3D TV and Bluray - do I need HDMI 1.4 ?

brewster0101

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - I just got my LG 47LW650T TV today and plugged up my 3d Lg Bluray player using the cheapie HDMI I had been using. I fired up my Tron Legacy 3D bluray and the 3d worked but I don't think it was that clear.

Should I invest in a new 1.4/high speed cable to get better and sharper picture.

Also why do some HDMI now have ethernet too?

Looking at this

1M XO PLATINUM HDMI TO HDMI Cable *New 1.4a Version: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Do you need ethernet? do you need the audio return? Does your kit support 1.4?

HDMI 1.3 as long as its high speed is fine for 3D, no need for 1.4.
I only have a PS3, Panasonic BDP110 and Denon 1910 AVR, so no kit that uses 1.4, I just use optical for sound, 3D is fine. You can get players with two HDMI if you dont want to use optical for sound, 3D on a high speed 1.3 will be no different to 1.4.

Whats the point with ethernet over HDMI ? I have my TV and bluray connected by ethernet using a cat 6 ethernet cable. My router doesn't support ethernet over a HDMI cable! - I think I am being a tad noob with this modern tech.

Don't know what audio return is? But I guess not. I have the bluray attached to my amp with an optical cable - works fine for me.

Bluray and TV all support 1.4 - but I don't dont know if my HDMI cable is high speed. Its a few years old and was only a cheap cable.

If you bought your cable in the last couple of years there should be no problem.
If you bought your cable a few years ago there is a question mark.
But the chance is it could still be OK.
There is no such thing as 1.4 HDMI cable. It is a myth so that sales tell you so that they can get your money for a more expensive cable which works the same as £2 one. All cables sold in the last couple of years should all be high speed, cheap or otherwise.

If you see it works then it works.
If you "think" it is not that good then it may be the source, or that it may be "you".
Have you seen it, or other 3D movies, in another set up?
Do you have nother source? Another 3D BD may be?
Do a comparision.

Last edited:
If you see it works then it works.
If you "think" it is not that good then it may be the source, or that it may be "you".
Do a comparision.

I think its probably me and I literally just turned the new TV on late night and wanted to quickly see how it was. I probably need to spend time setting it up better.

Thanks

Sounds like Celsius has got it.

If 1.4 cables are a myth how come when i connect my 3d blu ray player or ps3 into my 1.3 amp the devices don't recognise the tv as 3d?

tbag21 said:
If 1.4 cables are a myth how come when i connect my 3d blu ray player or ps3 into my 1.3 amp the devices don't recognise the tv as 3d?

Surely because the amp isn't 1.4 therefore doesn't support 3D pass-through?

Surely because the amp isn't 1.4 therefore doesn't support 3D pass-through?
Yes - the problem is with the amp, NOT the cable.

As Celsius says, there's no such thing as an HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 cable. HDMI have explicitly banned cable manufacturers from labelling their cables with a version number. HDMI cables are either rated for high-speed data transfer (which you need for 3D), or they're not. Plain and simple.

There are some sub-types that allow ethernet and whatnot, but there's very little out there that needs that sort of cable.

Yes sorry its not the cable its more product feature support.
What AV do you have? My Denon 1910 is a 1.3 AVR and both my PS3 and bluray player work through it to my GT30.

At the moment I have both my PS3 and player going direct to the TV and use optical for sound to the AVR. When I move and use my 5.1 more Ill likely plug them back into my AVR.

and use optical for sound to the AVR. When I move and use my 5.1 more Ill likely plug them back into my AVR.[/QUOTE
But what about HD_master Audio you cant get that through Optical?

I've got a Sony str-kg800. I've tried different cables and both my ps3 and blu ray player just aren't seeing the tv as 3d, I can still use the devices but the films and games dont enable the 3d, I really wish there was a way round this as at the moment I'm just using the amp for sound which is a bit of a waste. :(

and use optical for sound to the AVR. When I move and use my 5.1 more Ill likely plug them back into my AVR.[/QUOTE
But what about HD_master Audio you cant get that through Optical?

Its a git but I can do without for now, rooms small and now my girl lives with me its full of....stuff:rolleyes: so prob wont notice the difference....oh! and my subs now disconnected as she doesnt like it:(.....I was a man once:laugh:, never let them move in, never!, just dont do it:facepalm:

I Will be having a man pit when we have a bigger house, oh yeah.:laugh:

Know exactly how you feel, I don't think my sub has been used in the past 8 months because of a new baby so I've resorted to headphones :( at least the missus doesn't mind my kit, she just leaves me to it. If it was up to her we'd still have a 15" portable and a VHS player!

I've got a Sony str-kg800. I've tried different cables and both my ps3 and blu ray player just aren't seeing the tv as 3d, I can still use the devices but the films and games dont enable the 3d, I really wish there was a way round this as at the moment I'm just using the amp for sound which is a bit of a waste. :(

What player do you have and hows the PS3 setup?
May be the AVs too old, sorry dont know a lot about the AV side of things, my Denons an 09 dont know if 1.3 spec changed in 09 to support whats needed.

tbag21 said:

This thread may help a little, different people have got 3D working on various 1.3 Amps using different setting on the other equipment: http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...ssthrough-please-post-your-experiences-2.html

Its a git but I can do without for now, rooms small and now my girl lives with me its full of....stuff:rolleyes: so prob wont notice the difference....oh! and my subs now disconnected as she doesnt like it:(.....I was a man once:laugh:, never let them move in, never!, just dont do it:facepalm:

I Will be having a man pit when we have a bigger house, oh yeah.:laugh:

Spent about half an hour in Currys prior to getting my gt30(elsewhere ) with him trying to convince me I could get it via Optical :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom