3D - The format nobody wanted

I think some of us may be surprised but I suspect 4k and OLED will be similar in the users mind to 3D, a non-event, true it won't have the same polarising opinions as 3D, but since most consumers don't know the difference between lcd and Plasma, I doubt OLED will fill them with a need to upgrade, and until 1080p sets begin to die and 4k is the norm on tv sets will we see a massive uptake. Most people I know only got a 1080p set because they wanted one of those flat tvs that look nice and 1080 was part of the package.

CES is about new stuff, 3D isn't new, it's normal tv tech now, there is no benefit to the manufacturers to promote it. It doesn't mean longterm it won't prove a reasonable feature, but when you've got 4k and OLED you're not going to show a feature that hasn't been meaningfully moved on in the last 2 years.

Avatar in 3d blu ray on my Panasonic home cinema projector ae5000 is the best blu ray I have ever seen to date

Titanic in 3d blu ray at home is the second best blu ray I have ever watched

And Cars 2 in 3d blu ray at home is the third best blu ray I have watched at home

Its the best watching HD in 3d as it looks almost life like with the 3rd dimension

My panasonic 3d projector is the best gadget I have bought to date, and I buy alot of gadgets

Yes there is a lack of content, but I hope it doesn't die, and manufacturers produce content by default as opposed to fan fare productions

please try HUGO i hope you like it as much. I think its better as a story and for 3d camera work

witchdrash said:
I think some of us may be surprised but I suspect 4k and OLED will be similar in the users mind to 3D, a non-event, true it won't have the same polarising opinions as 3D, but since most consumers don't know the difference between lcd and Plasma, I doubt OLED will fill them with a need to upgrade, and until 1080p sets begin to die and 4k is the norm on tv sets will we see a massive uptake. Most people I know only got a 1080p set because they wanted one of those flat tvs that look nice and 1080 was part of the package.

CES is about new stuff, 3D isn't new, it's normal tv tech now, there is no benefit to the manufacturers to promote it. It doesn't mean longterm it won't prove a reasonable feature, but when you've got 4k and OLED you're not going to show a feature that hasn't been meaningfully moved on in the last 2 years.

4k I still think could be non event as 8k is 2 years away from broadcast and even BBC has been playing with it. Commercially 5years maybe. That investment you just made will feel like a kick in the teeth.

OLED is the star of CES especially pannys new 4k one as shows they want to go higher res on better panel tech.

OLED is sexy.

cableman said:
please try HUGO i hope you like it as much. I think its better as a story and for 3d camera work

Love HUGO 3D. The best for me is the clock tower looking across Paris. Amazing depth.

:lesson:Hugo 3D is zzzzzz a really dull movie first half is decent then it spunn off into a bottom less oblivion even 3D could save that script..

Sorry to disagree Vak. U are soooooooo wrong lol

Each to his own eh?

OLED is sexy.

I don't disagree, but can I honestly see my wife, sister, or parents, going damn OLED tvs are £400 for a 40" set now I'm off to buy one. Nope, sorry. Can I see me going OLED tvs are now £1000 for a 46" set I'm off to buy one yes, for most people a tv is just a tv, all these new whistles and bells are fairly irrelevant to most.

witchdrash said:
I don't disagree, but can I honestly see my wife, sister, or parents, going damn OLED tvs are £400 for a 40" set now I'm off to buy one. Nope, sorry. Can I see me going OLED tvs are now £1000 for a 46" set I'm off to buy one yes, for most people a tv is just a tv, all these new whistles and bells are fairly irrelevant to most.

£400 for 40" ? That is a great price. Im in on that.

Id go down to 56" for OLED. =)

Well this year 3D is dead as exspected....

It's official: 3D is dead | The Verge

really, its not been a massive success true, but frankly why concentrate on technology originally pushed out in CES 2007 when you can push new technology, not seen many people pushing remote controls (except lgs magic remote fine!) but they're not dead. There's plenty of evidence of 3D still being around, but is it the primary focus, no, because they've really got nothing new to show, until someone brings in a set that gets rid of the glasses theres nothing new to add.

:boring:

3D is just getting started.

Just getting started :rotfl:dream on its 3D 4rth year almost no movies out in 3DBD last year beeen a huge flopp the whole thing

Just getting started :rotfl:dream on its 3D 4rth year almost no movies out in 3DBD last year beeen a huge flopp the whole thing

Yeah,that's why practically every Blockbuster is 3D,right? :laugh:

- 2013 -
(U.S. Release Dates)
Gravity (tbc)
47 Ronin (Dec 25)
Walking with Dinosaurs (Dec 20)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Dec 13)
One Direction 3D Concert Movie (Nov 8)
Thor: The Dark World (Nov 8)
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Nov 1)
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (Sep 20)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Sep 27)
The Little Mermaid (Sep 13)
Smurfs 2 (Jul 31)
Pacific Rim (Jul 12)
Independence Day (Jul 3)
Monsters University (Jun 21)
Man Of Steel (Jun 14)
Epic (May 24)
Star Trek Into Darkness (May 17)
The Great Gatsby (May 10)
Iron Man 3 (May 3)
Jurassic Park (Apr 5)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Mar 29)
The Croods (Mar 22)
Oz: The Great And Powerful (Mar 8)
Escape From Planet Earth (Feb 14)
Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters (Jan 25)
Texas Chainsaw 3D (Jan 4)
and more that haven't been announced yet....

Feb 7, 2014 LEGO
Mar 7, 2014 All You Need Is Kill
Mar 14, 2014 Maleficent
Mar 14, 2014 Me and My Shadow
Apr 11, 2014 Stretch Armstrong
May 2, 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2
May 16, 2014 Untitled Godzilla Film
May 23, 2014 Dawn of The Planet of The Apes
May 30, 2014 The Good Dinosaur
Jun 20, 2014 How to Train Your Dragon 2
Jul 18, 2014 The Hobbit: There and Back Again
Jul 18, 2014 X-Men: Days of Future Past
Sep 26, 2014 Popeye (2014)
Nov 26, 2014 Happy Smekday!
Dec 19, 2014 Untitled Minions Project in 3D
+ more not announced yet....

then there's
Avengers 2 (2015) + all future Marvel movies
Star Wars Episode 7/8/9 + future spin-offs (2015 and beyond)
next TinTin movie
San Andreas 3D
Tron Legacy Sequel 3D

so yeah,things are looking really bleak for 3D...... :rotfl:

Lionsgate, Samsung Partner to Deliver More 3D Movies at Home | The Wrap Movies

I guess business is real bad,shame Lionsgate and Samsung aren't listening to you. :laugh:

really, its not been a massive success true, but frankly why concentrate on technology originally pushed out in CES 2007 when you can push new technology, not seen many people pushing remote controls (except lgs magic remote fine!) but they're not dead. There's plenty of evidence of 3D still being around, but is it the primary focus, no, because they've really got nothing new to show, until someone brings in a set that gets rid of the glasses theres nothing new to add.

leave him to it,he obviously knows something the studios and Tv manufacturers don't..... :D

:laugh: what a line up any less movies? :laugh:

Thank you for proving the format is on its last legs :smashin:

thank you for proving your utter cluelessness! :smashin:

You may have noticed all these films are the big-hitters and will account for the majority of box office receipts,not to mention had you indeed read the list properly you'd noticed the line 'and more that haven't been announced yet'. :facepalm:

thank you for proving your utter cluelessness! :smashin:

You may have noticed all these films are the big-hitters and will account for the majority of box office receipts,not to mention had you indeed read the list properly you'd noticed the line 'and more that haven't been announced yet'. :facepalm:

Well seems i know what was out in 2012 ;) and i see 2013 is as bad :rotfl:

Interesting discussion, although in itself nothing new as these type of threads are old on here.

I think the thread title is missing the point though, because as others point out CES is about new tech and 3D isn't new. Even a few years ago how much talk was there about Bluray? Not alot because it was already out. Was there a "CES 2009 - The format nobody wanted" thread then? Nope.

My own take on 3D is that done well it looks great, and I've really enjoyed a couple of 3D BDs recently (Prometheus, Hugo and most recently Dredd). However, and this is a BIG however, although I have a load of 3D blurays sitting on the shelf and 6 pairs of glasses, most of the time we can't be bothered and the three titles above are the first 3D movies we've watched in over a year. And this imho, is why 3D will remain niche: despite access and content being readily available for many years to come, who really cares?

Your post makes absolutely no sense, both grammatically and your last statement.

Well seems i know what was out in 2012 ;) and i see 2013 is as bad :rotfl:

I'll keep this exchange in mind and dig it up every so often to have a good laugh at your fail. :laugh:

I'll keep this exchange in mind and dig it up every so often to have a good laugh at your fail. :laugh:

Dont think youll bump this one up ;) enjoy the big movies as smurf 2 :laugh:

Dont think youll bump this one up ;) enjoy the big movies as smurf 2 :laugh:

I'll bump this up and rub your nose in it,too. ;)

Smurfs 2 isn't on my to watch list,but I'll enjoy the likes of Gravity,Pacific Rim and Star Trek in glorious 3D,the way they're meant to be experienced. :smashin:

I'll bump this up and rub your nose in it,too. ;)

Smurfs 2 isn't on my to watch list,but I'll enjoy the likes of Gravity,Pacific Rim and Star Trek in glorious 3D,the way they're meant to be experienced. :smashin:

:smashin:let the rest of us dream of 4k n oled

Yeah,especially 4k 3D since that's where the Industry is heading. :rotfl:

:laugh: link 2 this 4k3D as they havent even made any 2D 4K :smashin:
Keep the gems comming lad ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom