Question 3rd party HDMI adapter for iPad... that works!?

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by ericthelobster, Jun 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ericthelobster

ericthelobster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd like to get hold of an adapter to enable me to watch video content from my iPad 3 on a TV screen. For very occasional/'emergency'(!) use only, so I'm afraid I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay the 40 GBP that Apple expect me to stump up for a genuine item; even for a now-obsolete iPad wit the Lightening connector. There seem to be zillions of 3rd party alternatives on Amazon, eBay etc for peanuts, yet the feedback indicates they are very 'hit and miss'.

Is there a way of doing this cheaply? Presumably a wired HDMI adapter is the obvious, simplest way; but something like a wireless method might also be feasible?

2. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Sumvison cyclone miracast dongle

3. ericthelobster

ericthelobster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that... having googled this, it does look as if it would fit the bill; can you or anyone maybe expand on the above a bit? Is it effective? does it definitely work with Apple kit?

What I'm struggling with a bit is why when you read reviews of stuff, some people say 'works brilliantly with my iPad', whereas others say 'my iPad refused even to recognise it' . Why are things apparently so hit and miss when it comes to 3rd party Apple gadgets?

4. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Had never had a shot of it when I recommended it just new that I had a dongle which did Android, Apple and Windows.

Had a shot tonight at a friends who has an IPad 2 and it was OK, it depends what you want to do with it, anything that needs itunes access won't work as the iPad will try to connect to your router for internet rather than using internet sharing via the dongle.

5. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    You use airplay to mirror the screen but its not intuitive so unless you are a wee bit tech savvy I can see where the bad reviews stem from, unless it works straight away and is seamless folks just give up.