3D TV

glojo

Are there any TV manufacturers that are still producing 3D televisions please?

I accept there are lots of opinions regarding this type of TV but I am now reading that 4K TV is not taking off in the way it was envisioned.

We like our current TV but it is getting old and I simply want to know what is out there

tvdavid

No there not if you need one you may need to look on gumtree and may need to travel
the bravia kdl-55w905a is a 3d tv though which I still have. so look for one like this.
you can also ask hear if anyone has a tv for sale with 3d.
also they are still selling 3d projectors new

Last edited:

mikej

I accept there are lots of opinions regarding this type of TV but I am now reading that 4K TV is not taking off in the way it was envisioned.
I'm not sure what you've been reading but, AFAIK, all TVs above 32" you can currently buy are now 4K (or even 8K) and the amount of 4K content available is steadily growing all the time, with streaming platforms like Netflix and Prime offering many of their latest series in 4K, Sky showing movies and sport in 4K and even the BBC trialling 4K, all giving people more of a reason to upgrade their 1080p sets.

It's actually 3D (and not 4K) that didn't really catch on, which is a shame. I have a number of 3D movies that I can no longer watch in 3D due to my 3D plasma failing last year.

If you want another 3D TV then you'll have to buy second-hand, as mentioned above.

Last edited:

glojo

Thank you for the replies and the confirmation of what I have discovered.

Regarding my comment about 4K, I simply Googled is 4K catching on

gibbsy

Thank you for the replies and the confirmation of what I have discovered.

Regarding my comment about 4K, I simply Googled is 4K catching on
If you're going to invest in a new TV then 4K is the standard for almost all TVs over a 40'' set. 3D has been and gone I'm afraid. OLEDs with HDR and Dolby Vision more than make up for it though.

glojo

Hi gibbsy, I fear you are correct, 3D for now, looks like it has been and gone but.... Does that make it bad or not a good way of watching TV? I cannot go out and get to the cinema, my TV is my cinema. My family love watching 3d films or documentaries and I just find it sad that this standard never caught on buty hey ho

The squarial type satellite service was allegedly better than what we all opted for (I opted for Sky right from the get go)

Betamax was a better quality than VHS and would 3D be better than 4K? In other words is the public being influenced by marketing instead of buying what is best? Does 4K have that amazing 3D depth or is 4K simply just an improvement in image quality

We are at where we are at and it looks like 3D has gone, today it will be 4K, the standard of today, but tomorrow that might be 5. The next day the standard might be 6K etc etc but what is that next step after 3D or three-dimensional viewing?

gibbsy

Market forces were at work. There was obviously not much call for 3D and studios started dropping it from the disc line ups, cost cutting no doubt played a part. My son and grandsons love the format and would go to the cinema to see 3D presentations. Probably the push for 4K TVs was the last nail in the coffin as far as costs were concerned. The next step, which is already underway, is for 8K TVs

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The squarial type satellite service was allegedly better than what we all opted for (I opted for Sky right from the get go)

Betamax was a better quality than VHS and would 3D be better than 4K? In other words is the public being influenced by marketing instead of buying what is best? Does 4K have that amazing 3D depth or is 4K simply just an improvement in image quality
Most of those 'better quality' claims are based on marginal differences, and are often dwarfed by more tangible disadvantages (like less recording time from betamax).

glojo

Most of those 'better quality' claims are based on marginal differences and are often dwarfed by more tangible disadvantages (like less recording time from Betamax).
100% agree with Gipsy and yup, market forces will effect what is 'in' and what is 'out' :)

Apologies for drifting off topic, but yes, Betamax had less recording time but it did have the better picture. Market forces rule and only one format was going to survive. :)

Bottom line was that Betamax had the better quality image. I confess I went with VHS so I am not speaking as an ex Betamax fan, likewise that square dish it had the better image, but I went with Sky.

I have however purchased a 3D TV my family love watching those amazing 3D films and documentaries and I will try sticking with my TV for as long as is possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom