3rd Party router using TalkTalk FTTP

examiga1990

Im hoping to go onto TalkTalks Fibre 500 Data Only at the moment Im on there normal FTTC 80/20 connection using a ZYXEL router
version XMG3927-B50A. This is working great no problems Id like to still use it for the FTTP connection anybody know what settings to change (if any) I know it will be connected up to the Openreach box.

My ZYXEL is also linked to 2 other routers (2 x TP-Link Archer AX50 via cat5e and cat6 cable) in a AP setup all is working great, Parental controls work throughout the system on all routers. Can this (these) routers still work as before and parental control still work as before.

Thank You

psychopomp1

TT use DHCP (rather than PPPoE) on Openreach FTTP just like they do on FTTC so you shouldn't need to change anything on the zyxel router, ie just plug it into the RJ45 port of the ONT and Bob's yer uncle.

examiga1990

TT use DHCP (rather than PPPoE) on Openreach FTTP just like they do on FTTC so you shouldn't need to change anything on the zyxel router, ie just plug it into the RJ45 port of the ONT and Bob's yer uncle.
Thanks for that youve made my day as my ZYXEL is a modem/router do I need to turn the modem bit off?? It will be connected to the WAN port of my ZYXEL will it then and not LAN

psychopomp1

Yes you will need to plug the cable into the WAN port on the Zyxel (rather than DSL port). You can switch off modem if you want but even if you leave settings as they are, this should still work.

examiga1990

Yes Im just starting to get more feed back from this question and that seems to be the answer so many thanks for your help. It seems most of the info on this subject was/is for FTTC connections when using 3rd party routers FTTP connections info seems a bit thin on the ground

strangely tim

I'm on TT Future fibre 500 and they gave me the Eero Pro 6, only two ports on it one in and one out but I picked up a TP-Link switch box plugged the Pro 6 in and away we went, very good for the main TV/PVR/downstairs PC.. If you have a landline you can keep it, mine was free for a year after that if I want to keep it I'd have to pay line rental.

The Pro 6 has been problem free and gives good coverage. I've a cheapo TP Link extender in the kitchen and that linked up to the Pro 6 no problem with a much stronger signal than from the old TT Sagem router (which was no slouch) beaming out to the garden and one of the back attic rooms. Speed when checked is never lower than 470/70 and often hits 500/75. I can't moan at £35 a month, seems a good deal.

examiga1990

I'm on TT Future fibre 500 and they gave me the Eero Pro 6, only two ports on it one in and one out but I picked up a TP-Link switch box plugged the Pro 6 in and away we went, very good for the main TV/PVR/downstairs PC.. If you have a landline you can keep it, mine was free for a year after that if I want to keep it I'd have to pay line rental.

The Pro 6 has been problem free and gives good coverage. I've a cheapo TP Link extender in the kitchen and that linked up to the Pro 6 no problem with a much stronger signal than from the old TT Sagem router (which was no slouch) beaming out to the garden and one of the back attic rooms. Speed when checked is never lower than 470/70 and often hits 500/75. I can't moan at £35 a month, seems a good deal.
I thought they were Data only now and you had to get rid of landline? anyway spanner put in my works my house not ready yet for full fibre but the street parts off it are? God knows how that works out so will have to wait for now. Im lucky I do get a good speed on normal FTTC off WiFi Im getting 72 Mbps. I will still keep my setup if I did with the ZYXEL set in Bridge Mode and keep the TP-Link Archer AX50`s. But sounds like you have a good setup/deal I can only wish for now......where is that Santa Letter......

strangely tim

I presumed it was data only until I spoke to the salesman. The fibre comes off a manifold mounted on your nearby power/phone pole (for me at least) so its a completely separate line from the landline. Grey box mounted on your outside wall, hole drilled through and connected to a compact box indoors. The engineer was more than happy to fit box in a new location (same room). This morning speed tests (not sure how accurate they are) showed 515/75.

examiga1990

I presumed it was data only until I spoke to the salesman. The fibre comes off a manifold mounted on your nearby power/phone pole (for me at least) so its a completely separate line from the landline. Grey box mounted on your outside wall, hole drilled through and connected to a compact box indoors. The engineer was more than happy to fit box in a new location (same room). This morning speed tests (not sure how accurate they are) showed 515/75.
I know BT were giving option of keeping landline but thought TalkTalk just doing Data only and they (Openreach guys) even remove landline they might have changed there mind because as you say if seperate new cable why remove copper line, if customer still wants and will pay extra.

But your speeds sound great. After thinking about it though and with me getting good speed for normal 80/20 connection I cannot complain for the price you paying it is good. I redid my contract a few weeks ago and got full 80/20 package and all day phone calls for £32 so not to bad but If I could I would have took yours and give copper up as dont fancy paying more on top. I dont download torrents the same now its either IPTV box or Firesticks for viewing so as long as these work ok Im fine for now for normal tv viewing. I dont upload stuff so thats not an issue. :)

strangely tim

From what I understand the land line cable is left in place, if you don't need it they cut you off at the exchange.

I had thirteen months left on my old contract which included land line and free calls 24/7 to land line and mobiles and they have left it in with the 500 contract. After 13 months I'd have to pay for line rental and a call package. Its rare the landline is used these days so I'll scrap it when the deal finishes.

On FTTC I was getting typically 65/18 which if I'm honest is fast enough. I really didn't need the extra speed but for the cost of a pint and a half of beer a month extra I upgraded. You may notice a difference game playing and streaming at the same time or download big files/video calls but I'm retired, love tech and ham radio, bit of a silver haired geek so I just had to have it. Daresay I'll upgrade when the 1GB option comes along...don't need it...just want it.

examiga1990

From what I understand the land line cable is left in place, if you don't need it they cut you off at the exchange.

I had thirteen months left on my old contract which included land line and free calls 24/7 to land line and mobiles and they have left it in with the 500 contract. After 13 months I'd have to pay for line rental and a call package. Its rare the landline is used these days so I'll scrap it when the deal finishes.

On FTTC I was getting typically 65/18 which if I'm honest is fast enough. I really didn't need the extra speed but for the cost of a pint and a half of beer a month extra I upgraded. You may notice a difference game playing and streaming at the same time or download big files/video calls but I'm retired, love tech and ham radio, bit of a silver haired geek so I just had to have it. Daresay I'll upgrade when the 1GB option comes along...don't need it...just want it.
don't need it...just want it.

yes same as me really if its there id like to have it if funds allow

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom