1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3M MP8780/Fujitsu LPF8200 Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NZMario, Jul 25, 2003.

1. NZMario

NZMario

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum and hopefully I am posting in the right place! I would like some advice if possible...

I am thinking of purchasing a second hand projector....it is a 3M MP8780 (rebadged Fujitsu LPF8200 I understand) LCD projector.....

I have tested the projector and found the display to show quite a sizeable green tinge on the output, (centre to bottom left area of the display) as well as a slight reddish tinge to the top right hand corner of the display.
    The green shows up on a black picture but is hard to see on a white picture. The red shows up on a white picture, but is hard to see in dark pictures.....

The bulb timer shows only 106 hours, and the bulb appears to be in good condition. My question is, does this sound like an expensive repair, and what is the likely possible cause?
    I am looking to get the projector for approx $1000 NZD, ($450 - $500USD approx)

I realise it is probably very difficult to troubleshoot this problem without seeing the machine, but any advice, (good or bad) that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Mark

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums !

The condition you describe is a colour uniformity problem - I think it's normally attributed to poor quality in the prism/optics. Some projectors have this condition from new, some more pronounced than others. It can be minimised by reducing the brightness setting of the projector, but cannot be eliminated completely without changing the optics of the projector, to the best of my knowledge.

Colour uniformity problems can also come from heat damage to the optics of the projector, but this usually manifests itself by "yellowing" of the picture, most noticeable an an all white screen, and in extreme cases, can completely distort the colour rendition of the projector. The condition you describe does not sound like this to me.

You need to satisfy yourself whether this issue with the projector you mention is sufficiently off-putting to make you dissatisfied with it - while you might be "wowed" by the impact of the picture at first, it could be something that could "niggle" you over time.
    If you're getting it at a bargain price and intend using it on a casual basis then it might well suit your needs, as you wouldn't be making a substantial outlay for it in the first place.

I haven't checked the specifications of the projector, but I'm assuming that you're satisfied that it's suitable for you from the point of view of light output etc, and that, the uniformity issue aside, you're happy with the picture it projects.

If it was me I would be using the colour uniformity issue to knock the price down very hard... a brand new entry level 16:9 projector designed for home cinema can be bought in the UK for £650 or thereabouts, it's up to you how you bargain.

I know that markets differ to a certain degree, and that it is difficult to be certain without seeing the projector in question or knowing what else is available to you, but, for what it's worth, I think that $450 - $500 USD would seem a reasonable figure to consider - I'd still use the uniformity issue to try to depress the price form that level, if I could.

All the best,

Sean G.

3. NZMario

NZMario

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Sean,

Now that you mention it , it does appear a little yellowish on white backgrounds.....the specs of the projector are quite good for it's age, it is 2300 lumens, native 1024x768 etc etc......from what I can see it does project a very nice and sharp picture....it was just the colour uniformity issue......

If I were to have it repaired, is something like that an expensive repair generally? I am guessing replacing the optics would be a fairly expensive repair for most projectors......

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mark,

You'd have to make enquiries locally to see what it would cost but at a guess I'd say that it would probably exceed the kind of purchase price you're indicating for the projector.

Sean G.