3G speeds/coverage/reception on Three

My move from O2 to 3 has been completed...

Finally got O2 to give me the PAC over the phone....3 took under 24 hours to switch and I'm already getting way better reception at home (where their coverage map says unlikely inside!!)

Obviously a couple of weeks will be needed to test thoroughly but like I said before...can't be any worse :smashin:

i,m on three payg and get the £15 add on , so recieve 300 minutes , 3000 texts and unlimited internet .
i was with giffgaff but could never seem to get a good 3g signal , i would much rather pay £5 more and get to be able to use my internet wherever and whenever .

wasn't using half the amount of minutes giffgaff offered on there £10 goodybag anyhow and customer service over at giffgaff was run by incompetent idiots who were only replying to a question to get some payback .

i know a lot of people have said the three customer service is terrible but i am yet to need to call them .
speeds are impressive and the clarity of voice calls is a million miles away from what i got with giffgaff (o2) .

i must say that i have called threes customer services twice now, and they have been faultless. imo better than vodafone and as good as or if not better than orange !!! one of the reasons that i left orange was because the guy in retentions didnt know his arse from his elbow and insisted i needed an iphone add on at £10 per month.

no complaints at all from me.

I'm with three for past 5 years, and no issues / complaints so far! I'm on their one plan and use iPhone as wifi hotspot that shares connection with iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad.

IMG_0570.png

suniil said:
I'm with three for past 5 years, and no issues / complaints so far! I'm on their one plan and use iPhone as wifi hotspot that shares connection with iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad.

WHOAH! 4 meg down?? Where do you live??!

Hi,

I've been reading the comments on speed with interest.

I joined Three last Friday purchasing and iPhone 4. Since then I've been absolutely delighted with the use of the Personal Hotspot and the download speeds I have achieved, typically 1.40 kb/s. (This is THREE times faster than my normal, very rural broadband, hence the delight!) HOWEVER, suddenly this afternoon my download speed has dropped dramatically to .59 kb/s. And I can see no reason for this. Unless Three are doing some sort of "capping" to my speed. I've rebooted iPhone and MacBook with no appreciable improvement to my speed. Any suggestions? :blush:

I was in the local Apple store recently and was talking to a staff member there. I told her I was on O2 and was thinking of switching to THREE when my contract ends because I am attracted by unlimited internet access via THREE. Whereas O2 no longer offer unlimited internet access on new contracts.

She advised me NOT to go with THREE because they "share" capacity on other networks and I would find internet speed would suffer especially at peak times.

Any one else found this? Is there an App available for my iPhone to show what speeds I am currently getting on the O2 network?

She advised me NOT to go with THREE because they "share" capacity on other networks and I would find internet speed would suffer especially at peak times.
That is complete & utter nonsense. There is some sharing of masts with Orange/T-Mobile (Everything Everywhere) in Mobile Broadband Network Ltd (MBNL) which is a very good thing as it provides better coverage. In various independent reviews Three have consistently better 3G coverage & higher network speeds than other networks

I was in the local Apple store recently and was talking to a staff member there. I told her I was on O2 and was thinking of switching to THREE when my contract ends because I am attracted by unlimited internet access via THREE. Whereas O2 no longer offer unlimited internet access on new contracts.

Any one else found this? Is there an App available for my iPhone to show what speeds I am currently getting on the O2 network?

search itunes for "speedtest" its a great free app for doing just that !

I just noticed that Three's £25/month SIM-only One Plan is now on a 1 month rolling contract. When I signed up a couple of months ago it was a 12 month minimum. This is good news for anyone who wants to try out the service. http://threestore.three.co.uk/plandetails.aspx?tariffid=5632
The one plan is great value but if you don't need all the minutes, check out payg with a £15 add on. 300 mins, 3000 txts and all you can eat data for 30 days

I just noticed that Three's £25/month SIM-only One Plan is now on a 1 month rolling contract. When I signed up a couple of months ago it was a 12 month minimum. This is good news for anyone who wants to try out the service. http://threestore.three.co.uk/plandetails.aspx?tariffid=5632

I have an iPhone 4, Just received this deal today purchased online via topcashback, should get £48 back not sure how that works on a 30 day rolling contract?

I inserted sim earlier, could not get any data, no 3G status, could not enter Internet 3 internet settings, not sure why? Anyway need to wait a day for my number to be transferred from O2 so I've put O2 sim back. I'll see what happens tomorrow:smashin:

Last edited:
I have an iPhone 4, Just received this deal today purchased online via topcashback, should get £48 back not sure how that works on a 30 day rolling contract?

I inserted sim earlier, could not get any data, no 3G status, could not enter Internet 3 internet settings, not sure why? Anyway need to wait a day for my number to be transferred from O2 so I've put O2 sim back. I'll see what happens tomorrow:smashin:

Since replacing the three sim in my iPhone 3 this morning my old number has been transferred and and I seem to be getting 3g status consistently now, 2 reception bars. Did a speed check and was happy with speeds compared to O2 :smashin: I've attached screen grab of test result.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 206
I've had a IPhone 3G for nearly 3 years on O2 living in the Sheffield area.

I've been reasonably impressed with O2, give it about 7 out of 10.
Sheffield is quite hilly and every now and again I'll lose 3G in small pockets but overall coverage isn't bad.

I've wanted a White IPhone 4 for ages and patiently waited. I was tempted to wait for the IPhone 5 but I don't expect the improvements to be a massive step up.

Therefore I bought a White IPhone 4 last week.

I've heard bad things about 3 but it is comfortably the cheapest , also bear in mind that I want to use the tethering facility.

Therefore I tentatively signed up for a 3 contract & so far I'm cautiously pleased. The 3G signal seems fine & works in more areas than my O2 iPhone.

Plus points of 3 over O2.

1: only had it a week but 3G coverage seems better than O2.
2: don't appear to be any reception faults where you had to hold the phone a certain way.
3: the download speed over 3G & wifi is much faster that before, at least twice as fast. Although this might be more about IPhone 4 v IPhone 3G & not the mobile providers.
4: rang 3 Customer Services to give them my PAC code & although they had an Indian accent they were very professional & polite. Waited only about 5 minutes on the free call number & that was ringing at 12.30 lunchtime.
They said I'd be connected early the following morning & that is what happened.

Negatives of 3
1: although I get a 3G reception in most areas the strength bars keep changing even when the phone is static & untouched. In the first few days I often kept getting a message "lost connection" but then it would instantly reconnect to 3G again. I read a tip that you should change the supplier from "3" to "automatic" in the settings & now I dont get the no connection message.

2: I've tried tethering from my IPhone to IPad and IPhone to laptop and it works fine, however the speed is quite slow and I wouldn't want to be using this arrangement on a regular basis.

Also when I rang O2 to cancel my contract they offered me a deal. I told them I'd already bought a phone in 3, they asked for my reason & I said they were by far the cheapest. The lady said that I should be careful with 3. She said their 3G coverage is good but their 2g coverage is terrible.

She said if I end up in an area without 3G then my phone won't work??

So I turned off the 3G on my IPhone & made a call without any problem.

I'll be able to report on the joys and trials of 3 in a month or 2 but so far I'm pleased and have no regrets.

Why do these people lie through thier teeth, its a joke. 02 also stated that 3 don't offer unlimited data, that it's capped to 1gb when my partner jumped ship. These companies seriously need to either train their staff or get punished for telling b******t

Why do these people lie through thier teeth, its a joke. 02 also stated that 3 don't offer unlimited data, that it's capped to 1gb when my partner jumped ship. These companies seriously need to either train their staff or get punished for telling b******t
Trading Standards are getting much hotter on this sort of lying from companies to try & get your custom. Scottish and Southern Energy have just been found guilty of lying to customers with a sales script that pretended that consumers were over-paying for energy when they didn't have a clue what they were paying.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom