3d projectors

casebook2000

Standard Member
Hi

just looking at buying a projector and am tempted by 3d. Do 3d projectors use the same techno as tvs or do they use a different system? Reason for asking is there are very strong rumours that many people who watch 3d tv suffer from headaches.

Thanks

Dominic

chic

Distinguished Member
Hi

just looking at buying a projector and am tempted by 3d. Do 3d projectors use the same techno as tvs or do they use a different system? Reason for asking is there are very strong rumours that many people who watch 3d tv suffer from headaches.

Thanks

Dominic

most use an active 3d system like tvs, the only way to see if 3d is a problem is to have a demo, i dont get a headache with mine

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
the only way to see if 3d is a problem is to have a demo

Correct, but can you get a demo for long enough, say an hour?

I once bought a very expensive chair, which was very comfortable in the shop, but gave me back ache if I sat in it all day.

I can't imagine the salesman would have been happy for me to try it out for 8 hours! :eek:

winzentween

Novice Member
i have put alot of thought into it but i decided partly due to budget though a few 3d were within my range but the reason is im not going 3d now or poss later is that the eye strain is that much more severe and as a man of 30 who already is starting to wear glasses due to constant pc / video game use through most of my life I know that 3d will make the onset of deteriation through over use that much quicker....i dont know all the facts but i know 3d on a pc or a cinema or at home cinema always makes me get sore eyes within 30 mins :?

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
A lot of factors can cause eye strain that aren't releated to wearing dark 3D glasses, phyically you may have fluid flow problems with your eyes (I do, but you need to be tested to find out), you may stare more than you realise (common with monitor users and driving) so again impropper lubrication of your eyes, also common with projectors and more so with new 3D users is you spend a lot of time looking around the screen rather than at it trying to take everything in, lol my girlfriend used to fall asleep during movies due to this, tired herself out :)

Basicially you kinda have to train yourself to just look forward and blink a lot.

You may as well buy a 3D projector, most are 3D now and the prices are around the same, if it's not for you don't use it, but why limit yourself on a hunch?

winzentween

Novice Member
I have serious eye strain after years of use but the answer is easy.
Do you go to see 3d movies and watch them without any issue? Try watching 2 3d films back to back and then you will have an idea if it really effects you but ofcourse with games it will be alot more intensive but that also depends on the game as I nearly went blind on high detail pay attention games like Demon Souls with tiny stats and writing etc. but playing more skyrim i was ok. Depends on what kind of gamer you are too. It is common for me to spend up to 6-12hrs in a sitting depending on the game and that can really mess you up and in 3d it just compacts the issue. I presume you can turn it off so if you can afford HD 1080p and 3d then def. get it regardless of eye strain but if its a choice then choose which one you need more etc.

chrislaw1968

I once bought a very expensive chair, which was very comfortable in the shop, but gave me back ache if I sat in it all day.

I can't imagine the salesman would have been happy for me to try it out for 8 hours! :eek:[/QUOTE]

If you sit in your chair all day maybee you should change your user name ............ To lazy git:devil:

Only joking lol

winzentween

Novice Member
i am disabled dude in that i cant walk very far, so being room bound sitting and playing games is one of the few things i can do or reading or using the pc but they all cause eye strain :-/

chrislaw1968

That comment was in reply to tight gits post , but for some reason the quote thingy didn't work . It was just my attempt at a bit of tounge in cheek humour with no offence intended.

Chris

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If your worried about eyestrain when viewing 3D. The thing to do is look at the refresh rate (shutter speed) of the eyewear and projector.

Usually a TV's eyewear has a refresh rate of 120Hz,

Many projectors eyewear seems to be around 240Hz. Othes have a quicke refresh rates which range from 480Hz to 720Hz.

As far as I can see with projectors, you get less eyestrain that you get with a TV as the refresh rate (shutter speed) usually twice the speed. The environment also has a contributory factor as room is usually darker when we view a projector. This limits the surround light, which is where your eyes gain the strain from.

But also remember that everyone is different and demoing is still the best option.

I would agree an 8hr dem would be a killer dem and would beat my 5hr demo I did with an AVForums member sometime ago when he wished to carry out a shoot-out review for the AVForums on all our projectors. If you are bothered by this, then the simple rule is the quicker the refresh rate (shutter speed), the less eyestrain. 240Hz seems to be comfortable for most people, which means that almost every projector will be fine.

Regards, Shane.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
That comment was in reply to tight gits post , but for some reason the quote thingy didn't work . It was just my attempt at a bit of tounge in cheek humour with no offence intended.

None taken here either, Chris, although Mrs TG has already suggested I change my first name to "Old"! :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom