3d through yamaha receiver

Brooktop

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not sure which forum to post this in, but thought I'd try here.

I have a ps3 and yamaha ax861se. On my old tv i sent the hdmi from the ps3 and an hdmi from my sky box to the receiver. I then used the hdmi out of the amp going to the tv.

I've just bought a 3d tv but the tv wasn't detecting the 3d signal from the ps3. I've connected the ps3 direct to the tv and now it DOES recognise the 3d signal.

But of course I've now lost my hi def audio from the ps3.

What are my options considering that the ps3 only has 1 hdmi port? Is there a splitter that can be put into the ps3 so that it sends audio to the amp and picture to the tv? Do I need a newer amp? I know there is an ARC enablec hdmi port on the tv but I'm not sure how that would involve the amp.

Helllppppp:lease:

You need a new amp with a version 1.4 HDMI interface. 3D Blu-ray video will not passthrough older HDMI 1.3 interfaces.

The PS3 bypasses the HDMI 1.4 requirement for 3D Blu-ray in return for not being able to output HD audio while at the same time outputting 3D Blu-ray content. You still need HDMI version 1.4 on the amp though in order to passthrough the video to a 3D TV. You cannot output HD audio at the same time as 3D Blu-ray content via a PS3 regardless of the AV amp. You'd need to buy both a new AV amp and a dedicated 3D Blu-ray player to get both HD audio and 3D video.

Splitting the HDMI output of the PS3 makes no odds. Both signals are the same and the return signal from your amp will prevent any output at all from the PS3.

ARC (Audio Return Channel) is a new feature of HDMI 1.4, but both your TV and your amp must be HDMI 1.4 compliant and have ARC capabilities to utilise it.

Last edited:
I'd come to the conclusion that I need a new amp but didn't realise I can't have 3d and hd audio. What's the best I will get? Dolby Digital?

Thanks for your help. I was thinking of getting a new Sony receiver this time to try and minimise compatability issues.

I'd come to the conclusion that I need a new amp but didn't realise I can't have 3d and hd audio. What's the best I will get? Dolby Digital?

Dolby Digital or DTS.

Had read on another site that you can only get stereo. Is that wrong then. Of course I also have the option of using the optical digital out.

Not sure what to do now. I'm willing to lose uncompressed audio for the rare occassions I watch a 3d blu ray.

Getting to the back of the amp is fiddly but not to the back of the tv so am willing to do some cable swapping.

Had read on another site that you can only get stereo. Is that wrong then. Of course I also have the option of using the optical digital out.

Not sure what to do now. I'm willing to lose uncompressed audio for the rare occassions I watch a 3d blu ray.

Getting to the back of the amp is fiddly but not to the back of the tv so am willing to do some cable swapping.

With 3D Blu-rays, you get multichannel audio with the PS3, but not the HD formats. You'd still get DD and/or DTS 5.1, the same as you'd be limited to if using the PS3's optical out. S/PDIF and the PS3's optical audio output do not allow the streaming of HD formats. The only way to access HD audio with the PS3 is via HDMI.

What about purchasing a new dedicated 3D Blu-ray player with Dual HDMI output? This would allow you to connect one output to your amp for the audio and the other to your TV for the 3D video. There's not much choice if wanting a budget model though, in fact you'd be limited to the £200 Panasonic DMP-BDT310.

Thanks again dante. Was thinking of getting a 3d compatible amp from Richer Sounds. £180 for the 520 or £230 for the 820.

I might take a bit of a hit on the music quality but I never use the amp for music...just movies and gaming. I could also sell my amp.

Thanks again dante. Was thinking of getting a 3d compatible amp from Richer Sounds. £180 for the 520 or £230 for the 820.

I might take a bit of a hit on the music quality but I never use the amp for music...just movies and gaming. I could also sell my amp.

Keep your current amp, it is far better than any of the newer budget models ;)

For much the same money, buy yourself a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 with dual HDMI output. You can still hook up your PS3 for games as well as the dedicated player for 3D Blu-rays.

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/panasonic/dmpbdt310/pana-dmpbdt310

Last edited:
I'll actually be spending much more of my 3d time with gaming. Have just had a go at Batman, motorstorm and wipeout in 3d and they're awesome.

Brooktop said:
I'll actually be spending much more of my 3d time with gaming. Have just had a go at Batman, motorstorm and wipeout in 3d and they're awesome.

Space on the tv cabinet wouldn't allow for another device either :-(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom