3D promised update

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Wil, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may recall that I posted a question about the LCD shutter glasses system for 3D and I promised I'd let you know how I got on.

Well, it arrived today. Nice big box, modular packaging with the DVDs (3 of them) on top, glasses etc beneath. Those awfully nice people at Customs and Excise slapped an extra £16.04 on the price. :mad:

The power supply, as I anticipated, is American - but no problem as the actual unit to be powered takes a DC 9V so picking up an adaptor is no big deal. I already had one in the house anyway.

The system works by putting a composite feed into the box which then outputs to your TV and sends the appropriate signals to your LCD specs. Your DVD player needs to put out such a signal. My Samsung does it simultaneously with scart and gave me a surprise, more of that later.

We fiddled for a while with increasing frustration until we discovered that there was a menu on the DVD which lets you choose whether to watch it in 3D or flat. Doh!

Here's the shock. It WORKS and it is amazing but it even works with my line doubler. :eek: The effect is not anything like as flickery as I expected. I did have to change the setting on my DVD player as you need to output pure NTSC, not the Pal cheat. The DVD was outputting RGB but sending the composite signal to the glasses. I would have bet money it wouldn't work with the Lido but you live and learn. I got full blown, full colour, image enhanced, working 3D.

I recommend the glasses to anyone. It is a lot of fun. The effect works best when things are moving slowly. It did occur to me that the doubler may interfere when things move fast but the computer animation on the DVDs doesn't seem to be motion blurred so you get a strobing effect anyway.

I would expect you to lose the effect of 3D when scanning fast forward of freezing frames (you do lose it) but I found that sometimes the effect doesn't come back when you start playing normally again. No problem, just pause and start again and it seems to kick back in. This I suspect does have something to do with the Lido or maybe the unit gets confused.

The best disk is the haunted house one. They're all rubbish for stories of course but HH gives some really amazing hovery objects slowly coming out of the screen and wintery leafless trees were just made for 3D.

Buy and enjoy.

I won't bother letting the LCD group know as this mini-review is based around my Barco CRT and I don't know if it would work with LCD projectors...

What I can say is use CRT for projecting piccies and only have LCD in yer 3D glasses. :D

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you own a pair of 3D specs with one red, one blue lens or polarised lenses, then using them to watch any moving image will appear to be 3D. It works well on tv but the 3D effect is not so obvious on static images unless the picture is exceptionally sharp. The BBC did an experiment using this method a few years ago and it was quite succesful although not very practical for obvious reasons.

3. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'cheat' glasses for 3d on any material have one dark and one light lens.

The brain processes darker images at a different speed to brighter images (can't remember which way round it was) and this gives 3d effects on horizontal pans - as long as the camera kept moving the effect was maintained, when it stopped the effect tended to disappear, but it did work!

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've found red wine can create a 3D effect every time.

(complete with constant panning)

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A sharp prod in the eye works for me!

6. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mere, there's more.

Having had a little time to play with the 3D box set I have discovered some more things. One is that one of the disks was just a dud pressing and a replacement is on order.

So my comments about losing the 3D are wrong. It was the disk stuttering because of a scratch. We all know that happens. When something as high precision as a DVD is mass produced there are bound to be occasional duds. I certainly wouldn't hold it against the box set producers. The 3-D effect is superb.

The other thing I found out is that because the originals were IMAX, they were designed to fill your field of view totally.

Therefore, viva eccentricity, you need to see these films on as big a screen as possible, as close as possible!!! I watched mine on a six foot wide screen from 4 feet away. OK, it wasn't the most detailed of images (even with a Lido) but sequences which didn't look very 3D before suddenly became so, like very fast roller coaster type shots, and out of screen effects which were a slight strain on the eye became comfortable to look at. The spectacle more than makes up for the lack of detail this close up.

You just have to get this thing. It is the best thing I have ever put on my screen. On the original IMAX it must have been incredible.

Roland, do you think it works because I only have a line doubler? Does that mean that I should never get a tripler? :eek:

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is this stiuff from? Was iut expensive?

8. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was 99 dollars from Amazon plus £16.04 customs charge.

For that I got two pairs of LCD shutter glasses, a magic black box that they plug into, some leads to connect your DVD and Projector TV ;) a useless American power supply which you will have to replace with a British 9V adaptor, 3 DVDs - each of which have their moments of 3-D bliss - and an instruction sheet.

Obviously they are region one but anyone who doesn't have a multiregion modification done to their DVD player has lost the plot anyway. :D

I'm not sure but I think that if I bought another set it should be possible to daisy chain the controllers to get four pairs of glasses going for more sociable viewing. There is a wireless variant too.

I am still amazed that this thing really works. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and does it well. I have already given my DVD of The Bubble away (red and blue anaglyph and no comparison.) I just knew I would never look at it ever again.

9. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I play DVD's through my PC and Projector, would it hook up to that or would I need to use a stand alone player?

What is it called? Is it mentioned in yourother thread?

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMAX is the ultimate cinema experience and IMAX 3D is the best 3D process I have seen. There are IMAX 3D cinemas in London, Dublin, Bristol, Manchester and Bradford.

11. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I don't know but you must have a composite output from the DVD source to go into the glasses convertor box. Also you have to have a phono connected to the convertor box's output. Maybe the electronics looks for that but once that phono was in I found that I could use the RGB direct from the Samsung 701 with my projector. The video on your screen must show fields for the system to work because one field is left eye and other is the right eye. How it does it in NTSC with all that drop field malarkey I don't know. All I can do is repeat what I said before: I didn't expect it to work with a line doubler but it did. I did have to fiddle about a bit at the beginning but once it is up and running it is worth it.

It is called something like "The Ultimate 3D Experience Box Set." I can't be bothered to go and fetch the box to get the exact title but just do a search for Imax DVDs on Amazon and sooner or later it'll pop up. It is the one with the "Haunted Castle" "Encounter in the Third Dimension" and "Alien Adventure" DVDs included. You can't miss it.

Anyone who gets it, do let us know what you think...

They ought to pay me for all this evangelising. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.