3D Projector - wait for them to improve further or should I jump in now?

plasma_novice

Established Member
Reaction score
I've resisted making the leap into 3D tech so far mainly for a couple of reasons 1) That home tech is still in its relative infancy in terms of 3D and 2) the lack of decent material, with a few exceptions like Avatar etc.

However, with projectors now coming into their 2nd/3rd generation for 3D with some marked improvements (Sony VW65 / JVC X30/X70 / BenQ 7000 / Epson 6000 etc.) and more stuff making it to the shelves in 3D (movies and games), I'm starting to think that it might be worth jumping in.

My current setup is a Panasonic 50" non-3D plasma which I don't intend to change and a Panasonic AX-100 projector (this would be changed) which I project onto a 92" screen in our lounge (white/light walls). Again, not planning to change the colour of walls/ceiling, so will have to keep those as they are.

So, the question on my mind at the moment is "Is 3D on the latest projectors (c. £1K to £3K range) sufficiently good to give that wow factor or will next years model give a significant improvement?"

Now I know that next years models always tend to be better/improved when it comes to tech, but the niggling question is whether there is still a lot of improvement to come that it might be worth waiting another year before jumping in. I'm not in a huge rush, hence happy to wait, but if things are really good already, then equally happy to jump in now.

I'll finish by staying that I'm very happy with the picture produced by both the tv and the projector (both have been ISF calibrated) and I also know that there is a lot of room for improvement on my projector given its now 'old tech' - so, what does everyone think?

Thanks

Jump, jump...... why wait and miss out on some great 3D action. Yes your probably correct that PJ's will get better and better over time, but as with all things new if you keep waiting for the next big thing you'll never buy.

I just don't fancy being too much of an early adopter.

If things are improving at a tremendous rate (which they seem to be with projectors from what I've read) will this years tech be truly out of date mid way through 2012?

Dont worry about the future m8 once you buy something its old just go for it and enjoy, lifes too short to wait around and if any new tech comes it will be in its infancy and your logic dictates you wait and its a never ending circle.
We all know higher resolution then 1080p is coming and glassesless 3D tvs but all at a premium and in its infancy so get your preferred PJ enjoy it for 5 years and then see where we are, just dont forget to start saving again!!!

When I can get an HD33 or equivalent with 4 pairs of glasses for less than £1000, I'll jump. It can't be too far off now, but I'm driven more by a fear of depreciation more than worrying about missing on the next great innovation.

It doesn't matter what you pay for your projector, you'll be lucky to get £300 for it 5 years down the line. I can justify taking a hit of £200 or so per year for the luxury of having a pj - I can't justify losing £500.

I don't think there'll be massive improvements in image quality over the next 18 months or so. If that's your main concern it's probably the right time to scratch that itch.

I'm not so bothered about the depreciation as I never seem to sell any of my kit off - it always seems to makes its way into a relatives house!

I'm more bothered about buying something today and then next year's model being a vast/huge improvement on this years tech, rather than just a little step improvement, and then needing (!) to upgrade. As you can see from my kit, I don't suffer too much from upgradeitis, but do want to be fairly up to date.

I am intending buying a 720p projector for gaming and sky hd as an intro to projectors, and if I get hooked and buy a better one in a years time I wont lose out too much as the one I intending buying is only £500 - £600 at the moment

I've already got a 720p projector and mainly use it for Blu-Ray films and a little bit of HD TV - really enjoy the big screen experience. I've got a 5 year old son who loves watching 3D films at the cinema, hence thinking about it for home - just want to make sure the tech is sufficiently mature before taking the leap

I think the first major upgrade has already taken place in the 3D world and that was the step away from IR glasses to bluetooth or RF.
I have had a plasma with IR glasses and then upgraded to bluetooth the difference was amazing for stability. I intend to get back into the PJ world within the next few months and my only concern is if I should have active or passive. My TV is active but I would like a passive PJ I think.

content is coming fast now and there are some big releases next year which I can't wait to see in my own cinema !

More than happy after upgrading from a infocus 7205 to an Epson Tw6000W. Great 3d, also no HDMI cable to worry about. Picked up some Panasonic 3rd gen glasses at a great price, that also work fantastically with this projector.

Cannot say if RF better than IR, but IR on this projector does not miss a beat. Another thing about this projector is the bright image, great for 3d and a non bat cave livingroom.

I've read in quite a few threads that 3D really dims down the picture. How much of a hinderance is this in reality, or do your eyes manage to adjust fine to the drop in brightness?

I've read in quite a few threads that 3D really dims down the picture. How much of a hinderance is this in reality, or do your eyes manage to adjust fine to the drop in brightness?

It isn't really a problem if the proj was designed with it in mind as you get extra brightness output in 3D, balences it out :)

What about Active vs Passive and Full HD 3D vs Half SBS? Starting to get confused the more I read!!

Is there a clear winner from the above and also is there a possibility of any of them becoming obsolete akin to how VHS won over Betamax or Blu-Ray won over HD-DVD for the younger ones reading this?

Finally are all of the above available on the projectors I mention in my first post?

You won't get passive with projection unless you set up a cinema type dual projector rig (as far as I know), most are active specs. Also passive on TVs work out at a lower resolution when displayed.

Full HD is what you get on Blu-ray, SBS is what Sky TV use and what most film rips are in, rips are less quality than BR as it is 2 films in one file basically (and normally fit on a (dual layer) DVD), but still good quality.

None will become obsolete as they all conform to a video format standard not a physical format standard.

Thanks ZedEx48K. What about there being some kind of standard being established for glasses during 2012? Will this have any impact on Active projectors or the current glasses? I read that there is incompatibility on quite a few TV's between last years glasses and the current ones - will the same stand true for the current crop of PJ's vs those due out post 'Glasses Standardisation'?

Epson projector glasses meet the m-3di standard, hence why the 3rd gen panasonic ones also work (also good news if you have a panasonic tv) So I guess if more manufacturers adopt this, then this would win overall. Not aware of any other standards appearing yet

you ought to have a demo of a Sony HW30 in 3d using either the new Sony or Xpand X104 glasses.

"how can it get better than this" is what I heard last week in our demo rooms.

And at its price point I don`t believe it can atm.

Allan

Hey Allan, I'm guessing you gave the various projectors a good workout over Christmas and took in a fair few movies - I have to say I'm jealous! Have you formed views on the HW30 v Epson 6000 v Epson 9000 by any chance?
I'm looking for great 2D but also great 3D, as it's really for the family and the kids will commandeer it I'm sure!

I might just have a look at the Sony HW30, although I must say that I'm really not a fan of Sony in general. In fact the only thing I can think of that bears the Sony logo in my whole house (which is full of tech & gadgets BTW!) is my PS3.

Does anyone know if the BenQ W7000 sells in the UK and whether it's called by another mode number over here? I'm off to New York in a couple of weeks so might try to have a demo of Sony vs BenQ vs Epson whilst there - might even bring one back with me if it's worth it. Any recommendations on what shops I could visit to get such a demo done?

Hey Allan, I'm guessing you gave the various projectors a good workout over Christmas and took in a fair few movies - I have to say I'm jealous! Have you formed views on the HW30 v Epson 6000 v Epson 9000 by any chance?
I'm looking for great 2D but also great 3D, as it's really for the family and the kids will commandeer it I'm sure!

between the 3 pj`s you have mentioned the Sony for me is the winner in the dark room we have here, hands down, especially for its 3d capabilities.

the 2D on the Sony is very good as well, that said the 9000`s black levels I feel are very nearly on par with its bigger older brother, the 5500 :thumbsup: and may even pip the Sony.

Where I feel the Epson will shine is its ability to perform better in a living room enviroment, ie: light bright decor, the 2400 lumens output will produce a more punchier image than either Sony or JVC for that matter, that coupled to a decent ambient light designed screen will be a winner for me.

I`ll admit I haven`t done much 3d with the Epson 9000 yet, I simply am non stop with demo`s at the moment so time is the key thing or the lack of it :D.

if the budget allows for either the Sony or Epson 9000 then forget the 6000, not that its not good, its the fact the others are simply better.

Don`t dismiss the JVC X30 either, its a corker.

Allan

Last edited:
Meanwhile, here in tightwad's corner... I've jumped.

Epson EH-TW6000. £1286.72 from oyyy.co.uk

Less 3% Quidco and factoring Epson's £100 cashback that's a net outlay of £1148.

If anyone can convince me I've made a mistake please let me know before it's too late to cancel. Ta!

Ideal AV said:
between the 3 pj`s you have mentioned the Sony for me is the winner in the dark room we have here, hands down, especially for its 3d capabilities.

the 2D on the Sony is very good as well, that said the 9000`s black levels I feel are very nearly on par with its bigger older brother, the 5500 :thumbsup: and may even pip the Sony.

Where I feel the Epson will shine is its ability to perform better in a living room enviroment, ie: light bright decor, the 2400 lumens output will produce a more punchier image than either Sony or JVC for that matter, that coupled to a decent ambient light designed screen will be a winner for me.

I`ll admit I haven`t done much 3d with the Epson 9000 yet, I simply am non stop with demo`s at the moment so time is the key thing or the lack of it :D.

if the budget allows for either the Sony or Epson 9000 then forget the 6000, not that its not good, its the fact the others are simply better.

Don`t dismiss the JVC X30 either, its a corker.

Allan

Well my living room is probably as far as you can get away from a 'bat cave' environment! Cream walls, white ceiling, cream carpet & sofa!! TBH it doesn't really bother me too much with my Panasonic AX100 - admittedly blacks are quite washed out (which is probably my biggest gripe) and contrast can be difficult in bright scenes with dark parts (think Harry Potter) but I am still pleased overall. As I said in my original post, I'm sure there's tonnes of room for improvement on offer from today's tech over my current setup, so confident that it would be quite a step up.

Allan - do I gather you're in the trade judging on your comments around demos etc? If so, where are you based as I would love the opportunity to do some side by side demos of the PJ's mentioned

Allan - do I gather you're in the trade judging on your comments around demos etc? If so, where are you based as I would love the opportunity to do some side by side demos of the PJ's mentioned

check my signature :D

the fact that i`m an assured advertiser and all the details to contact me for a demo and see my website haven`t clicked then :devil:.

Ideal AV said:
check my signature :D

the fact that i`m an assured advertiser and all the details to contact me for a demo and see my website haven`t clicked then :devil:.

I'm posting from my iPad so signatures don't appear otherwise it would have been a proper Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom