Promoted 3rd Gen P5 brings 30% PQ improvement for Philips 2019 OLED TVs

Philips TV PQ

Established Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
Philips bespoke P5 processing series has been an outstanding success with the company’s OLED models winning more than 43 Awards across European media in 2018 alone and 54 in total so far - helping to re-establish Philips as a premium TV brand more than capable of competing at the highest-end of the market.

All P5 processors work on perfecting the five key elements to good picture quality: Source quality, sharpness, colour, contrast and motion. New for 2019 is the 3rd Gen P5, now implemented in a special two-chip arrangement, that maintains the optimised order of processing of the original P5 but adds additional computational power to key intensive parts of the processing chain – the overall result is a doubling of the processing power and a 30% PQ improvement over the already market leading 2nd generation P5 chip.

3rd Gen P5 brings reference quality images to the new flagship OLED+984 and OLED+934 models with their superb Bowers & Wilkins sounds systems – the details of which will be discussed in a sperate post. The new 3rd Gen P5 also gives an identical picture performance in the new 804/854 OLED models,

In all cases, the new processing engine has the power to bring PQ improvements to both Philips TV’s unique Perfect Natural Reality feature, plus better overall HDR performance for both HDR10 & HDR10+ sources.

The Philips TV PQ team has also worked in close partnership with Dolby Labs to allow the key benefits of P5 to be optimised for Dolby Vision encoded HDR content, which in the case of the 3rd generation P5 has brought improvements including lower noise and artefacts, to produce a picture that is both sharper and smoother.

If you’d like more information, look out for news coming soon of an exciting AV Forums Readers’ event with our partners at Dolby, and giving the opportunity to explore Dolby Vision and see our 2019 sets performance first-hand.

P5 Picture improvements

The 3rd Gen P5 processing engine brings a much-improved performance to Philips unique, and widely praised Perfect Natural Reality feature. As most content is still available in SDR, the Perfect Natural Reality ability to upscale SDR content to full HDR performance is still essential for most consumers.

3rd Gen P5 features an improved inverse tone mapping technology for both local and global contrast enhancement. New for 2019 is a specular detection function plus better regional classification and skin tone protection. This combination produces a more realistic image with better detail and more depth impression, contrast, sharpness and improved colours.

1.jpg

Most importantly, PNR can offer better colour and contrast while also offering an improved performance for skin tones to ensure they always look natural and realistic.

2.jpg

Other overall performance improvements offered by the 3rd Gen P5 include an improved Digital Noise Reduction function thanks to additional de-contour enhancement, enhanced Bit-depth calculation and increased sparse filtering, to give a cleaner and sharper picture.

3.jpg

An improved Detail Enhancer now features a Detail Protection and Restoration function to accurately transform original pixels into sharper pixels while dejaggy filtering works to effectively narrow low and high angle diagonal lines to result in a visibly more refined image with finer lines, and greater, deeper details.

4.jpg

Better HDR performance

Outstanding HDR performance has always been a strength of the P5 processing engine but the 3rd Gen P5 still manages to offer improvements in three areas.

More detail becomes visible in very dark scenes. Rather than ‘crushed’ black, the 3rd Gen P5 uses its additional power and increased bit resolution to ensure no loss of detail occurs in the darkest images.

5.jpg

Secondly, 3rd Gen P5 can also improve performance in bright scenes, with the increase in bit resolution and bit depth ensuring that no colour clipping occurs.

6.jpg

Finally, the 3rd Gen P5 can more accurately reproduce subtle colour nuances and can remove colour banding.

7.jpg

In short, the performance of all P5 equipped Philips OLED TVs has been widely acknowledged as outstanding over the past two years but with the 3rd Gen P5 the company has been able to offer distinct enhancements to the reproduction of both SDR and HDR content to ensure that the 2019 Philips OLEDs retain their place as the reference PQ standard at the premium segment of the market.

Vincent Teoh's review of the 804 states that the TV has undefeatable sharpening going on. That issue puts a fair amount people off from buying a TV. Any chance of fixing this via software?

The statement is incorrect. Our sharpening is totally OFF in case of sharpness = “0”

Vincent is making the statement based on a kind of zone plate test pattern, which in case of 4:2:2 processing is creating some artefacts. We have a mode in our TV which you can set to 4:4:4 processing in which the artefacts will not be there, and in both cases sharpness is set to OFF or 0. So my point is it's not the sharpness level that is causing this problem but 4:x:x processing.

So is it the software that Vincent is using causing the problem or the way your TV see's the incoming signal and adjusts it. can Vincent confirm that in his review??

Also do you work for Philips if so where can I see one of your TVs in the flesh so I can make my own mind up 🤔

If you work for Philips can you elaborate on Philips new Oled line ups input lag? Many reviews say that it is over 30 ms (which is more than on last years models) and some reviews claim 15 ms input lag. Which one is correct? Does sport image preset reduce the input lag?

Hmm does Avforums sponsor mean this person is legit and does work for Philips. And they are approved by Phil.

The statement is incorrect. Our sharpening is totally OFF in case of sharpness = “0”

Vincent is making the statement based on a kind of zone plate test pattern, which in case of 4:2:2 processing is creating some artefacts. We have a mode in our TV which you can set to 4:4:4 processing in which the artefacts will not be there, and in both cases sharpness is set to OFF or 0. So my point is it's not the sharpness level that is causing this problem but 4:x:x processing.
Mode? Monitor mode? Or something else.

So is it the software that Vincent is using causing the problem or the way your TV see's the incoming signal and adjusts it. can Vincent confirm that in his review??
We are in discussion with Vincent. Will report back shortly

If you work for Philips can you elaborate on Philips new Oled line ups input lag? Many reviews say that it is over 30 ms (which is more than on last years models) and some reviews claim 15 ms input lag. Which one is correct? Does sport image preset reduce the input lag?
Yes this is an official Philips response. Answers are from the technical team. Input lag for the 804 is 33ms in Game mode. Can't comment on how third parties derive their figures. There isn't a sports image mode on Philips sets.

Also do you work for Philips if so where can I see one of your TVs in the flesh so I can make my own mind up 🤔
Current OLED retail: 55 OLED754 is in Richer Exeter, Glasgow, Nottingham, Plymouth, Reigate & York stores.
55OLED804 is in Richer Cheltenham, Exeter, Guildford, London City, Leeds, Oxford, Reading, Solihull, Tunbridge Wells Stores.
65OLED804 is in Richer Kingston.
55OLED804 is in John Lewis Oxford Street, Peter Jones, Milton Keynes, Southampton, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leicester & Ashford.
55OLED+934 is in John Lewis Oxford Street, Peter Jones, Bluewater, Milton Keynes, Stratford, Southampton, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Reading, Leeds.
65OLED+984 is in John Lewis Oxford Street, Peter Jones, Bluewater, Milton Keynes, Stratford, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Reading, Trafford Park and Leeds.
65" 754, 804, 934, 984 in Harrods.
Dixons Stores to go live 11th November - store and product details TBC
Selfridges live in November
55 & 65 OLED854 in store with Costco - TBC very shortly.
More stores to follow.

And I don't mean South Wales Australia ! The Wales where the best rugby team in the world comes from.:clap:

Not 'some reviews', only one reviewer writing the same review for several publications. Namely John Archer who does not use the Bodnar device to measure input lag but still uses the timer method.

Yes this is an official Philips response. Answers are from the technical team. Input lag for the 804 is 33ms in Game mode. Can't comment on how third parties derive their figures. There isn't a sports image mode on Philips sets.

Thanks for the quick response. It's sad that the input lag is 2-3 times more than the competitions. I have already ordered the 65OLED854 based on wrong information and now it's seems I have to return it. What a pity since it seems to be good tv in other regards and I do like the ambilight.

Not 'some reviews', only one reviewer writing the same review for several publications. Namely John Archer who does not use the Bodnar device to measure input lag but still uses the timer method.

There was also YouTube revier "Lo mjor en 4k" who claimed 15 ms input lag. It's shame that when it comes to gaming all the TV reviews state is the input lag. It would be nice to also know how much visual fidelity the TV in the review sacrefices when the game mode is on and how fluid is the experienced motion overall. It would be also nice to know what refresh rates/resulutions are supported.

I have moved from an LG C7 Oled to a Philips 804 and I cant tell any difference in terms of input lag. Yet find the gaming motion of the Philips to be better especially in 30hz content on my x1x. I genuinely love game mode on the 804. For me this is a classic case of figures not revealing everything going on here.

For me this is a classic case of figures not revealing everything going on here.
More a case of overemphasis on inputlag numbers by 'amateur' gamers 😜 (especially since the Bodnar device came out, the same tv's measure quite a bit lower using the old method as evidenced here with a 33ms Bodnar and 15ms timer measurement).

There was also YouTube revier "Lo mjor en 4k" who claimed 15 ms input lag.
Just checking the review it sounds/looks like he simply read it in the Archer review. If you can make a video and have a Bodnar device you would probably show the measurement ...
It's shame that when it comes to gaming all the TV reviews state is the input lag. It would be nice to also know how much visual fidelity the TV in the review sacrefices when the game mode is on and how fluid is the experienced motion overall. It would be also nice to know what refresh rates/resulutions are supported.
Agree this is a point that is barely ever covered. In the early 4K days I believe it was covered a few times but the last couple of years it is barely mentioned anymore. Probably means it is hardly worth mentioning anymore because the differences are so small now.

And I don't mean South Wales Australia ! The Wales where the best rugby team in the world comes from.:clap:
By mid-November there should be Swansea and - I appreciate its not that close - Bristol. Rugby, we'll see tomorrow!

Thanks for the reply, How about Costco in Cardiff will they get any. Or any other store around the Cardiff area.

hey there can you help me out i recently picked up the pus 7334 and having issues with the dobly vision content with my atv4k. i called philps for support but got no help and no one has retuned my call that was well over a week ago .

i have tried all settings on the tv, done factory resets as well as reinstalling the tv and firmware update. i have also gone through the settings on the apple tv and with apple support and they don't know whats going on either.

any help would be appreciated as its ruining my enjoyment of this tv set and was so looking forward to trying out dolby vision.

thanks if you could help me out i would really appreciate the assistance.

Attachments

• dolby vision.jpg
    dolby vision.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom