3D tv which one to get

zero_01

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i am a bit stuck with what new 3d tv to get.

I have managed to narrow down the selection to the following:

Panasonic Viera TX-P42GT30 Plasma ( a special offer on this is that i get a 3d blu-ray player & 2 free glasses for £899

Sony Bravia KDL40HX723 LED ( special offer on this is a 3d blu-ray player, 2 glasses and 4x blu ray movie for £1,102.95)

Samsung UE40D800 LED ( no special offer for £1,099

Panasonic Viera TX-42GT30 ( special offer of a 3d blu-ray player and 2 glasses for £899) or the VT30

I am aware that for a plasma tv people say Panasonic are the best just now but not sure if i should look at the LED tvs or not.

I have a budget of £1400 but would not like to spend all of that, i will mostly be using the tv for Sky and for movies no gaming.

All advice much appreciated

Have you considered passive 3D sets? Be sure to check out LG's passive 3D LED range.. they are very good and oustanding value.

Last edited:
Yes; general rule is:

For best 3D experience go passive
For best 2D picture go plasma

Since you can't buy a passive plasma (too expensive to make) then the choice is something of a compromise depending upon if you're buying for best 3D or 2D

Yes; general rule is:

For best 3D experience go passive
For best 2D picture go plasma

Since you can't buy a passive plasma (too expensive to make) then the choice is something of a compromise depending upon if you're buying for best 3D or 2D

I dont agree with the first rule, pros and cons of both.:devil:

Well its more of future proofing i am thinking about, will 3D take off? so really its down to preference if its plasma or led. Is Plasma not better for picture quality wise etc, as a LED is just LCD with a backlight on it effectivly.

I dont agree with the first rule, pros and cons of both.:devil:
Back to the active vs passive threads for you then Scooby ;)
Well its more of future proofing i am thinking about, will 3D take off? so really its down to preference if its plasma or led. Is Plasma not better for picture quality wise etc, as a LED is just LCD with a backlight on it effectivly.
You wouldn't make that comment if you'd viewed a good 3D TV. 3D is amazing and frankly even if ALL 3D productions stopped today I'd still be happy with my purchase as I'd simply keep using the 3D conversion facilities I have.

I think it will take off..

LED tv's just seem to be more vibrant, brighter and more efficient than the LCD's, Some panels are better than others, the real test is viewing it yourself.
I've heard good things about them but dont recall how good the Plasma panasonic was in 2D to compare them, as I was looking for a good 3D TV overall. I have no complaints about the 2D picture quality on my passive LG though, I think it's very good, especially in HD.

I am also having the same problem and have narrowed it down to these 3 sets.

Panasonic 46GT30
LG 47LW550T
Samsung UE46D7000(same spec as the D8000 but cheaper and different design)

Viewed a demo of the LG and the Samsung and I must say the LG seemed a lot better(more depth, cheaper glasses for the kids and more comfortable glasses).
The problem I am having is that I will also use the set for gaming and i have heard the Lg doesn't perform great in this department. If the Tv wasn't being used for gaming I would probably go for the LG.
Can anyone who has any of the above TV's comment on gaming performance and 3d performance?

I think it will take off..

LED tv's just seem to be more vibrant, brighter and more efficient than the LCD's, Some panels are better than others, the real test is viewing it yourself.
I've heard good things about them but dont recall how good the Plasma panasonic was in 2D to compare them, as I was looking for a good 3D TV overall. I have no complaints about the 2D picture quality on my passive LG though, I think it's very good, especially in HD.

which model do you have?:)

im in same boat, last xmas i got a samsung 50c6900 3d plasma which was sent back cause 3d didnt work on it, plus image retention wasnt to great, then got a sony 46hx803 which was sent back due to banding, clouding and a lot of ghosting on set, then i left it till this xmas where i recently purchased a panasonic 50gt30, which is currently in my hall waiting for collection today, as going back due to green blob and noisey buzzing and fans from set, ive decided after reading thread on the panasonics that although it best picture quality i seen this year, im not gonna be having sets back and to till i find one without the green blob.
yesturday i went and had a look at a few sets, for me didnt like toshibas passive 3dtv, panasonic out of it due to green blob,sonys tvs just seem as one i had last yr with just average 3d, seen both the samsung 46d7000/8000 and the lg47lw650t, both i thought where good, but considering its took 5 phone calls and 1 email to currys to actually get a date for them to take this tv back, i wont be dealing with them again, which puts the lg 650t out the frame :(, at moment im thinking of waiting till after xmas and see if there are gonna be any good deals or just wait for the 2012 models and hope lg or any other company dont give exclusive tvs to currys

...hope lg or any other company dont give exclusive tvs to currys
After trying 3 active shutter sets I'm confident you'll be blown away after you've switched to passive.

Have you not considered an internet purchase - as buyer protection is generally a lot better.

it was the internet from currys i got the panasonic 50gt30, got package deal with bluray player and glasses, had them booked for last week, then the day it was suppose to be delivered they emailed saying glasses out of stock did i want to pick something else for the value, looked on there web and they had them in stock, phoned up and was told id get the tv on wed as planned and 3d bluray etc on the fri, on thu phoned there customer support to say faults on tv and was told they would not refund the money they would only send a engineer out to fix the tv or he would say i could have it replaced, emailed them that day to say my rights and told them ordering on the net i had 7days to return for money, to which they phoned me on the fri to appologise and said they would take tv back and when i mentioned the bluray player etc, the woman said it was still showing as back order, not down for delivery that day, monday came and no word on date for tv pick up so phoned up and was told nothing had gone through and they dont no what woman before had done, they would do it now, wed came and nothing and phoned again and was told sorry and this time they would phone department direct and it had gone through and someone would phone me in half hr, a day later nothing so i phoned and was told it was booked for sun pick up, yet no one had phoned or emailed me out, now sitting here waiting to see if anyone turns up, so at moment very ****** off with currys and wont be using them at all, in the past i have delt with john lewis, argos, sound and vision, richer sounds etc and never had any trouble if a product developed a fault etc

I think I saw a deal on hotukdeals for a Samsung 46D8000 reduced from 1499 to about 1099 with 15% voucher, a Samsung £150 cashback. Seems a good deal there on a very good tv.

Edit: it was with Comet

Last edited:
We bought the LG47LW650T yesterday and must say the 3D is surprisingly good. There are some great deals about at the minute, with young children i think passive has to be the way to go as the thought of replacing active glasses is a little scary :cool:.

We bought the LG47LW650T yesterday and must say the 3D is surprisingly good. There are some great deals about at the minute, with young children i think passive has to be the way to go as the thought of replacing active glasses is a little scary :cool:.

Did you buy from Currys by any chance?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom