3rd Party Bluetooth Audio Receiver

Dan Turner

Hi all, after a bit of advice/opinion.
I have been buying parts etc to put together my first Frankenstein AV system which is getting there. The receiver I am using (Yamaha RX-V459 for reference) doesn't have any streaming options so for the time being I have been using an RCA-to-3.5mm cable for connect my phone etc to play music.
Recently it snapped to me that I could just but a Bluetooth audio receiver to do the job.
My question is regarding the standard to buy. To me the "reputable" brands such as Yamaha, belkin or QED are in the £40 region. Not breaking the bank or anything but for something I would probably only use intermittently maybe on the high side. Whereas you can buy a generic Bluetooth 3.0 audio receiver which connects to the 3.5mm jack for £10.
Would these devices be much of a muchness or is this going to be a case of buy-cheap-buy-twice, or buy-cheap-and-it-will-only-half-function-and-I'll-throw-it-out-the-window-after-a-week? Or alternatively is there a happy middle ground someone can suggest?

I apologise for the brain dump.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

amcluesent

You should get one which support the Apt-X protocol.

Dan Turner

Thanks for the reply. Forgive my ignorance but can you give a brief explanation of what the Apt-X protocol is and why it should be my top priority?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom