3rd Striker - Another DVDRW Not Working

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by TGAM, Jan 6, 2012.

1. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Was wondering if anyone can give me some kinda advice/help which would make me understand why my 3rd DVDRW in 12 months has stopped working. My first DVDRW was an LG which lasted me quite a long time. I would say a good 3 years before it suddenly stopped working last year for no apparent reason... Fair enough. So I bought a new LG on Amazon which lasted about 5 months and was barely ever used, that also randomly stopped writing and then reading discs. Then I bought a new Samsung drive, and that has hardly been used at all. It was working fine last night. I installed Nero 10 from a disc, come today it is not working............. Same old would not write and will not read.

2. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Have you tried the drive on another computer?

Try using a new SATA cable and use a different power connector from the computer's power supply.

3. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it not be some kind of software Summoner? As it seemed to happen upon installing Nero, also when I have just tried to uninstall Nero now I keep getting some message about Windows Uninstaller not working for anything I had installed last night, anything before this date seems to uninstall fine. Some kind of connection between this and the DVDDrive not working?

Every time I put a disc in the drive is spinning up like it is trying to do something.

4. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Impossible to say without trying it on another computer or reinstalling Windows on this one.

The fact it is not showing the contents of an inserted disk makes me think it's not a software fault.

Can you confirm that both data CDs and data DVDs don't read?

Try putting the Windows install DVD into the drive and restart. On some computers you have to press ESC, F10 or F12 to bring up the start-up manager and choose the DVD drive to boot from. If it can start from the Windows DVD then it may be a software fault after all.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  5. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea no CD's or DVD's work. At this point I can't even reinstall Windows as I can't boot it from the CD. When my previous DVDRW's failed I did format the computer and install a new Windows but they still did not work. Just seems weird to me that Drives I have barely ever used would all fail in the same year.

6. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    You have actually tried booting from the install DVD?

If yes then it must be a physical fault (ie: motherboard, cables or DVD drive). Try the drive on another computer.

7. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is not reading any discs. Also Windows seems to struggle to load up when I have a disc in the DVDRW drive. As soon as I take the Disc out it loads up straight away. Very weird!

Tried different cables as well to no avail. Same cables seem to run the Hard Drive fine, everything points to the DVDRW being busted, but what are the chances of 3 of them going in 1 year. 2 LG's and a Samsung.

8. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Bad luck I would say.

Don't suppose the computer is located in a workshop and exposed to huge amounts dust/sand/dirt etc? The optics in the drive don't like that kind of thing.

9. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Naw the computer is a home PC in my bedroom. The first time I thought the LG ones broke I thought was related somehow to mounting ISO's on Daemon Tools. Sounds ridiculous but I felt they both stopped working when having that installed, but not this Samsung seems to have broke by merely installing Nero 10 from the disc. They all had literally hardly any use out of them as I never really use discs on the PC or Burn things, once in a blue moon I will. Seems no valid reason for them to break, it's recognised by the PC but just will not read or write now.

I will check tomorrow if I still have warranty on them as 2 of them are less than 12 months old.

10. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another weird think I must point out is that my PC is detecting a Floppy Disk drive (A:) - I do not have any Floppy Disk drive in my PC, Only a Hard drive connected and my DVDRW drive D:

11. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    You can usually turn that off in the bios.

12. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look in the Bios but couldn't find a way. It's not bothering me apart from I am wondering why it is showing up all of a sudden and I am none the wiser to why my dvdrw can breaking. I don't mind buying a new one but 3 have broke since May 2011 so I can only assume a new one would do the exact same thing.