1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Screens!?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by frank19, Aug 27, 2004.

1. frank19

frank19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just when I thought I was ready to make my decision about plasma/LCD screens those pesky engineers at Sharp have only gone and invented a 3D display :clap: :thumbsup:

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=2314&c=458488&guid=&s=

Sharp 15" LCD Computer display LL-151-3D

OK so it's a computer panel but how cool is that! :cool:

It seems pretty new so maybe no one has seen one in action yet but if you have - please post. Also, anyone know if this sort of thing could make it to TV/DVD use rather than just software run?

Cheers :beer:

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can almost guareentee that this will eventualy make it to TV (although perhaps not with this method). Manufactuers are always looking for new technology to sell to us. And we are always looking for new technology to buy. :D

The technology to get this to our screens is just a case of taking two cameras about 2.5 inches apart to record the film. Using current technology such as Sky+ the image on the right eye could be sent on one channel and the left on an other. The Display would then just have to use each channel and route it to the correct part of the display. I'm sure boffins are already working on this as we speak.

The only problems with a display of this type are that, if your eyes are not totally horizontal, the image will look a bit funny. Also this type of display can cause eye strain as your eyes do not cope brilliantly with focusing on a fixed plane while the brain tells them that the image is on multiple planes. Try looking at a magic eye picture for more then 10 minutes and see what I mean.

So it will probably come but may be more of a gimmic rather than a replacement to standard TV. Then next big thing that the boffins are working on though are Holographic TV. This has been demonstarted in principle but the big stumbling block is the bandwidth required to transmit the amount of information required.

3. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

where did you read about that!?! sounds a little like a fantasy to me rather than cold hard facts....

4. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: