3D tv active shutter or passive

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Neill, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Neill

Neill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I am new to the AV Forums so go easy on me!! I appreciate that this question has probably been asked a thousand times before but I am uncertain whether to go for an active or passive 3d tv.

I have seen a LG 32LW45OU passive 3d TV on Amazon for £435. It comes with 7 pairs of glasses (the same type that you wear in the cinema for 3D films). Its aroused my interest primarily because I have been holding back from a 3D TV to see which way the prices/technology went.

I have seen active shutter TVs in my local Currys but have never seen passive technology in action. I have a low budget of about £500 maximum but my question is should I wait and save up a few £s and get an active 3D set or is this set worth the money. It will be in a bedroom and used for PS3 gaming and possibly Sky 3D occassionally in the future. I have even looked at a 23 inch version of this set and am considering it.

Any help or advice about this LG TV or whether size affects 3D etc would be much appreciated.:D

2. billyboy2012

billyboy2012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not a particularly big fan of 3d anyway- I think its over rated tbh and won't properly catch on unless a near cinema style setup and love to immerse yourself in tv. but it seems to come "free" with the high end sets anyway :)

Best thing is to google pros and cons and see which most applies to you. As cost is a big factor in active, passive appeals if lots of kids likely to break the glasses. If there is just two of you its less significant.

Can we learn from the two most respected manufacturers (sung and pana) and that they are both active? Have LG gone for passive as cheaper to develop?

Or is it a marketing/sales driven as you earn more £££ from selling active glasses?