3D: Tv vs projector

Gregorov

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, im owner of panasonic plasma vt30. Im thinking to buy projector for around 500-600£. I just wonder how 3D looks like on home projector around this price. Is the crosstalk much smaller (compare to passive sets or active plasma), how is the motion resolution, colors and contrast compare to tvs? I have middle sized room, and i will sit from the screen aroun 3-4 meters till i move in couple of months to much bigger place.

You will only get 720p for that sort of money

Dlp 0 crosstalk

Look at the optoma gt750 or acer h5360bd

Both have 3d built in for 1080p you need to spend £900 upwards

Thank you for quick response. What are most important things i need to look for when choosing 3D projector?

Last edited:
Thank you for quick response. What are most important things i need to look for when choosing 3D projector?

If buying dlp then you need to check if you see rainbows (google dlp rainbows).

I'd spend 850 -950 then you can get yourself something like an hd33 which is award winning full 3dhd. Its kinda like your telly but potentially 9+ times bigger. The ghosting is very low if any with dlp shutter glasses. Now obviously it won't be as good as your tv on a very bright day but close the curtains a bit ........simples squark.
720p is good too but for that bit more you are getting the best and will notice the difference.
However if 3dtv and gaming is your thing that's only broadcast in 720p and consoles 720p so 720p projector is fine.
If interested in 3d blu ray then well worth the extra step and too me is better than a lot cinemas as it's not polarised just a clean non ghosty image and you can fidly with the settings and focus.

Hd33 is about 1400 but you can find deals. If struggling let me know as I have one spare. I've got an optoma hd65, dell hd410hd and dell 4320 all 720p 3d all great with 3dxl(easier with ps3 or designated 3d blu ray than a pc).
Was happy with them but I like my hd33 too much now. I'm gonna get rid of them even had a 2 1080ps in a passive system with 2 3dxl's but not quite as good as one full 3d hd projector.

However whatever happens once you go projector tv looks pants.

If you go hunting on the bay for deals dont get one of these no name brands. Benq , optoma and dell are pretty good.

Also make sure you know how many hrs have been used and are left, although you can pick up bulb for about 70 these days.

I'm looking at over a 130 inch screen at them moment and projector less than 3m away.

w0mble said:
I'd spend 850 -950 then you can get yourself something like an hd33 which is award winning full 3dhd. Its kinda like your telly but potentially 9+ times bigger. The ghosting is very low if any with dlp shutter glasses. Now obviously it won't be as good as your tv on a very bright day but close the curtains a bit ........simples squark.
720p is good too but for that bit more you are getting the best and will notice the difference.
However if 3dtv and gaming is your thing that's only broadcast in 720p and consoles 720p so 720p projector is fine.
If interested in 3d blu ray then well worth the extra step and too me is better than a lot cinemas as it's not polarised just a clean non ghosty image and you can fidly with the settings and focus.

Hd33 is about 1400 but you can find deals. If struggling let me know as I have one spare. I've got an optoma hd65, dell hd410hd and dell 4320 all 720p 3d all great with 3dxl(easier with ps3 or designated 3d blu ray than a pc).
Was happy with them but I like my hd33 too much now. I'm gonna get rid of them even had a 2 1080ps in a passive system with 2 3dxl's but not quite as good as one full 3d hd projector.

However whatever happens once you go projector tv looks pants.

If you go hunting on the bay for deals dont get one of these no name brands. Benq , optoma and dell are pretty good.

Also make sure you know how many hrs have been used and are left, although you can pick up bulb for about 70 these days.

I'm looking at over a 130 inch screen at them moment and projector less than 3m away.

I acually was thinking about this Optoma hd33. Ages ago i was reading about 200£ 3d projector so stupidly i fought that full hd i can get around 700£ lol I will use it mostly for 3D blu rays, which i have big collection allready. Im 3D maniac, and tv started to be too small for me lol. I can spent this kind of money, but im a bit affraid that the quality wont match vt30 :) I never saw in action any good quality home projector, the only one ive seen were ones used on staff trainings and they had really washed out picture, which bring all my fears.... I wonder wher i can check one. Meybe my local richards sound hmmm

Last edited:
What area do you live in?
I could potentially show you how they compare between 720p and 1080p 3d.
I have a few to get rid of so may be closer to your budget too.
But no problems if you don't as I like spreading the love projectors anyway.
By the way 130" is 9 times bigger than 43.3333r" tv.

Lol....wondered how long it would take for you to try and off load you pj's again.

w0mble said:
What area do you live in?
I could potentially show you how they compare between 720p and 1080p 3d.
But no problems if you don't as I like spreading the love projectors anyway.
By the way 130" is 9 times bigger than 43.3333r" tv.

Thank you for the offer. I live in Southampton, hampshire. I would be buying next month so see what im going into from experienced pj man is way to go. I have knowledge about tvs but not a clue about projectors.

Fair enough true romance . Why don't you show a range of 720p 1080p 3d projectors ?. I'm trying to help someone see what they look like and believe or not I mean it when I'd rather someone see them first and not bothered about the sale. Have no probs selling what I have but rather go to good homes .

Well I'm I'm the Wimbledon area near the tennis also a place in kew/Richmond so if ever in London let me know. Now you have said you love 3d blu ray I would go 1080 p 3d also Dlp is less hassle and maintenance. Colour keeps but LCD needs filters and pixels die not to mention colour fading. Some say epsons are pretty good but I just don't like the idea of dead pixels and colour fading. Anyway best if luck you can always look for bargain 720p and sell to go up the ladder. That's what I did. However I have about 13 at the moment lol.

I will, when im in area. Why you need so meany? Hehe
Color fadeing and dead pixels sounds really bad. Dlp then, but first i need to see if im rainbow effect senvitive. Why there is allways a con in every technology? Heh

Last edited:
A few crap ones wouldn't let a dog watch them. Have 2 at gf's dell 4320 with 3d 720wifi and a Benq 1000+ for full hd blu ray 2d. At home use the hd 33 got another never opened which was thinking for another house but prob sell. A couple of w1200 prob sell one or both. Some more dell m410hds and 4320s that dell gave me to make up for some major mistakes they made for me. Some eh1020s for a shop I had and some for a mates club but it's taking ages to build. I collect and compare . Got a Sony hw15 and Benq w5000 too. Oh hd 65 and hd 70 I repaired . I love projectors and find it hard to part but now they are just taking over all the fee space. it's a hobby cus I love home cinema and can't see why people would use a tv if they got used to a pj. I buy and sell many things .
Bottom line is..... Full hd 3d Dlp will blow you away especially with 3d bluray. However try check one out to see if the rainbow effect bothers you. I see it rarely and it doesn't bother me. It a shame it's so hard to check them out on the high street , the just show you the unit. Some times worth speaking to manufactures they sometimes will invite you down or tell you where you can view them so it can be a mission.
Anyway you seemed destined to get one and you will enjoy.
Read up screens important too especially for 3d . Don't get trapped in paying loads you can pick them up dirt cheap. Unless using a passive system. Saying that last night watch bbc hd 3d Olympic highlights at my gf's and was awesome just on a white wall . However screen is always better.

Thank you for the offer. I live in Southampton, hampshire. I would be buying next month so see what im going into from experienced pj man is way to go. I have knowledge about tvs but not a clue about projectors.

well im in littlehampton if you would like a see a hd33 setup properly on a 92" screen with a nice sound system

Thank you, pj peoples like to spread the love!:) when my knowledge about projectors will be good enough, i may pop in to check this set. First i would try my local richard sound, if they can demo one not to bother you guys :) I cant wait to see 3d movie on home projector and compare quality and crosstalk to my tv. 92" picture with no crosstalk is giving me sleepless nights recently....

Last edited:
I would try to get a demo at Sevenoaks as better demo room. They sell Optoma's there and more expensive pj's like jvc which might impress even compared to a good panny tv.

Be sure to ask what can go wrong and warranty . Non Dlp always worry me especially with colour loss and pixel loss.

It worres me too, even that i dont have one yet. I think i will go with dlp. Is that true that best thing to check for rainbow effect is to play some black and white movie?

If you do see the rainbow effect, dont instantly dismiss DLP. If you look for rainbows you see them easily but if you just sit back, relax and watch a movie you hardly ever see them.

Joebe said:
If you do see the rainbow effect, dont instantly dismiss DLP. If you look for rainbows you see them easily but if you just sit back, relax and watch a movie you hardly ever see them.

Thats the problem, i hate faults. If i see there is something wrong i found it extremly hard not to notice :)

I didn't specifically see rainbows except on very fast movement, but watching a DLP (even at a work presentation of Powerpoint stuff) gives me a bad headache. For this reason alone I wouldn't commit to buying a DLP display unless I'd had a demo of one with every member of the family that is likely to be watching films on it. Nothing worse than getting a new toy and the OH can't watch it without feeling ill...Used projectors aren't worth a great deal either, so if you have to sell one to replace with a non DLP then it'll be an expensive mistake.

Of course many people are fine with DLP, but for those like me it's poison (I'm the same incidentally for 3D). ;)

Never seen rainbow on 3d shutter glasses . I'm more worried about colour fading , dead pixels, dust and all matter of expensive issues with non Dlp. I have seen loads of old pjs and Dlp gone wrong are dust on mirrors seen twice can be blown off and a fuse blew for power supply so changed it. Now LCD where do I start. Dust dust dust ! Dead pixels , no rescue for that. Colour wow every 2yr plus pj has faded colours , green tinge , yellow tinge and focus problems. I think that would bother you more knowing that your colour is fading every time you use it.

I quite agree wrt LCD projectors having owned a couple of Panasonic models myself, but I don't think your 'non DLP' comments are quite accurate as you've omitted DILA which doesn't have dust blob issues or drop outs of pixels at least in general (there is bound to be someone who now says they once had a faulty DILA PJ ;) ).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom