Question 3rd party router with vodafone

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Is it possible to use a 3rd party router with vodafone ?,
over the past few months iv been getting disconnected from the router when using the 5ghz part of the options.
Wired and 2.4ghz wifi is fine never have any problems with them ..
TV , phone and laptop randomly loose connection every now and again (5ghz) ...
PC's, ps4, NAS drives and nvidia shield are fine been wired

router firmware is up to date ..
but im out of contract with vodafone , so im guessing if i phone vodafone they will want me to take an other contact out "if their offer me an other router"

if i can, are there any good routers to buy ?

psychopomp1

The Vodafone router is utter pants for wifi. Yes, Vodafone will now give you the login info (PPPoE) for your service if you call them, though it used to be impossible a few years ago! Buy something like the TP Link VR2800 (if money is no issue) or TP Link VR900 and you should find its a massive improvement on the Vodafone kit wrt wifi.

psychopomp1

Yeah TP Link is great value kit. So even something like the VR600 would still be a improvement over the Vodafone router. Look on ebay if you don't want to spend too much. For example , a brand new VR600 for only £50 here:

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Looking at the Tp-link routers
do i need a modem ?
i do not have separate one , the only connection to the internet is the BT master socket ...

bt.jpg
which connects straight into the vodafone router/hub ( all in one)

psychopomp1

Any of the TP Link VRxxxx range have modems built so it will simply replace the Vodafone router. Plug the new router into the same socket as the Vodafone is currently plugged into.

milkinc13

I'm running TP Link "TD-W9970" no issues, can't comment on WIFI quality as in a small house.
Also if cost is an issue it can be had for around £30-35

BigA1

Hi,

In the exact same boat and wondering if anyone has been able to put their Vodafone router into modem mode?

From what I am reading its pretty much not a possibility.... so having just gone "all in" and brought a...
...NETGEAR XRM570 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Wi-Fi Router and Mesh Wi-Fi System with DumaOS...

Do I now need to buy a separate modem? Will one of the old white open reach boxes do the trick?

If/when Vodafone roll out gigafast in my area I presume I will need a much better modem to deal with the 900Mbps up and down speeds... tbh I don't know if the netgear router will even cope with that...!

Thanks in advance.

psychopomp1

Hi,

In the exact same boat and wondering if anyone has been able to put their Vodafone router into modem mode?

From what I am reading its pretty much not a possibility.... so having just gone "all in" and brought a...
...NETGEAR XRM570 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Wi-Fi Router and Mesh Wi-Fi System with DumaOS...

Do I now need to buy a separate modem? Will one of the old white open reach boxes do the trick?

If/when Vodafone roll out gigafast in my area I presume I will need a much better modem to deal with the 900Mbps up and down speeds... tbh I don't know if the netgear router will even cope with that...!

Thanks in advance.
Correct, you need a VDSL modem on your Vodafone FTTC service as the Netgear XRM570 doesn't have a VDSL modem built in. Something like the Draytek 130 or Openreach VDSL modem will do the job very nicely.

BigA1

Correct, you need a VDSL modem on your Vodafone FTTC service as the Netgear XRM570 doesn't have a VDSL modem built in. Something like the Draytek 130 or Openreach VDSL modem will do the job very nicely.
Was scouring Amazon and Flebay when I had an inspirational memory...

Went in search of a hidden trove of tech goodies I simply couldn't throw away.... and found this
20201101_192312.jpg

Will give it a whirl later on tonight... and see what happens.

psychopomp1

Was scouring Amazon and Flebay when I had an inspirational memory...

Went in search of a hidden trove of tech goodies I simply couldn't throw away.... and found this
View attachment 1393672

Will give it a whirl later on tonight... and see what happens.

BigA1

I cannot get this bastard to fire up....

20201103_230901.jpg

I've used the netgear app. Wondering if the modem is the problem?

psychopomp1

Do a hard reset on the both the Openreach and Netgear kit and then setup using a PC web browser.

BigA1

Right, so actually no problems at all just me being a dick...

Using the Netgear Nighthawk app, when it tries to connect it didn't work automatically but I went into the manual set up mode and changed the PPPOE to the user and password my ISP gave me and bingo.... we have lift off...

WiFi signal is good and almost trebled the wireless signal in the bedrooms upstairs thanks to the bundled mesh extender.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom