3TB HDD for NAS reccomendations?

moraybank

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 3TB drive to put in a HP microserver running nas4free.
The drive needs to be:
* Fast. Speedy read/write speeds (on a mission to try and max out the Gigabit LAN)
* Reliable. Not running any form of RAID, just gonna JBOD.
* Economical. Something that doesn't eat up too much juice.

The microserver will not be running 24/7, only a few hours per day. It's main purpose is for serving up Blu-Ray rips to various media clients around the house.

I was thinking about WD Reds or Hitachi 5400rpm? Read quite a lot of reports about WD drives being OK but one review I read comparing them to a host of other drives left me underwhelmed.

Ay advice on which drives to go for would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
Your best bet would be a WD Red. Red Drives are designed for 24 hour operation and deal with problems you are likely to experience in a NAS/micro server environment and the support at WD is fantastic. If you are only going to have the unit on for a few hours a day you could get away with WD Green drive and save some money but the reliability isn't so good.

WD Green and WD Red drives run at 5400 RPM where as the quite expensive WD Black Drives run at 7200 RPM.

My advice would be get a WD RED. Here's a helpful video showing the advantages WDC40 Widescreen playlist

+1 on WD REDs.

Will never buy WD Green 3TBs again. RMA'ed 3 before moaning at WD to give me a RED one. Flipping awesome file transfer on SATAIII too! 135-40MB/s!

Worth their weight for sure!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom