3G or not?

andyuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there my bro lives in America and is going to order me an Ipad 2 (About a 3 week lead time) from his local Apple Store but before i place the order i wanted to know if i should get the 3G or not?

I had always planned to get the 3G as i like picking up emails & surfing the net on my travels as & when needed but i have since been told by a few people that there is no need for 3G as i can just pick up my 3G signal from my Iphone 4 which i always have on me.

Is this correct information and if it is does this system work perfectly & easily? Do i have to set it up everytime i need to access the 3G or do i just set the Ipad to read the Iphone's 3G once & then its set up al the time? Also is it a 100% match on the 3G signal the phone is picking up or will it not be as strong?

Its sounds great with no need to buy 3G but i am worrying it will have to be set up everytime you need it or it may not pick up the full signal?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Andy

Yes you can, it's called thethering & is very easy to setup. You can choose either a Bluetooth or wifi connection too.

ok so i don't need to be in a wifi zone to pick up 3G via this tethering then? So lets say i am out & about & my Iphone 4 is showing 3G signal i can then send this signal direct to my Ipad correct?

Do i need to set this up every time or just set it to read once & then it automatically does?

Sounds great but a few more questions:-

1. Do you have to set it up everytime you require it or just set it up once and then it automatically picks up the signal if your phone is in range?

2. On my current email settings on my phone it uses O2 as the outgoing SMTP so would this also work if i set my email settings to O2 on the Ipad so i can send emails as well as receive them from the Ipad?

Thanks

Most mobile operators charge you extra to use tethering on the iPhone.

I would have thought that the cost for tethering would be similar to what you would pay for a iPad 3G data plan. Also by not paying that extra £100 premium for 3G it kind of works out.

I went for a 3G model just in case, but so far I've not even put a SIM card in it and can't see me doing so any time soon. I don't really see the need to browse on the iPad when I'm out and about, especially when my iPhone picks up my mail anyway and can be pulled out quickly to search for something...

edit: I've just spoken to 3, and their "One Plan" comes with "All you can eat" data for £25p/m and they won't charge extra for tethering.

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Hope I can be of help. I bought a 64gig 3G 1st Gen ipad when they came out. To date I haven't used the 3G as I haven't been able to justify paying extra when I have an iphone4. My iPhone4 is on O2.

Then out of the blue 2 weeks ago I learned the data part of my iphone4 can be a separate package and for an extra £1 I can get 500mb & be able to tether to my iPad. If I find I am using up to 1gig I could change and increase my allowance to 1gig per month for an extra £5. So far I haven't needed to.

The beauty of this is your iphone4 becomes a hotspot and the iPad simply picks it up as wifi. You only enter the password once and turn it on your iphone4 when you want to use. It's great for watching sky sports on my iPad instead of my iphone4 when out and about or surfing the net.

Feel free to ask any questions. The package is called the works for the data with O2.

Simples.

Hi Andy

Hope I can be of help. I bought a 64gig 3G 1st Gen ipad when they came out. To date I haven't used the 3G as I haven't been able to justify paying extra when I have an iphone4. My iPhone4 is on O2.

Then out of the blue 2 weeks ago I learned the data part of my iphone4 can be a separate package and for an extra £1 I can get 500mb & be able to tether to my iPad. If I find I am using up to 1gig I could change and increase my allowance to 1gig per month for an extra £5. So far I haven't needed to.

The beauty of this is your iphone4 becomes a hotspot and the iPad simply picks it up as wifi. You only enter the password once and turn it on your iphone4 when you want to use. It's great for watching sky sports on my iPad instead of my iphone4 when out and about or surfing the net.

Feel free to ask any questions. The package is called the works for the data with O2.

Simples.

Thanks for the response that sounds great!

So all it takes it a simple switch on my Iphone 4 settings then my 3G signal from my Iphone automatically sends to my Ipad correct? I can ring O2 up & for £1 extra per month i get 500mb which is all i would need.

Also can i use my O2 SMTP email settings on my Ipad so i can send emails from my Ipad using my Iphone tethering? I think my current smtp settings is smtp.o2.co.uk or similar as this would be important to me as i would prefer to use my Ipad to send emails from when i am out & about over my Iphone.

Thanks again
Andy

Spot on. I posted my questions on the O2 forum and some kind geezer explained it all to me. Happy Days.

The setting you need is Personal Hotspot on your Iphone4.

I'm currently selling my 3G iPad to get a wifi iPad2.

Last edited:
I have the 3G and for £10 bought a t mobile sim which allows me to browse 500mb a month for a whole year!

I much prefer this than having to connect to my iPhone . I like the fact that if my iPhone battery runs lows I can still use the iPad independently. Plus when I go abroad I can buy a sim and use it in there.

I have the 3G and for £10 bought a t mobile sim which allows me to browse 500mb a month for a whole year!

I much prefer this than having to connect to my iPhone . I like the fact that if my iPhone battery runs lows I can still use the iPad independently. Plus when I go abroad I can buy a sim and use it in there.

£10 for 12 months data or £10 per month?

I saw this at the bottom of the SIM deal linked to above...

500MB per month
Please note that the 12 months free internet is for the iPhone 4 only and is not available for the iPad or any other device.

Is there any way they could tell if I put it in my iPad? :confused:

I saw this at the bottom of the SIM deal linked to above...

500MB per month
Please note that the 12 months free internet is for the iPhone 4 only and is not available for the iPad or any other device.

Is there any way they could tell if I put it in my iPad? :confused:
No.

Don't understand that as on the t-mobile website it says a £10 top up per month - how can you pay £10 for 500mb for a year using an iphone 4 sim in an ipad 2? confused.com!!!

Isn't it easier to tether to an iphone4 with a wifi only ipad?

I am also using this deal. works fine but depending in area and coverage u can also use ur iPhone 4 as a back up. I paid £10 and got a micro sim on t mobile and 500mb for 12 months. so if u go over it doesn't charge you, it just slows ur connection down.

and for an extra bonus u keep the £10 as credit.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the best app. AVForum

Spot on. I posted my questions on the O2 forum and some kind geezer explained it all to me. Happy Days.

The setting you need is Personal Hotspot on your Iphone4.

I'm currently selling my 3G iPad to get a wifi iPad2.

I can't see thus on my iPhone 4? :confused:

Don't understand that as on the t-mobile website it says a £10 top up per month - how can you pay £10 for 500mb for a year using an iphone 4 sim in an ipad 2? confused.com!!!

From their website "Top up £10 each month and get 100 free anytime minutes to UK mobiles and landlines to use the next month".

When you buy the SIM card and put the first £10 on it, you then get (again from their website) "12 months free internet worth £40".

:thumbsup:

From their website "Top up £10 each month and get 100 free anytime minutes to UK mobiles and landlines to use the next month".

When you buy the SIM card and put the first £10 on it, you then get (again from their website) "12 months free internet worth £40".
T-Mobile are offering iPhone users the Internet access an incentive to use their PAYG in your iPhone & pay inflated prices for phone calls & texts. There is however no requirement to make any calls, send any texts or top up any minimum amount per month except that first £10 which gives you 12 months Internet.

Can anyone tell me whether these are the correct Cellular Data settings?

APN: general.t-mobile.co.uk
Username: user
Password: one2one

since 02 capped data to 500mb/1gb with insane prices if you go over i wouldnt risky tethering.

i have a 3 sim for my ipad, £5 A month 2gb data and 30day contract, done me fine for last 18months:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom