3d Technika bundle

12harry

Distinguished Member
This is a Tesco deal, which includes spare polaroid glasses and Philips BDP3282.3D player with HDMI cable.-------------The TV is 3D, obviously and 42" . . .and the blurb says the BD recorder includes internet connection to YouTube....

I wonder if anyone has either one of these and can say if it's good and sharp? I don't see any recorded 3D BD-discs and believe 3D is best seen from computer-generated content. I hope to play my own videos burnt to DVD (and later BD when the PC drives [and Discs!] are more affordable ).

It claims Full HD 1080p for the TV, although my HD camera is 1080i

It's not obvious who makes the TV, although the BD player is a real Philips as it says.

I'd like to use the screen for video-editing, using my PC and DVI output from the Graphics card. Unfortunately the tech details are somewhat thin, and I can't see behind the set (in store) to check its connections, but I recall it's possible to connect PC's via HDMI.

- - - - And anything else?

Demonmick

Standard Member
i dont have one yet but am considering it at the price it is but as for connection to pc if your card does not support Hdmi there is a way around this on amazon they have a cable DVI to HDMI that would serve as an adequate replacement but you will need to also use a seperate input for audio as dvi does not support audio but the picture will scale to full HD with that cable i do have this cable for my current TV
hope this helps on connection question

12harry

Distinguished Member
That mol confirms what I thought re connection (but worth askng in-store too), however, I've discussed this with others and their view is that 3D is dead, no contents and probably causes the display to lose brightness - so not exactly ideal for "normal" use.

I've also seen better deals at RicherSounds - although their stock varies more than Tesco, it appears a non-3D set would be somewhat cheaper...so the Tesco 3D isn't the bargain I thought (Although if you NEED 3D then it might be yet).

Perhaps when you've seen one, you can post yr impressions, etc>?
Thanks

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
I've discussed this with others and their view is that 3D is dead, no contents and probably causes the display to lose brightness - so not exactly ideal for "normal" use.
I can assure you 3D is quite amazing ('astonishing' even) on a good set and no way can it be described as dead (can't speak for this set though)

Don't forget you'll need quite a hefty graphics card to drive a Full HD monitor as otherwise the results may be disappointing.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Thanks Jason, I have seen 3D at a Sony Centre and it is magnificent, the point was made to me that there is no 3D content generally available in the UK, confirmed when I looked at Tesco's shelves - and the "Bundle" doesn't include one 3D disc as far as I read it. When I saw the 3D it was computer generated and this may be where it will come - but I'm not aware of much ballyhoo created by TV channels - so their point was that I'm buying into something that will only show up the downside - principally the need for greater screen brightness (=power) to compensate for the Polaroid screen filter (which I presume gives the L+R imagery; the supplied glasses are plain Polaroid.). Furthermore, I'm still paying more ((than "normal" TV's.)).

My graphics card is 500Mb and currently can drive two LCD monitors - I don't think this need worry me as it's easily upgraded, should I need it. My camcorder is HD 1080i and I Edit in HD, although all my burnt DVD's are 720, naturally. My own vids are reasonable good definaition, low noise etc...so my concern is more at the Bundle Drawbacks.......& see alternatives . . . my post #3

Last edited:

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
...so their point was that I'm buying into something that will only show up the downside - principally the need for greater screen brightness (=power) to compensate for the Polaroid screen filter (which I presume gives the L+R imagery; the supplied glasses are plain Polaroid.).
The drop in brightness on these passive sets is really very small (50% sounds a lot but not to our eyes) and is actually considered one of passive tech's strong points. In fact I find it helps improve black levels when watching in the dark.

I take your point on lack of 3D content but it's worth remembering that a good 2D->3D converter provides access to a lot of old films (I've bought two and watch all films in 3D).

12harry

Distinguished Member
Can you say why you took it back - I've seen the same offer in several Tesco's and they seem to be somewhat cheaper than other 3D TV's - but I'm gradually thinking I really do not need 3D (-esp as there is precious little material to watch).

From what I read (here) there are newer BlueRay players that can do wonders with HD and different frame-rates . . . so it might be sensible to wait for them to come through, although a "bundle " with a Philips player looked attractive.

How does the LG shape up, now you've had time to check it out?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom