3GS replacement for missing volume switch?

melmorc

My mum has a 4 month old 3GS and I've just noticed the volume switch button on the left hand side is missing! No idea where or how but you can still control the volume up or down using your finger nail. But would Apple replace this under have warranty free?

Also, it's on an O2 contract - as our nearest Apple Store is a fair old way away, if she went to her local O2 store, would they replace it under warranty?

I'm aware if Apple store is the only option then an appointment will be needed.

Many thanks

MC77

Don't go to o2, they're a nightmare compared to Apple for repairs and stuff. If you cannot get to an Apple store then go onto Apple's support pages and request a repair, they will send you a prepaid package to put the phone in and post to them and then they'll send you a replacement.

Now, normally they're pretty quick, the two times I've done it before I've posted on a Monday and received it back by Friday the same week, but it is coming up to Christmas so may take a little longer. And of course you have to sort out a replacement phone in the mean time.

melmorc

Thanks MikeCleal. So you think they'd def replace free under warranty? Never had to use this before and my mum is gutted.

MC77

Apple are normally pretty good when it comes to warranty replacements, just ensure when you complete the online forms you explain that the phone hasn't been dropped or treated badly, and the button just fell off and it was gone before you noticed it. I have heard of that happening to 3GS' before so I don't think they'll be a problem.

Just get your Mum to back up her phone via iTunes before she sends it off as they'll send you a new (actually refurbished, but you'll never notice the difference between a new and refurb unit) so it'll be blank and need a restore to get all her details back on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom