3dtv questions before i purchase

blackmesa8

Ex Member
Reaction score
Ok so i am thinking of buying this 3dtv "LG 42LW450U" and have a few questions.
First off i know its passive and i want passive cause i seem to get eye strain easily and i have heared passive 3d is easier on the eyes if thats true?

The main questions is as follows
I will be buying it to go into my room and be connected to a small home media pc i built. Will it work ok with a pc (my graphics card is a radeon 6850) and will i be able to play 3d mkv files from my pc directly to the tv via hdmi and if so what software do i need? (i currently use vlc and media player classic home theater edition for dxva)
I would also like to point out that i do not plan todo any 3d gaming.

Last question i have is if i get said tv and it turns out i dont like it for whatever reason can i legaly return it for a refund within a certain amount of time or am i stuck with it forever?

Thanks for any answers.
Blackmesa8

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I didn't think about the setting it up to work with pc bit. My current display i use with that pc is a 32inch LG 32lh3000 and i had trouble getting it to work at the correct refresh rate but did in the end.

What refresh rate is the 42LW450U meant to run at?

And im sure ill be happy with it im not that picky really as long as it works fine with pc and gives a reasonable picture quality and 3d quality ill be happy. But i would still like to know if its possible to return one if worse came to worse and i didn't like it for whatever reason.

Blackmesa8

But i would still like to know if its possible to return one if worse came to worse and i didn't like it for whatever reason.
If you buy on-line then you legally have a 7 day right of return for any reason and some sellers like amazon.co.uk even give you as much as 30 days.

Strictly speaking you don't have any right of return if you buy from a store

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I didn't think about the setting it up to work with pc bit. My current display i use with that pc is a 32inch LG 32lh3000 and i had trouble getting it to work at the correct refresh rate but did in the end.

What refresh rate is the 42LW450U meant to run at?

And im sure ill be happy with it im not that picky really as long as it works fine with pc and gives a reasonable picture quality and 3d quality ill be happy. But i would still like to know if its possible to return one if worse came to worse and i didn't like it for whatever reason.

Blackmesa8
The refresh rate is 60hz, all the 100hz/200hz stuff come from interpolations ect. your pc will show no higher than 60hz/60fps.

The 450u is a great tv and is very cheap for the type of performance you get.

to get the correct refresh rate for 3d. just install the trial of nvidia 3dtv play. and setup your display. then install the nvidia 3dtv player for free. now make sure nvidia 3d vision is enabled and go to play a 3d film via the player and it will display a red writting telling you what resoloution to un. just case of going into your ati settngs and making a custom resolouion.

resoloutions should be...
full hd 1920x1080 @ 24Hz
720p 1280x720 @59Hz

both these should work on your tv.

IF YOU DONT HAVE THE CORRECT HZ YOU WILL GET GHOSTING!

hope this helps you pal.

It is all depending on the stores returns policy, they can vary, they have to have it displayed at the till to be valid, so If you are concerned you should look for the sign.

I would suspect that you would not be able to get a refund but an exchange or credit note would be the only option once you have purchased it, unless it is faulty or you have good reason to be disappointed with it.

You could explain your concerns to the salesman and see what they can do for you

Martin

The LW450U has a checker board colour bug which as far as I'm aware only affects PC gamers at 1080p. Even if you don't use it for pc gaming, technically it has an inherant fault.. that will give you good return options.

Last edited:
The LW450U has a checker board colour bug which as far as I'm aware only affects PC gamers at 1080p. Even if you don't use it for pc gaming, technically it has an inherant fault.. that will give you good return options.

This is a very good reason for a return as you can take a sbs and interleaved/checkerboard image with you on usb to prove the fault but this only really counts instore.
When i took my pz550 back after a few days i had a fair few people on the shop floor watching what i was pionting out tobe a colourbug, i had zero issues with returning that on the grounds of the colourbug and ghosting and that was from currys.

The bug will never affect you if your not into pc 3d interleaved/checkerboard gaming!
Well it would affect you if your bluray player ect only outputed interleaved or checkerboard.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies i highly doubt ill need to return it to be honest i aint that picky. Unless there was some crazy insane issue with its picture quality or something which i doubt from what everyones said ill be happy. And yes i dont plan to play any pc games on it at all.

I've reserved it at Argos and will be collecting it in about half an hour.
Ill come back on here later and post how its going or if i have any issues etc.

Again thanks for all the advise.

Blackmesa8

Ok got the tv and set it up.
Got the stand installed and it connected to pc via hdmi easily with no issues.
At first the picture was abit dark but i quickly figured out it was the energy saving feature so turned that off. Then it was too bright so turned backlight down abit and now its perfect. I did some rather quick.. spent maybe 15mins having a quick configure of some of its picture settings and got it looking very impressive at least as good as my last 32" lh3000 lg 1080p tv and i spent months on and off configuring that to be perfect.

tested 2d hd and sd first it was perfect accept i noticed a weird stutter occur almost exactly every 10 seconds. I fixed it by rebooting the pc i think i might have upset the graphics drivers by messing around and changing resolutions and refresh rates to much or something.
So for 1080p 2d hd and sd i've got it running and looking brilliantly and am very pleased.

3d
I've only got one 3d movie. Ocean Wonderland and a few mkv 3d trailers on pc.
So far its looking brilliant but it actually is straining my eyes. I do know that for some unknown reason despite not needing glasses and having very good eye site my eyes seem to get strained easily compared to other peoples so it might be me. Or I'm wondering if there is something wrong. I've tried to look very hard for ghosting and don't think i can find any. On one scene i thought i had found ghosting till the camera suddenly focused on what i was looking at and it went into perfect clarity so i think it was just meant to be blurred cause it was not in the camera's focus. Unless that IS ghosting?.
I plan to try some mkv's on it tomorrow via its usb port and via my western digital media device and see if its any different all the same.

I think i know how to explain what i am seeing and what seems to be causing my eyes to strain. On a mkv 1080p 3d trailer i watched there was a scene where two guys were talking to each other at different fields of depth when one spoke the camera focused on him and the guy further behind him was out of focus. Then when the 2nd guy replied to the first guy the camera focused on him and he came into focus and 2nd guy who was quite abit out of the screen then went out of focus. So im guessing this is normal right? Problem is if i glance at anything that is out of focus my eyes get strained lol.

Anyway ill be experimenting with 3d more tomorrow and see how it goes then.

Blackmesa8

OK so i had one more bash at it before went to sleep which i will do after i type this post.

basically the eye strain was being caused because i was too close to the screen being further back has solved it completely and it now looks even better and with zero eye strain. And that was some mkv 1080p 3d sds trailers played from pc.
Im well happy now.

Blackmesa8

I think i know how to explain what i am seeing and what seems to be causing my eyes to strain. On a mkv 1080p 3d trailer i watched there was a scene where two guys were talking to each other at different fields of depth when one spoke the camera focused on him and the guy further behind him was out of focus. Then when the 2nd guy replied to the first guy the camera focused on him and he came into focus and 2nd guy who was quite abit out of the screen then went out of focus. So im guessing this is normal right? Problem is if i glance at anything that is out of focus my eyes get strained lol.
This is actaully a good example of bad 3D filming. It's very normal to want to 'roam' (look everywhere) when watching a 3D film. If certain areas are out of focus then the brain (tricked into thinking it's viewing the real world) attempts to put it in focus. That's impossible of course and only gets worse when your brain discovers everything is really at the same distance :eek:

Eventually you learn to immediately look away from anything that doesn't look sharp but it's really a fault of the 3D producer.

As you've discovered yourself it's a mistake to get too close to the screen for even though it might seem very emmersive it actually produces very weak 3D.

Anyway, glad you like your set :smashin:

3d
I've only got one 3d movie. Ocean Wonderland and a few mkv 3d trailers on pc.
So far its looking brilliant but it actually is straining my eyes. I do know that for some unknown reason despite not needing glasses and having very good eye site my eyes seem to get strained easily compared to other peoples so it might be me. Or I'm wondering if there is something wrong. I've tried to look very hard for ghosting and don't think i can find any. On one scene i thought i had found ghosting till the camera suddenly focused on what i was looking at and it went into perfect clarity so i think it was just meant to be blurred cause it was not in the camera's focus. Unless that IS ghosting?

Blackmesa8

Ocean Wonderland is awful, this is really poor 3D, I watched this on the projector at a fair distance and my eyes and head were hurting, this is quite old now I think so obviously 3D technology and the way the films are shot are improving all the time. To wet your appetite I would suggest getting CG films like Christmas Carol or films that have been intentionally made for 3D like Tron Legacy. So far my experience with 3D documentaries has not been that great, I have imax deep sea and although there are some great 3D parts, I still find the eye strain and headaches were there. I am still yet to see anything come up to my face that some people have claimed to see, for me it's a few feet out of the screen at best, according to some people it is difficult or maybe even impossible to achieve this at home. So don't be too disappointed if this doesn't happen, I think it's meant to be more about depth and that is incredible to look at anyway. Enjoy your TV :thumbsup:

what resoloution did you use in the end pal? and refresh rate? 1920 x 1080 @24hz?

what resoloution did you use in the end pal? and refresh rate? 1920 x 1080 @24hz?

I've tried quite a few refresh rates and I'm not noticing much difference. Only refresh rate where anything bad is occurring is 24hz the movie playback via PC at that refresh rate goes all stuttery and laggy not sure if its a issue with my graphics card.

Later today i plan to try some mkv 3d files on the tv directly via usb drive and maybe try some with my western digital 1080p media player thing.

Blackmesa8

I've tried using vlc and media player classic home theater edition. and xbmc all seem fine running normaly but running in 24hz causes lagg.
Graphics card is a Radeon 6850

Blackmesa8

Makes far more sense to play via the TV's built in media player (USB) or an external player if you have one.

Apart from playing better anyway - it means your PC is free to do something else - even whilst still acting as a media server (as a DLNA server say)

that might be your problem then. try using nvidia 3d play or donload power dvd11.
my samsung buid in mdia player has a ethernet cable (LAN) from c to tv and then bridged to connect it. my tv picks up the DNLA server and plays every media file thrown at it BUT for me playing through the pc its wayyyy sharper. and its considerably alot!

are you playing the sbs in ful screen then selecting 3d on the tv and selecting sbs on the tv's 3d selection? if your doing that then what your doing is wrong. use the nvidia 3dvision installer to set your screen monitior up. easy as that. then when you select a 3d sbs film say in power dvd or nvidia 3d player it automaticaly stitched the images togeather and starts your 3d emmitter. literally just a case of turning your glasses on.

are you playing the sbs in ful screen then selecting 3d on the tv and selecting sbs on the tv's 3d selection? if your doing that then what your doing is wrong. use the nvidia 3dvision installer to set your screen monitior up. easy as that. then when you select a 3d sbs film say in power dvd or nvidia 3d player it automaticaly stitched the images togeather and starts your 3d emmitter. literally just a case of turning your glasses on.

I dont think i can use nvidia software my graphics cards a radeon?
I've tested 3d mkv files on tv via its usb port and my western digital media player.
The tv's usb method seems to be best so far ultra smooth as silk and looks awesome. the method of playing it via pc directly is 2nd best looks just as good but after watching tv usb doesn't seem quite as smooth. Western digital media player is not that good dunno why. It's picture quality seems off somehow.

Blackmesa8

the nvision software should still set up your display even if you have radeon card. all it will do is automaticaly set the resoloutions for you if you had a nvidia card. as you have radeon it will tell you to make a custon resloution and then tell you what is the best res in red writing. ;)

Ok i got a update sorry for taking so long. I got it all working perfectly got the picture settings to look even better pretty much perfect. I also got 3d playing perfectly via the pc with stereoscopic player.

However i have noticed one small but annoying issue which might actually be a fault. On the top left of the screen theres a patch that never goes quite black like the backlight in that area is abit brighter than the rest. its only noticeable on extremely dark scenes or on films that have them black banners at the top and bottom. There will be a constant slightly bright patch on the top left on the black banner etc.
Is there a setting i am missing that can cause this or is it common issue others have or a actual fault?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom