Question 3D Sync issues in bright scenes - Benq W2000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cobblex, Jan 15, 2017.

1. cobblex

cobblex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Paid around £12 a pair for some Sainsonic Bravia 3d DLP glasses for my W2000. However I'm having issues with the sync during bright scenes. I'm now looking to return them as they're not fit for purpose but I wanted to check that this isn't just the norm for DLP glasses. I've found a few threads online which mention bright images and syncing issues.

Question is am I likely to notice a different between budget and more expensive options? Or is this just the way it is? If a more expensive option (like the Benq official ones, about £50) is going to work all of the time then I'm prepared to get them but be good to know if anyone else has experienced similar issues and found changing brand/budget made a difference.

2. TrevAtBBD

TrevAtBBD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've tried a couple of different 3D glasses with my W1070+ and had excellent results with both. First set are Pergear 144hz DLP - Link from Amazon, brilliant image quality that completely blocks the red tint found on DLP Link projectors, however they are not particularly comfortable and are quite flimsy around the battery compartment. I then tried a set of RX30S from eBay which also give excellent image quality on par with the Pergears, but they do seem to have better build quality, are rechargable via USB, and you can swap the glasses arms out for a clip mechanism to clip onto prescription glasses which is a massive plus for me. The RX30S are definitely going to be my goto glasses whenever I need extras or replacements. (The only thing to bear in mind with the RX30S is they default sync left to right so you have press the sync button twice for the 3D image to display correctly. You can if you want, change the sync order in the benq settings to match the glasses to make syncing easier)

3. cobblex

cobblex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your response. Will check out the Pergears, they're even cheaper than the Sainsonics I bought.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am using the Pergear glasses with a w1110 and they work really well, no problems at all.
    I haven't broken them yet but they only cost £7 so not the worst thing if I do.

5. evoga

evoga
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the spec for the RX30S they are the slower 120Hz, not 144Hz. Does this make any difference?

6. Idle Bull

Idle Bull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I've just got a couple of pairs on the Bravias and they have been fine.

I sometimes wonder if sync issues are down to the projector being too bright, I have mine on Eco for all viewing, and I use an ND2 filter for 2D viewing but not for 3D.

It's a W1070 by the way, with the brightness, contrast and Gamma settings based on the setting recommended by the avforums reviewer.

7. cobblex

cobblex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Idle Bull - interesting. I've only had the projector a month and haven't changed any of the settings. I'll try switching to eco and see if that makes any difference. If not I'll experiment ordering a couple of cheap alternatives until I find something that works.

8. Idle Bull

Idle Bull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    It's worth a try. I found lowering the output made the picture look more film like. It also helped with blacks and shadow detail. I initially calibrated with the THX optimiser patterns on an old Star Wars DVD, and this was pretty much what AV Forums recommended. The main difference was a small adjustment to the gamma setting.

Before I had the Bravia glasses, I has 4 pairs of G15 glasses that never put a foot wrong. 2 Pack Detachable 144Hz 3D Active Shutter Glasses for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics they're definitely cheap enough to try but are not rechargeable and are a bit flimsy.

9. TrevAtBBD

TrevAtBBD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I'm aware the RX30S sync range is from 96Hz to 144Hz as they certainly work flawlessly with 1070+.

10. cobblex

cobblex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to follow up the Pergear G15's did the trick. They are so flimsy though. Make the Sainsonic Bravia's feel like Ray Ban's in comparison in terms of finish, quality and comfort. But at least the G15's actually work. Tested exactly the same problem scenes and no issues. Thanks all.

11. jacobe

jacobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Happy to see the OP fixed his issue, but I hope it's okay to open this topic again to get some new input since I have a similar issue, although I find it a little more complicated.

We swapped a W1070+ for a W2000 a few months ago. We already had a pair of G-15 glasses, as well as three sets of glasses commonly known as the "Gonbes G05", although I suspect them to be identical to glasses branded as both "Ultra-Clear" and "Sainsonic". They look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, all of them worked fairly well with the W1070+. We were never overly thrilled with the 3D picture quality of the W1070+, we found it pretty dark and never really liked the colors, but at least 3D worked. We had the occasional sync-loss, and always when the screen was extremely bright (like the fade-to-white scene in the beginning of "Batman vs Superman" and the hospital interview scene at the end of "Life of Pi"). Not a huge deal, in most movies there were no issues at all. But with the W2000 we have issues in nearly all movies. If just the majority of the screen goes fairly bright they now lose sync.

I've put a lot of energy into trying to solve this annoying issue, done a lot of Googling and have found other forum topics describing the same issue, and tried every trick I've read about, like covering the receiver lens on the glasses with tape, clear as well as colored or even black electric tape on different areas of the lens, but nothing makes any difference.
    However, one thing actually do make a significant difference: if I decrease the contrast remarkably, and thereby making the 3D image look more like the dark and dull image I remember from the W1070+, I can minimize, but not eliminate, the problem. Extremely bright scenes still throw them off but at least the glasses will hold sync better in other scenes.
    The W2000 has a contrast ratio of 15000:1 against the W1070+'s ratio of 10000:1, so that might have something to do with it, but then again, the superior contrast is one of the reasons the W2000 is a better projector in the first place, and lowering this contrast in order to make 3D work is NOT really the route I want to go.

Since we have already have the G-15 glasses, for whatever reason the fix that worked for the OP is obviously not going to work for us. We realise the glasses we have probably aren't of the best quality, because they don't seem to be able to deal with high contrast, and I will try other glasses, but instead of testing them all, here's my request:

If you own a Benq W2000 (apparently known as HT3050 outside Europe) and have no issues with 3D whatsoever, please list your Contrast and Brightness settings for 3D (remember the settings are individual for each picture mode) and state the name and model of your 3D glasses and your blu-ray player.

And obviously, if you have an idea to fix the issue that I haven't already tried, I'm all ears!

THANK YOU!

12. Idle Bull

Idle Bull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I've since found that the Sainsonic Bravias lost sync occasionally, again on very bright scenes or scenes with a lot of white. the worst offender was when I was watching Minions with my daughter.

As an experiment, I took a black Sharpie pen and coloured in the clear sensor lens on one pair, it seems to have worked, and I haven't yet found an issue on darker scenes.

I'll need to experiment more though, as I haven't had much chance to watch movies recently. I'll report back when I've had more experience of the "fix".

13. jacobe

jacobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, Nick. I actually tried that, too, both directly on the lens as well as coloring a piece of clear tape, but it just made it worse. I've also tried photo negatives and pieces from an anti-static bag for computer parts - nothing helps the problem.
    Either I need much better glasses (hence my request), or I need to change something in the picture without comprimising contrast & brightness too much. I've thought about the possibility of the player actually being the culprit, but changing to a PS3 didn't make a difference, either.

14. Idle Bull

Idle Bull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I've only tried the fix a couple of times, so now I'm not holding out much hope that it actually works consistently.

The cheapo G15 glasses don't have any sync issues at all, unfortunately the arms are breaking (I have a large head), and I was hoping the Sainsonics would be longer lasting and more comfortable.

Hope you find a solution, and can you share if you do, it could help others.

15. jacobe

jacobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Oh, rest assured that I will share any break-through's I may encounter. And unfortunately for us the G-15's do have sync issues on our W2000.
    I wonder if you could do me a favour: wearing the G-15's, could you try and crank up the contrast on your W1070 and see what happens?

16. jacobe

jacobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    To anyone interested, we fixed our issues by buying the original Benq DGD5 glasses. Not as comfortable as the Gonbes G05's but they hold sync perfectly in the two problematic scenes decribed earlier, and they also have better contrast making the overall image much nicer. They're expensive as fudge but definitely worth it.

Conclusion: life's too short for cheap 3D glasses.

17. jacobe

jacobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    UPDATE:

We bought a pair of the "Hi-Shock" glasses reviewed in this topic to test if they were actually just rebranded Benq's (or vice versa). And although extremely similar, they are not identical. They do not hold sync as well as the Benq's but at least much better than any other non-Benq glasses we have tried, the scene must be very bright and they lose sync for just a brief moment, not seconds. So as an alternative to the overly expensive original DGD5's they work quite well at half the price, around £25 on Amazon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]