3g iphone working on vodafone, any other settings i need to change??

Chuck_Norris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi:)

did all the unlocking/jailbreaking etc last night, everything appears to be working fine.

should i have to change any of the other settings to get the most out of it?

or if anyones using voda on their 3g, what tariff/packages are you on with voda??

tia

Chuck:)

My current package, one I have had for years is 250 mins and 250 texts for £9. Not great but suits my use. All I have done is added the data bundle add-on £7.50.

No other settings to change apart from adding the APN info so you can use the data outside of wireless coverage.

*5005*86*121# is another I have done so pressing voicemail button takes me straight to voicemail.

thanks mate, i've changed my tariff this morning but there wasn't one as good as what you're getting:eek: think i'm paying 20 quid for 500 texts and 200 mins, then he 7.50 bolt on.

when you say the apn settings, do you have yours set like this?

apn : internet
username : web
password : web

also the other setting for the voicemail where to i put that?

where did you find all the info on voda and the iphone, was there a particular site?

cheers

The tariff is an old one I have used for years - not very good for upgrades though :)

Yep, APN setting is the same.

If you want the voicemail button to take you to Vodas 121 voicemail, go to phone keypad, enter *5005*86*121# and press call, it will say please wait for a couple of secs. and then the voicemail button will take you to your '121' voicemail box.

"where did you find all the info on voda and the iphone, was there a particular site?"

I have been messing around with the iphone since the very earliest days of the 1st gen iphone, much of what worked on that works on the 3G version.

i don't get 3g at my house, but when i wen't into town today it wouldn't pic up 3g at all, just stayed with the small circle the whole time.

i tried rebooting, toggling all the modes on and off but to no avail:-/

any ideas mate??

Chuck

Vodafone don't use a different SIM to enable use of 3G on their network, I have the same SIM in mine I have used for years so you should be good to go. Have you got another 3G enabled phone you can try your SIM in to check for a definite 3G signal. Providing Enable 3G is set to 'on' I can only think it is a coverage issue.

Hi Both

Why do you not port your numbers over to O2 simplicity?
600mins 1200 text plus unlimited data £20 a month, and only a months rolling contract.

Or fix it for a year, 800 min and 1500 text and unlimited data for £20.

That way, you would not have to worry about new updates as your on an O2 which is course is fine with the Iphone.

Just a suggestion :)

John

Hi Both

Why do you not port your numbers over to O2 simplicity?
600mins 1200 text plus unlimited data £20 a month, and only a months rolling contract.

Or fix it for a year, 800 min and 1500 text and unlimited data for £20.

That way, you would not have to worry about new updates as your on an O2 which is course is fine with the Iphone.

Just a suggestion :)

John
Don't need the extra mins. / texts. I can cancel and put the data bundle on every month as required so some months happy with my £9. Poor experience with O2 CS in the past and poor coverage.
My phone is also unlocked so no problems there either.

I know there are better deals available and appreciate the heads-up. :thumbsup:

doh, i hadn't turned on 3g in the settings after rebooting the iphone:oops: for some reason wifi and 3g are turned off as standard using the new restore.

John, i probably will mate but i'm contracted to vodafone till july so saves me having 2 phones.

does that 20 quid include free web and wifi?

cheers

I am with Vodafone although still using the anytime sim chip thing so have to stay on 2.1 (not brave enough to do the software unlock)

I have a £20 monthly sim contract though which gives 600 mins unlim texts and then have added the £7.50 unlimited data contract. I also wont move to O2 due to the coverage issue, noone at my work can even use the Iphone as 02 have no coverage for a couple of miles around work so pretty pointless. If I was just confident enough to do the software unlock I would be a happy man as having to reboot it after sticking the sim in another Vodafone compatible phone every week or so to get back 3G reception on the phone is a pain in the bum!

the unlock is so easy mate, you just follow the steps in the tut.

i used this one here, gives you screenshots for every step of the way, can't go wrong really:)

hth

Chuck

the unlock is so easy mate, you just follow the steps in the tut.

i used this one here, gives you screenshots for every step of the way, can't go wrong really:)

hth

Chuck

Cheers all done, goodbye to the anynetwork sim fix!!!!

Can anyone confirm whether the software unlock means the phone will work abroad without the need to insert into a vodafone compatible phone etc.?

Yes overseas sim cards will work fine :thumbsup:

Yes overseas sim cards will work fine :thumbsup:

Sorry, I meant my UK SIM working when out of the country? I know with the anynetwork you had to pop the sim out of the iphone and into a normal phone to connect the local country network and then you could use it in the Iphone again. Just wanted to know whether I would be safe only taking my Iphone with me when out of the country?

Quick follow up question to using abroad as I will now be travelling a fair bit over the next 2 months and don't want to run up a mega bill!!!

Can someone confirm what you need to 'turn off' to ensure you only pay call charges whilst abroad ie not download/fetch data the whole time? And just as an extra question can you just use web features etc. whilst abroad without everything else fetching ie email etc. as would be handy to at least be able to access the internet/maps etc. if needed urgently but dont really need the email?

Thanks in advance

Quick follow up question to using abroad as I will now be travelling a fair bit over the next 2 months and don't want to run up a mega bill!!!

Can someone confirm what you need to 'turn off' to ensure you only pay call charges whilst abroad ie not download/fetch data the whole time? And just as an extra question can you just use web features etc. whilst abroad without everything else fetching ie email etc. as would be handy to at least be able to access the internet/maps etc. if needed urgently but dont really need the email?

Thanks in advance
Set data roaming to off, this should disable any data whilst away from your home network. I would also turn off fetch data and set any mail accounts to manual retrieve so the phone is not trying to check periodically for new mail.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom