3GS j/b using Blackra1n

EDAV

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a 3GS (3.1.2) I jailbroke about 10 months ago using Blackra1n.
I really would like to upgrade to OS4 but not to sure whether to or not.
What options do i have?

I have a 3GS (3.1.2) I jailbroke about 10 months ago using Blackra1n.
I really would like to upgrade to OS4 but not to sure whether to or not.
What options do i have?

wait for limera1n to come.

running the exact same versions as you and holding out.

should hopefully be available anytime now

Dal

If you have an untethered/old bootrom and are already JB (and looks like you do) and have not used Spirit (which you have not) then you can make your own custom iOS4 firmware using sn0wbreeze (windows) or pwnage tool (Mac) and update using 'shift+restore'

Aye, but there is no release date and they cannot release as it contains Apple code. Could be tomorrow, could be next month...

If you have an untethered/old bootrom and are already JB (and looks like you do) and have not used Spirit (which you have not) then you can make your own custom iOS4 firmware using sn0wbreeze (windows) or pwnage tool (Mac) and update using 'shift+restore'

Have you tried this method?

Also silly question - how can I ensure it will update using the latest backup I have in iTunes so keeps all my txts and numbers.

I have only jailbreaked once using blackra1n so never needed to restore before.

I'm really tempted to give this a go today - once I know how the restore would work.

Thanks

Dal

Yes I am on iOS4 JB :)
Check your bootrom status first with this link :)

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

If you do indeed have the old bootrom, continue with this tutorial and you will be good:-

Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie

Note the latest is sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 which fixed a bug with ireader

how you finding it?

I'm pretty sure I have the old boot rom I'm running 3.1.2 at the moment.

Gonna power up the laptop and give this a go now - I can't wait any longer.

Any more tips before I get stuck in?

Dal

how you finding it?

I'm pretty sure I have the old boot rom I'm running 3.1.2 at the moment.

Gonna power up the laptop and give this a go now - I can't wait any longer.

Any more tips before I get stuck in?

Dal

Only that I did Expert mode as I did not want his boot logo on startup, I prefer the apple :) and set it for non activate as I am on a legitimate carrier so I activate through iTunes anyway.

Only that I did Expert mode as I did not want his boot logo on startup, I prefer the apple :) and set it for non activate as I am on a legitimate carrier so I activate through iTunes anyway.

yeah exactly the same - will do expert for apple logo and im on o2 anyways so dont need to worry about that.

just downloading the IPSW now - backup done in ROCK and iTunes so i think im pretty much all set.

thanks for the help mate :thumbsup:

Dal

w3dal Can you do me a favour and let me know when Limera1n comes out.
Thanks m8

Limea1n might never come out, Geohot has been quite clear about his intentions not to release his exploit in the near future which is a pity. If and when it does I think you will read about it on every forum and search engine :)

tried to get this to work - but it keeps failing on a code 2

so now my iPhone is useless. Gonna have to bite the bullet and upgrade to 4.0 and leave the JB as it now just had the itunes and cable logo and stuck in recovery/DFU mode.

Was worth a shot

Dal

i had 3.1.2 after reading on the dev teams site and getting my mate to check if i had the old bootrom ( i had :) )he sorted out the pwnagetool 4.0.1 to hack the ios4 for it to include the cydia and hacktivation and leave my baseband as it was installed unlocked on both me and the wifes 3gs
happy days

couldnt have done it with out my mate as he had a mac :)

If i upgrade the 10 month old 3GS - 3.1.2 to OS4 will i loose my jailbreak totally?

Any development with Jailbreaking an iPhone 3gs that has been upgraded to OS4?

all this JB talk is bashing my head!!

so is there any safe stable JBs out yet for the 3gs on 4.0 or is everyone waiting for a stable one to be released?

Just wait for the Spirit jailbreak if you are worried.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom