3D Touch failure

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Inked, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,557
    Looks like I’m going to have to try and get a replacement X as 3D Touch failed on mine tonight.

Been on chat with Apple and currently waiting for my phone to restore to factory through iTunes to rule out software issues. From having a quick look round the web it looks like it’s going to be hardware failure.

If it’s confirmed I’ll be on to John Lewis tomorrow to try and get it replaced (hopefully the chat transcript will suffice as confirmation of the problem)

Anyone else had the same issue?

2. daredevill

daredevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Not had that but my last X had a front 3D camera failure which was a hardware issue. It said on screen take to apple store for repair.

They don’t make them like they used to, that’s for sure.

3. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,557
    Full restore to factory just after midnight and still no 3D Touch, got a chat with Apple and they’ve confirmed it will need a hardware repair.

However, after restoring all of my info, at about 2am, the 3D Touch started working intermittently. I put the phone on charge and went to sleep. As of now, 3D Touch seems to be fully working again.

I’m now left wondering what the issue actually is.

Only thing I can think of is that rather than the touch sensor it’s to do with the accelerometer getting “stuck” (as I understand it, 3D Touch also uses the accelerometer) and its reset itself while I’ve been waking around with the phone upside down in my pocket on the school run.

Will be keeping an eye on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
  4. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,557
    Aaaaaand, it’s failed again. :/

Edit: aaaaaannd, it’s working again.

Definitely time to contact JL

5. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Wouldn’t bother with John Lewis, just go straight to Apple to get it swapped as it’s still in warranty.

6. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,557
    Apple support offered a screen replacement. I’m not convinced it is the screen that’s the issue.

I’ll wait to hear back from JL to see if they offer to swap it under their 2 year warranty before taking to Apple (really can’t be doing with the hassle of the Genius Bar appointment system plus at least a couple of hours out of my life as I don’t have a store that near me)

7. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,557
    Had my appointment at Apple today. Confirmed the fault visibly with the staff members but as the diagnostics couldn’t determine what was causing the issue I was told it would have to be sent away for an indeterminate amount of time for Apple to figure out what the issue is and that I’d be loaned an iPhone 6 while it’s sent away.

Refused and have brought the phone home with me, JL and Apple are currently refusing to replace the phone as it is past 30 days old.

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,612
    Yes that's the law and you have declined for the device to be inspected ergo an impasse.

9. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,557
    I understand that, and I haven’t refused for the phone to be inspected, it has been inspected, the fault has been proven, just not what’s causing it.
    I’ve currently declined to have my phone sent away as they were unable to provide any indication of when it would be returned to me.

Apple support have now escalated the issue anyway, so I’ll wait and see what they come back with.