3d replacement time

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by wellsc01, Aug 20, 2013.

1. wellsc01

wellsc01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My TV has developed a fault so have decided to replace with a 3d version. Thing is I know what TV I want just a bit unsure with what to replace the existing non 3d AV reciever(Onkyo TX sr605) and Blu ray player(panasonic dmp bd55).
    Would be looking at similar/better specs to existing kit, new or used. Any advice would be really appreciated. Not sure on budget, but obviously the cheaper the better. Cheers.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    Well for starters, you current AV receiver cannot passthrough the sequential 3D video signal associated with 3D Blu-ray titles and your player is restricted to 2D content. Why are you wanting a 3D TV?

If you are still wanting a 3D TV then you need to be looking at 48" or greater. The further you are away from the set then the larger you'll need the screen to be. 3D doesn't really work that well on smaller sets.

I'd set aside £500 - 600 to replace your current AV receiver and player with comparable models that will fascilitate use with 3D content.

I'd suggest spending at least £800 - 1000 on the TV.

3. wellsc01

wellsc01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes I know, which is why I want to replace them. The TV is a 60 inch Plasma, the kids basically would love the benefits of 3d. So any recomendations of a similar 3d ready version of the AV receiver and Blu ray.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    The receiver will pass through side by side 3D, and will of course take sound from any 3D source.
    If you want a new receiver for 3D BRs just take a look at all the current Onkyos to decide which is right for you: Onkyo | Products - Home Cinema Systems - A/V Receiver.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    Or look at a bluray player with dual outputs and send one straight to the TV and one to the AVR with just the sound,

You loose some benefits of getting it all to work off one remote etc but saves you the expense of buying a new AVR

6. wellsc01

wellsc01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, I use a harmony remote for everything so would I still need to use multiple remotes with your suggestion ?
    So what you are saying is that all I need to do is connect the (new)blu ray to the TV directly and to the AV directly ? Would that just be a case of using hdmi cables ? cheers.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    A comparable 3D receiver to your current Onkyo model would be the Onkyo TXNR616 or the 626 which has recently replaced the 616. The 616 is still available for about £300 while the 626 will cost you about £400. If wanting a higher end model then consider the TXNR818 rather than the 717. The 818 offers far more value for money than the 717 and the TXNR818 will cost you about £600.

A comparable Yamaha model to your current receiver would be the RXV673 and this would cost you about £350. I'd suggest looking at Yamaha's more expensive Adventage models is looking to upgrade to something higher than this, although this option may prove to be too expensive?

What speakers do you currently have? It may be the case that your current speakers wouldn't actually portray any audio improvements gained by buying a higher end AV receiver and staying with your current level may be your best option?

You can pick up a perfectly acceptable 3D BD player for about £100. There'd be very little in terms of audio or video quality to differentiate such a player from one costing £600 or more. Something like the Sony BDP-S5100 would be a good budget option as would something like the Panasonic DMP-BDT230.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    One HDMI feed from the player goes to your non 3D compliant receiver in order to convey HD audio while the over feed goes to the TV for the 3D video. A Harmony remote could be used to control all of your kit.

9. wellsc01

wellsc01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, that way would save a lot of money. I have a QAV lcr65 sound bar and wall mounted sub with side satelite wall mounted speakers which I really like. I think they would be ok with new set up.

10. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 for example

11. wellsc01

wellsc01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for all this info Guys, really appreciate it.