3D query and sky

lisbonlion

Right as I was planning on purchasing a projector anyway this year I have pretty much decided to get a 3d capable one. My main query is whether they will be compatible with Sky 3d as I am a bit confused as to how the glasses would work as with the nvidia 3d vision the pc controls the glasses. I know the sky 3d system works with both active and passive glasses but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that explains what exactly I would need to buy if I wanted to use a projector instead of a TV.

Any help would be appreciated.

BassPunk

Have a look at the DLP-link glasses from XpanD, you will need a DLP projector which has a 3D mode but they are known to work well on the 3D capapable Acer H5360 which is available now in the UK.

Im personally waiting for the Optoma GT720 which should launch later this year as I require some features which the Acer is missing.

weyland-yutani

does anyone know how sky are implementing 3D in to homes? is it just a matter of software updates or will new hardware be required?

LCR_Dave

do the 3d projectors mentioned above use the red/green glasses? or like the current cinema ones? also i presume the screen needs to change aswell for the 3d yes? would it look as good as current 3d at the cinema? :confused:

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Firstly with the sky 3-D you will need a new 3-D ready TV panasonic Sony and a couple of other manufacturers have released models (and PJ but not sure how that will work).

Dave it will look as good as the cinema if they use the RealD 3-D system as it is the same as the cinema's but not sure of the price. RealD - The New 3D - Products

Also for both systems you will need the glasses.

I have just been to look round my local independent cinema and got a look in the projection rooms. the system they use is similar to the RealD but with a spinning wheel. Apparently the digital projector originally cost £80,000 then the upgrade for the silver screen and polarising wheel was another £30,000.

LCR_Dave

Firstly with the sky 3-D you will need a new 3-D ready TV panasonic Sony and a couple of other manufacturers have released models (and PJ but not sure how that will work).

Dave it will look as good as the cinema if they use the RealD 3-D system as it is the same as the cinema's but not sure of the price. RealD - The New 3D - Products

Also for both systems you will need the glasses.

I have just been to look round my local independent cinema and got a look in the projection rooms. the system they use is similar to the RealD but with a spinning wheel. Apparently the digital projector originally cost £80,000 then the upgrade for the silver screen and polarising wheel was another £30,000.

thanks for the info mate, reason i asked is i was going to buy a projector last year but decided to hold out for this year, now with the 3d i might as well get a 3d projector if its reasonable $$$

Dave

boksbox

does anyone know how sky are implementing 3D in to homes? is it just a matter of software updates or will new hardware be required?

The Arsenal v Man U game last weekend seems to have been shown on 47" LG 3D TVs, I did see the Panasonic roadshow last year, they used a 103" plasma and were demoing full 1080p 3D which is years away from broadcast.

They were saying that 1080P 3D projectors wuld be prohibitivel expensive for some years yet, don't know if there'll be many compatible with Sky's 3D this year but I doubt they'll be cheap..

LCR_Dave

The Arsenal v Man U game last weekend seems to have been shown on 47" LG 3D TVs, I did see the Panasonic roadshow last year, they used a 103" plasma and were demoing full 1080p 3D which is years away from broadcast.

They were saying that 1080P 3D projectors wuld be prohibitivel expensive for some years yet, don't know if there'll be many compatible with Sky's 3D this year but I doubt they'll be cheap..

if the 720p 3d ones are going to start around 700, 1080p wont be massively different i wouldnt think

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom