3rd party router question & Sky Q Minis

jonbunk

Standard Member
Posting here as understand it is the right forum.

Appreciate any expert guidance please to the issues and potential solutions I think might help with WiFi. It might be I am missing something and over complicating things and there is a very simple addition to my existing set-up which can help with the Wi-Fi situation and laptop point like the Develo Magic 2 WiFi.

Current Sky Products
  • Sky Broadband Superfast
  • 1 x Sky Q Box - hard wired connection (kitchen)
  • 3 x Sky Minis - wifi connection (bedroom, lounge, dinining room - no simple known option to hard wire)
  • 3 x Sky Boosters
  • 1 x Sky Hub (under stairs cupboard - cannot be moved as all wiring returns here as a hub)
  • Wired minimum download Speed 79 Mb/s, average upload speed 20 Mb/s
  • WiFi speed when good (50% time): download 22 - 55 Mb/s, upload 5-18 Mb/s
  • WiFi speed when poor (50% time): download 0.3 - 4 Mb/S, upload 1.7 - 5.9 Mb/s
Core issues to resolve
1. Poor and intermittant WiFi - frequent drop outs 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz or very low download/upload

2. Laptop used in a room for work meetings over WiFi - connection very poor

Potential Solutions
1. Improve WiFI
  • Replace Sky Hub with 3rd party router (under stairs) and a 3rd party modem (under stairs) and install Ubiquiti AP AC Pro x 3 wired throughout the house to serve as WiFi transmitter
Q. Would this render the Sky Mini's unusable? What are the solutions to consider?
  • Potential to hard wire 3 Sky Minis
    • Issue: - v. high cost £1k+, significant cosmetic repair in/outside house diverting existing wiring
  • Powerline Adapters: Devolo Magic 2 WiFi. Plug Sky Minis into ethernet on Powerline Adapters
    • Would this work and are these the best Powerline Adapters to get?
    • Where would main powerline adapter be best to start and why - plug into 3rd party router under stairs or hard wired Sky Q box in kitchen?
    • Would WiFi on Poerline Adapters need to be turned off or ok to use as further booster for house
Q. Would this resolve Laptop issue with if much better WiFi. Any further solutions to consider?
  • Potential to hard wire in the room laptop used
    • Issue: - v. high cost £1k+, significant cosmetic repair in/outside house diverting existing wiring
  • Powerline Adapters: Devolo Magic 2 WiFi. Plug laptop into ethernet on Powerline Adapte
    • Would this work and are these the best Powerline Adapters to get?
  • I assume main powerline adapter plugs into 3rd party router under stairs?
  • Would WiFi on Powerline Adapter need to be turned off or ok to use as further booster for house

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom