3dbinCanada Main System

3dbinCanada

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all. This is my first post on this forum so I thought I would tell a little about myself. My wife of 33 years passed away in October of 2020 and I've been busy with my home theater hobby and starting new hobbies such as biking and kayaking on the lake at my cottage. I can't type worth a dam so I will have typos from time to many a time. My apologies for this. I love SciFi, action, fantasy, and Marvel/DC comic based movies. I do have the odd serious flick too. I'm a huge music fan and love all genres except for RAP, HIP-HOP, and boy/girl bands. I especially love blues, classical, and classic rock.

My main system is located in the basement. Its a Dolby Atmos 6.2.2 setup. Here are some pics. Main-7.JPGMain-8.JPGMain-9.JPGMain-10.JPGMain-11.JPGMain-23.jpgMain-24.jpgMain25.jpgMain26.jpgMain27.jpgMain-table.jpg

All my systems such as this one serves as both a 2channel and Home Theater setup.

Welcome to the Forum.

Condolences on the loss of your wife.

This is a friendly place and you'll get a lot of help with any potential problems or just passing the time.

Those ceiling speakers are pretty awesome, hope you used some long screws. 🤣

Out of interest, does your AVR work in Atmos when you have a single surround back speaker? I thought that Atmos required either two or four surround speakers?

Those ceiling speakers are pretty awesome, hope you used some long screws. 🤣

Out of interest, does your AVR work in Atmos when you have a single surround back speaker? I thought that Atmos required either two or four surround speakers?

Those speakers aren't coming down anytime soon. I did some research on the types of drywall screws I could use without hitting a stud and I have a 25% safety margin built in. I can hang speakers 25% heavier than what I have now so I know I'm good. :) It does turn out that I was able to hit a stud on one side of the speaker bracket for each speaker so I'm golden.

Yamaha detects how many surround back channels I have and automatically merges it down to one if there is only one. It does not interfere with Atmos as the last Blade Runner movie made full use of the two Atmos channels.

The equipment list for my main system is as follows
AVR: Yamaha 3060
BluRay: Player Yamaha BD-S681 4K upscaling player
Turntable: Project Xpression III with an Ortofon 2M red controlled by Project SpeedBox S
Cassette Decks: Yamaha KX1200 and K1000
Media Player: Iomega with 1TB Internal Drive +Seagate 2TB USB drive.
Speakers All PSB: Image T65 mains, Image 8C center, Image 1B surrounds CS1000 for Atmos
Subwoofers Rythmik LV12-R and LV12-F controlled via MiniDSP2xHD4
Remote; Logitech Harmony 650

I first started this system with one Rythmik Sub and I used the bass crawl technique to place the sub in the room which took place before I learned about REW. Since REW was free, all I needed to buy was a measurement mic which I picked up off of Amazon. The mic is a UMIK-1. After some online reading, I decided to see if I had placed the single sub in an optimum location in relationship to the seating area. Before taking the measurements, I set all speakers to small, set the crossover to 200Hz, the highest value the AVR would let me select and turned off YPAO.

This what the measurements looked like using the bass crawl technique across the width of the sofa.
sub_at_old_location.jpg
which was located here
Main-16.JPG

I then started placing the sub around the room to see what the response looked like.

Sub placed beside at the left hand side of the sofa
sub_at_left_of_sofa.jpg

Sub placed beside at a corner 3 feet from the left side of the sofa
sub_at_bike_location.jpg
Sub placed beside the right hand of the sofa in the corner
sub_at_right_of_sofa.jpg

and I settled on this new location. This response is the raw response because I had no miniDSP at that time.

sub_at_new_location.jpg
which is here..
Main-23.jpg

To continue on with this thread, I have purchased a MiniDSP2x4HD because I wanted to integrate 2 subs into the room and Yamaha's two sub outs on the RX-A3060 are slaved to one another. You can't EQ the two subs separately which is rather kind of dumb since no other equipment is tied so closely to room placement than subwoofers.

Leaving sub 1 at the new location (left of the fire place),

Main28.jpg

sub_at_new_location.jpg

I decided to place the 2nd sub to the right of the sofa (from the seated position) because it gave me the best response in the 80 to 110 Hz range for the left hand side of the sofa.

Main27.jpg
sub_at_right_of_sofa.jpg

Below is the individual contributions made by each sub and the cumulative effect of boths subs measured at the center of the sofa before generating an EQ curve via REW. The red trace is the cummulative in room response
Individual and Combines Sub Response.jpg

Now using REW, I generated a house curve as shown below.
REW Config3 Settings.JPG

Below is a larger screenshot of the frequency response curves generated by REW. The green trace is the raw response, the blue trace is the target house curve, and the right trace is what REW predicts it can do.
REW Config3 For Basement.jpg

I downloaded the files (PEQ filters) generated by REW to a miniDSP2x4HD for implementation. The end result is shown below for each position across the sofa.
C_L_R LP Post EQ.jpg

Some changes made to my system. I swapped out the ProJect Xpression III for an Oracle Mark IV with an SME 309 tone arm and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. I added a Yamaha C300 cassette deck as well.

Main35.jpg
Main47.jpg
Main48.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom