cumnock, Port Ellen, Portnahaven, Rosneath, Sorn, Troon, Wanlockhead

On or before (projected date) Wednesday 15th June 2011

Aberfoyle, Cannongate HP, Craigkelly, Grangemouth, Kinross, Newbattle, Penicuik, West Linton

On or before (projected date) Wednesday 22nd June 2011

Abington, Biggar, Black Hill, Bridge of Allan, Broughton, Callander, Cathcart, Clachan, Cumbernauld Village, Deanston, Dollar, Dunoon, Easdale, Fintry, Gigha Island, Glasgow West Central, Glespin, Haddington, Kelvindale, Killearn, Kilmacolm, Kirkfieldbank, Largs, Leadhills, Millport, Netherton Braes, Ravenscraig VP, Rothesay, Rothesay Town, South Knapdale, Strachur, Strathblane, Strathyre, Strathyre Link, Tarbert, Tighnabruaich, Tillicoultry, Twechar, Uplawmoor, West Kilbride

Gavtech,

I know that is the list of DSO timescales - but the switchover from Analogue to Digital does not coincide in any way it seems with the power output of the transmitter - which - according to the guy I was speaking to today - may stay low power even after DSO to avoid interfering with other nearby towers which are still in the process of switchover.

So what I was trying to establish with him today - was which is the next transmitter to go full power.

He stated to me that the power up usually happens between the Stage 1 and Stage 2 timescale (which is a 2 week interval) but again due to interference may not happen and that transmitter may stay low to medium power until others are switched over.

He likened it to have a thousand juggling balls all up in the air at the same time and they were trying to keep everyone happy by not compromising service quality.

After extensive looking through his charts for upcoming work - he settled on the Mendip one being the most likely candidate for upscaling of power due to it already having completed the switchover and the fact that it doesnt appear to interefere with many other nearby transmitters.

He stated to me that the power up usually happens between the Stage 1 and Stage 2 timescale (which is a 2 week interval) but again due to interference may not happen and that transmitter may stay low to medium power until others are switched over.

If they are taking this 'suck it and see' approach it would appear that it is not actually knowable when the power up will occur, since they do not know themselves... but surely the schedule is still a useful guide.

If they are taking this 'suck it and see' approach it would appear that it is not actually knowable when the power up will occur, since they do not know themselves... but surely the schedule is still a useful guide.

I agree - it does seem a bit hit and miss - he had stated to me also that several transmitters had been powered up to a medium power level and then returned to low power again due to problems with interference.

I must have spent about 2 hours on the phone today trying to find out the answer to what I percieve to be a simple question "which is the next transmitter to be switched to full power".

In all I went first to Ofcom - who after three departments told me to contact the BBC - who then put me in touch with digitaluk who were helpful as much as my original post.

BBC - Help receiving TV and Radio - Digital switchover schedule

Is a full list showing that many of the transmitters have already been converted to digital - but like the rest of the sites I have visited - does not give the power up dates - and apparently they dont seem to be available due to the trial and error method of seeing what interefers with what.

I suppose the other question to ask is whether it is even the power output that is causing the problem - since - while surfing around I found the power outputs of the transmitters I was looking at:

Winter Hill
Freeview on Winter Hill TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice
Wednesday 2nd December 2009
Freeview power increases from 10,000W (average) to 73,357W, 7 times stronger.

Mendip
Freeview on Mendip TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice
Wednesday 7th April 2010
Freeview power increases from 10,000W (average) to 55,000W, 5 times stronger.

But more importantly:

Caradon Hill
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SX273707
Wednesday 9th September 2009
Freeview power increases from 4,167W (average) to 75,000W, 17 times stronger.

So as you can see - the Mendip transmitter is already only 18,000W behind the Winter Hill transmitter and Caradon Hill is actually stronger than Winter Hill!

So could this problem be something else such as amplitude of the signal or similar?

Surely if the power output is the issue then the good people of Plymouth, Newquay and St Austell and surrounding aread would also have the same issue as Winter Hill - although there don't seem to be any reported problems?

Last edited:
Sent to 3view customers this PM
I have re-added the fast-forward jump bug to the support system
Peter

Dear 3view customer ,

I’d like to apologise for the lack of technical support over the last few weeks.
3view has had a very difficult time since the beginning of the year with various problems like delayed production, payment gateway partners being difficult and support centres ill prepared. These issues are very important to 3view and fixing them is our top priority. I've had to take the technical support service off-line while some of these issues were addressed.
It's back on line now.

I'm not going to be able to respond to all the backlog – feature requests and comments have been noted but we will not be able to reply. I am going to draw a line and re-start support today. To help, please leave the technical support site to question of a technical nature. Please keep your feature request coming – we have improved the way in which we handle those. I hope many of you have seen your comments reflected already.
If you have a ticket raised and you are waiting for an answer, please raise a new ticket an we will do our best to resolve your issue as fast as we can.
We are testing a new release (34033) and this deals with a number of points. If your question is answered below, then please wait until the new version is released before submitting a new ticket.
New Bug:
5381 - 3View: Progress bar issue with live Tuner 1 stream
When a T1 stream is watched and either Pause or FFwd is requested, the progress bar displays but it appears that the current playback point is not at the live point. This occurs only with T1 streamer with truly live (never been tricked since tuned to) signal. T2 is ok, and T1 is ok once tricked.
Bugs Fixed and Verified:
5179 - 3View: Multiple slow-mo trickplay results in 90x FFwd playback – resolved.
5204 - 3View: Black screen or super FFwd after pause and slow trick – resolved.
5271 - 3View: When chase playing, box auto rewinds at program end – resolved.
5272 - 3View: Recording stops at program end and won't show bonus after – resolved.
5291 - 3View: Won't change channel in chase watch to start dual recording – resolved.
5299 - 3view: "Buffering..." message is not centered – resolved.
5304 - 3View: DVB-SI guide data accented letters in Latin set display issue – resolved.
5327 - 3View: Conflict resolution priority ordering dialog UI problem – resolved.
When you schedule a series recording and there are conflicts found with upcoming episodes, a new Priority Ordering dialog will display to allow the you to change the relative priorities of the shows that are in conflict. When possible, the software will attempt to find an alternative air time for conflicted shows so that fewer recordings are canceled. When this occurs, the user can see the new alternate recording time for the program in the Recordings menu.
5332 - 3View: Playing recording in chase play with next show doesn't stop – resolved.

Bugs Fixed but Not Verified at time of writing:
5290 - 3View: Channel scan sometimes doesn't find all channels
This fix should address the issue has been reported that we sometimes gets fewer than the 100 expected channels when he performs a fresh channel scan or erase and scan. The fix had to do with finding channels on multiple MUX's.
5302 - ICU: First line uppercase accented letters don't display marks
5331 - Low disk space may cause recording glitch

Kindest regards
Ed Silvester
Technical Director
3View Ltd

Hi

Code:
DELETE FROM HelpCalls WHERE HelpCallDate < '2010-12-1'

So you get lots of problems reported that overwhelms you, so how do you sort out the backlog, just delete them all and start again:laugh:

One way of doing it I suppose, but hardly a good way to support your customers.

No mention of Winter Hill HD reception issues. This is more like a hardware issue everyday, it wouldn't surprise me if there has to be some recall on boxes for modification, as they can't seem to fix it with software tweaks, and other HD boxes appear not to have the same issue and are likely using all the same components.

Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it soon, the box seems to be improving and getting more reliable with each software release. Lord knows there are not many PVRs (if any) that haven't need a long period of software updates to get them working 100%.

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
Hi

So you get lots of problems reported that overwhelms you, so how do you sort out the backlog, just delete them all and start again:laugh:

One way of doing it I suppose, but hardly a good way to support your customers.
[snip]

Hmm not quite what his email says but never mind

Peter

Isn't it? I got the same impression.

Odd that. He specifically asks for all outstanding issues to be resubmitted and that all feature requests and comments have been noted, all of which may or may not be true to a greater or lesser extent but it is quit certainly what the email says.....

I'm not going to be able to respond to all the backlog – feature requests and comments have been noted but we will not be able to reply. I am going to draw a line and re-start support today. To help, please leave the technical support site to question of a technical nature. Please keep your feature request coming – we have improved the way in which we handle those. I hope many of you have seen your comments reflected already.
If you have a ticket raised and you are waiting for an answer, please raise a new ticket an we will do our best to resolve your issue as fast as we can.

Odd that. He specifically asks for all outstanding issues to be resubmitted and that all feature requests and comments have been noted, all of which may or may not be true to a greater or lesser extent but it is quit certainly what the email says.....

Maybe they wrote them all down on a bit of paper?

Glade you also have such a smooth experience with your 3 view box that you think all the problems and enhancements could be written on a single piece of paper....

Peter

He doesn't have a 3view box and neither does PhilipL either. They are Humax owners gcpete.

TG

Hi

He doesn't have a 3view box and neither does PhilipL either. They are Humax owners gcpete.

TG

Friend had one for a good few weeks so I know the issues from using it first hand.

Of course we don't need to be current owners or ex-owners to have an opinion, as you will appreciate.

Regards

Phil

TG

And I did have one for two weeks thanks. Please get it right - you could have said "he is an ex owner" or "he had one but returned it".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom