• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

3rd Party Chargers

existent

Prominent Member
I want to buy a car charger for the Canon LPE5 type batteries. Canon's own model is £80-£100 whereas, 3rd party chargers are less than £10...

Does anyone have any experience with the 3rd party chargers? I know many people use 3rd party batteries and they are happy with them, but haven't seen anything about chargers.

Are they reliable? Or am I better of going with the expensive one?

mickey

Distinguished Member
i have used thrid party chargers in the past , and havn,t had any problems with them, handy when you have more than one battery to charge at the same time, ( take both batteries out of a grip and charge them at the same time rather than 1 at a time)., as long as the charger has overcharge protection you really shouldnt have a problem. Mike

drsuave

Established Member
The 3rd party chargers and batteries for my 40D work fine.

With my batteries for my 5D mk2 (LP-E6) 3rd party chargers wont work, and the orginal charger wont take 3rd party batteries.

mucca_D

Prominent Member
The 3rd party chargers and batteries for my 40D work fine.

With my batteries for my 5D mk2 (LP-E6) 3rd party chargers wont work, and the orginal charger wont take 3rd party batteries.

This is an interesting point. with my 400D I had only one real canon battery, the others were from 7dayshop and ebay, not an issue. I also had a thirdparty incar charger that worked a treat.

Did not even think about it when I go the 5dMkII went and ordered a batt and an incar from ebay.
The charger will not see the canon battery and visa versa.

Also when I put the ebay Batt in the camera it lets me use it but does not report the battery level of charge, which is a pain in the bum.

Anyone manged to use a thirdparty LP-E6 with no issue?

mickey

Distinguished Member
i dont think a third party charger will ever work with the original 5d mk2 batteries, canon have made them more like video cam batteries the info-lithium type that display minutes left, etc.mike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom