3D through a 2D amp?

LostBoyNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried watching something in 3D through a "normal" HDMI amp? Instead of an HDMI 1.4 amp.

Since the PS3 only has HDMI 1.3 yet it can do 3D, and apparently will do Full HD 3D blu-ray later this year via a firmware upgrade, I'm a bit confused as to what's really needed.

If the PS3 can do 3D over HDMI, I don't see how it should be any different passing it through a regular amp than plugging it directly into the TV.

from what i can gather it will not work with a standard 3d Blueray player. as for the ps3 i have no idea how it will work.

i have a fairly high specced onkyo sr -750 which is a cracking amp.

I have looked at a number of forums however and it seems that the picture would not pass through the amp.

So if i brought a 3D TV i'd also need a AMP that does 1.4 HDMI?
Have Onkyo 606 at the moment.

Last edited:
So if i brought a 3D TV i'd also need a AMP that does 1.4 HDMI?
Have Onkyo 606 at the moment.

The Panasonic 3D player has two HDMI outs, one for the Amp & one for the TV, I'm guessing other players will follow suite before long, as for the PS3 I was wondering this myself but as pointed out & for some unknown reason the Onkyo's are not allowing the signal to pass through? I must admit I thought they would :confused:

Yep, I can confirm that my Onkyo 606 has become an overpriced standard DD/DTS receiver because neither my PS3 or Samsung BDP work through it so having to go direct to my TV.

I've been looking for a HDMI 1.4 splitter but not found one yet

Yep, I can confirm that my Onkyo 606 has become an overpriced standard DD/DTS receiver because neither my PS3 or Samsung BDP work through it so having to go direct to my TV.

So your saying the 606 will not pass through a 1080P signal fro either the BD or PS3? don't understand this as lots of people do it? :confused: I was referring to 3D pass through.

So your saying the 606 will not pass through a 1080P signal fro either the BD or PS3? don't understand this as lots of people do it? :confused: I was referring to 3D pass through.

3D, yes, I didn't think I had to explicitly state it as that was what we were talking about :rolleyes:

Decided to try this to see if it would work on my setup - Sony BDP-S470, Onkyo 607, and Samsung 55C8000.

I initially set this up with a HDMI cable between bluray and TV, but recabled with the amp in between using 1.4 spec cables. The ONLY problem was that the TV did not automatically detect a 3D signal, and needed to be switched to that mode..no big deal as far as I'm concerned

my samsung never automatically switches to 3d - i always have to manually press the remote button.

Anyone got there Onkyo 606 to work with a 3D TV yet? Just odrdered the 63" samsung.:)

If the 606 has issues, one suggestion might be the Neet splitter.

I was thinking of using one as lordpaul had mentioned, and queried when Neet would have one available. I was told that the current model (v 1.3b) will pass a 3D signal, which led me to try a connection through my amp to see if I really needed one. Neet trade on Amazon BTW.

Fortunately for me that worked, but otherwise it would have been one cable from splitter to amp for audio, and the other to TV for video.

as for the ps3 i have no idea how it will work.

From what I have read, the PS3's chip is upgradeable via firmware to enable it to handle 3D. Older AVR's don't have chips that can be upgraded via firmware.

There was some discussion of current switches/splitters in the "Cables" forum working for 3D so it is a matter of trying. I am in the same situation and definitely don't want to spend even more money on a new AVR!!

1.4 spec'd splitters will come out later in the year according to one of the assured advertisers here.

If the 606 has issues, one suggestion might be the Neet splitter.

I was thinking of using one as lordpaul had mentioned, and queried when Neet would have one available. I was told that the current model (v 1.3b) will pass a 3D signal, which led me to try a connection through my amp to see if I really needed one. Neet trade on Amazon BTW.

Fortunately for me that worked, but otherwise it would have been one cable from splitter to amp for audio, and the other to TV for video.

so what solution did you go for in the end - i was thinking for my ps3 of just plugging the video into my tv and connecting my amp by optical to the amp.

with my samsung 3d player i was going to buy a set of analogue outputs and again run those to the amp for the audio and ran the video straight to the t v

so what solution did you go for in the end - i was thinking for my ps3 of just plugging the video into my tv and connecting my amp by optical to the amp.

with my samsung 3d player i was going to buy a set of analogue outputs and again run those to the amp for the audio and ran the video straight to the t v

I had been running HDMI to the TV, and COAX to the amp from the bluray, but decided to test HDMI through the amp before investing in a splitter, and found it works. So it has saved me either £30ish for a splitter

The one thing that was annoying me was not having HD audio from the new player, and working out the best method to control two players of the same make, in the same rack.

So will redo a whole lot of cabling at the weekend, and retire the old player to the bedroom.

it seems from you have described then that the onkyo 607 will pass the 3d signal from the ps3 but the onkyo 705 will not

it seems from you have described then that the onkyo 607 will pass the 3d signal from the ps3 but the onkyo 705 will not

Since a 606 doesn't either, I can't help wondering what the difference between each generation actually is in terms of functionality??

Are you using 1.4 cables and have the amp set to passthrough for video?

I would be curious to hear the thoughts of any 875 owners as I am keen to go 3D but dont want several cables going to my TV and amp separately.

Are you using 1.4 cables and have the amp set to passthrough for video?

I would be curious to hear the thoughts of any 875 owners as I am keen to go 3D but dont want several cables going to my TV and amp separately.

I'm using cables which work fine direct to my telly, and yes the amp is set to passthrough.

I thought it would be safe to assume that most people reading this thread would have known I meant HDMI!

I know you meant HDMI, but HDMI consortium doesn't recognize a classification that would include anything called "1.4 HDMI cable" ;) If you are referring to a high-speed cable that is guaranteed to sustain the 10.2 Gbps datarate, it is just that and has nothing to do with the 1.4 HDMI chipset...

if a cable is labeled only as 1.4, it is definitely not HDMI certified and doesn't tell whether it supports networking or not...

Is there a difference if i'll only be using the PS3 or skyHD as my 3D source?

And is there a difference if I only play games, not watch blurays?

I'd be willing to ignore 3D bluray for a year or so until its naturally time to update my receiver, if games work ok on PS3. I'm assuming sky will just work because its just using a normal 1080i signal and splitting the picture in half

I know you meant HDMI, but HDMI consortium doesn't recognize a classification that would include anything called "1.4 HDMI cable" ;) If you are referring to a high-speed cable that is guaranteed to sustain the 10.2 Gbps datarate, it is just that and has nothing to do with the 1.4 HDMI chipset...

if a cable is labeled only as 1.4, it is definitely not HDMI certified and doesn't tell whether it supports networking or not...

Oh well, I unnecessarily stand corrected :smashin:

Oh well, I unnecessarily stand corrected :smashin:

Whilst the poster is correct I think you can be forgiven since that's how 95% of these cables are Marketed ;), i.e. if they have Ethernet & ARC then companies usually call them 1.4 version :thumbsup: (albeit incorrect :rolleyes:) :)

Is there a difference if i'll only be using the PS3 or skyHD as my 3D source?

And is there a difference if I only play games, not watch blurays?

I'd be willing to ignore 3D bluray for a year or so until its naturally time to update my receiver, if games work ok on PS3. I'm assuming sky will just work because its just using a normal 1080i signal and splitting the picture in half

well my amp does not pass through the ps3 3d games - i dont know about sky as i do not run sky through my amp

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom