3D projector solution???

levan bakhia

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need help.

As 3D television is a new trend, I want to set up a 3D home theatre. I look at some projectors, that claim to be 3D capable, but what exactly does it mean?

here is the list 3D Compatible Projectors

so does it mean, that if I have a blueray that supports 3D, I can use this projectors to view 3D, or do I need any other devices to complement the projector, or a separate lense, or a polirized 3D system.

Also, I need polirized system, not shutter glass, so what solution should I look at?

sorry if this was covered already, I just could not find it.

similar sentiments, would like to see if projector is best way to get my 3d fix seen as though i got a new tv last month.

not sure about how they're gonna be marketing it coz the general consensus so far seems to be 3dtv is the way forward.

any one with info would be appreciated.

I thinck many people are being misled at the moment as I understand it all the projectors described as "3d ready" are only compatible with 3d games and none with the sky 3d channel. Manufacturers have said they are working on it with an attatchment making these 3d ready projectors compatible with sky but have heard no news on release date, what is wanted and will no doubt follow is a new projector with this attatchment built in, if you hear of one let us know.

misleading is the word alright

ive been checkin the optoma hd 66 out and its described as 3d ready with no clear cut wording as to what glasses they recommend, and im wondering if its only compatible with a PC running 3d software at the mo

i need something for 3d gaming and the odd 3d blu ray and jus to keep up with the technical jones's

misleading is the word alright

ive been checkin the optoma hd 66 out and its described as 3d ready with no clear cut wording as to what glasses they recommend, and im wondering if its only compatible with a PC running 3d software at the mo

i need something for 3d gaming and the odd 3d blu ray and jus to keep up with the technical jones's

You are right mate you need a PC for these to run 3D games using and Nvidia 3D graphics card and Nvidia glasses. This is quite common knowlegde if you do a modicum of research.

As regards 3D films and Sky 3D we do need a hardware add on for these. At the moment for the 3D gaming the PC does the processing, with 3D TV's the processor is built in. So we would need some form of processor and still this might now make them compatable, we will have to see.

There is a full 3D capable projector available but it is 10 grand!!! I think it is an LG but not sure for definite?

yeah ive read about the nvidea route for my htpc which needs upgrading but id rather jus hav a simple outta the box solution for the ps3 when it gets 3d support

but 10 grand is 10 grand.

theres a saying in urdu about how in the case of 'xyz' the moustache would outgrow the beard. this really is one of those situations

suddenly 2 thousand for a samsung tv doesnt seem steep anymore

sohail I genuinely believe that 3D will look better on a PJ rather than a TV but it is all about the money. The manufacturers do not want to release both TV and PJ's together because everyone would just get the PJ's(cheaper for a bigger diagonal) and the TV's would go relatively unsold. But the way they are doing it they will sell loads of TV's then release the PJ's. Or is it just me being cynical!!

well i actually have 10 grand, but what projector are we talking about? to receive sky?

as i understand sky box has hdmi 1.4 output for 3d, this is whatnthose 3d ready projectors are lacking. is there a third party solution to turn hdmi 1.4 into whatever this projectors require?

The only 3D projector system I'm aware of currently that will work with both 3D TV and 3D HD bluray is the dual lens addon system for Sony's 4K projectors and they are meant as comercial or proper cinema systems (I think the lens addon is £60,000, or is that the projector, either way it's ultra deep pockets or footballers only territory in terms of cost). It uses the non 3D 4K projector and uses the top half of the frame for one image and the bottom half for the other and the dual lens setup to show the alternate images.
Here Sony : 3D on the 4K projector : United Kingdom
& Sony : Single-projector 3D adaptor announced : United Kingdom

I to am waiting on a 3D home projector, I got a top of the range 2D TV a year or so ago and with no plans to replace it but plans to add a PJ I've been waiting to kill two birds with the one stone

Last edited:
yeah i hope its better via projector seen as tho ive been after a decent 1080p one for a while and thought may as well wait and bag a 3d ready 1

i think the 3d ready tag will be thrown around like the phrase HD READY was over 5 year ago. they slapped that tag on anythng with a plug

lets just wait and see what the concensus is around xmas time

it could be that the various problems render 3d useless by this time next year (high cost for 3d rendering of movies, eye strain, cost of production, hdmi handshake problems etc)

I think the big issue will be content, look at the way 3D is being slapped onto every movie being shot lately (even those not shot in 3D). The Clash of the Titans remake was not shot in 3D but made 3D in post production via computer processing and with everyone trying to cash in you can bet the standards are going to be dire on a lot of it.

Plus the article I remenber reading by some industry experts that put the price point of a movie on 3D HD Blu-ray at £50.00:eek:

well i actually have 10 grand, but what projector are we talking about? to receive sky?

as i understand sky box has hdmi 1.4 output for 3d, this is whatnthose 3d ready projectors are lacking. is there a third party solution to turn hdmi 1.4 into whatever this projectors require?
I believe from other contributers on here that sky is not 'hdmi 4' neither is PS3 this is why the standards did not require 1.4 to run 3D because of the massive influence of Sony and Sky. What HDMI 4 has is the ability to allow 2 way, able to 'switch' 3D! Hdmi 1.4 is only required to receive 1080p per eye 3D. But somebody else could probably explain it better. I will check to see if I can find the link for that PJ!

No the Sky box is NOT 1.4, I think it's 1.1 (if I remember right, not even 1.1a). The Sky 3D system doesn't need 1.4, it is not full HD 3D, it's a HD signal, but just a standard 1920x1080 50i feed with the two images in a horizontally squeezed side by side format, you can even view the picture as a side by side image on any current 2D TV with a HDMI input. It relies on the 3D TV to recieve and process this image into 3D with whatever system it's using, passive or active, indeed becasue the box is only 1.1 it may need the TV to be manually switched to 3D mode.

The system for full HD 3D on blu-ray is different and uses the sequential full HD image approach and needs 1.4. At least that's my understanding.

The PS3 is HDMI 1.4 once it's firmware has been updated. It wasn't at release but that's one adavantage of having vastly more programable platform than a simple BD player.

Last edited:
It is a shame that there are no 3d projectors compatible with sky3d.
I have a H5360 720p and the 3d effect compared to my lcd 24" 1080p is far better, it has a fraction of the crosstalk, and in my opinion the size is so much more impressive in 3d than 2d.
So at the moment i can play blu rays and play games via the pc. I cannot use sky3d and keep hearing about something in the works to synch the projectors but havent heard any info. I cannot use ps3 3d games either.
Someone on a different forum claims they have 3dtv working through their pc using a capture card, then streaming the live feed to the nvidia 3d vision player.
Anyone got any info about the "something in the works" that may synch my projector with sky3d, ps3?

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

so as i understand now, those 3d ready projectors, are only capable of doing 3d from a computer, so ismthere a way to plug projector to a computer and recieve sky from computer?

or what about splitting sky signal intontwo separate frames, and sending each frame to two separate projectors, and those projectors, have the polirized filters and align properly. is that possible? arenthere thismkind of splitters available?

I think the big issue will be content, look at the way 3D is being slapped onto every movie being shot lately (even those not shot in 3D). The Clash of the Titans remake was not shot in 3D but made 3D in post production via computer processing and with everyone trying to cash in you can bet the standards are going to be dire on a lot of it.

Plus the article I remenber reading by some industry experts that put the price point of a movie on 3D HD Blu-ray at £50.00:eek:

exactly, check item 200485883861 on that well known auction site.

£60 quid for a blu ray i bought for tenner on normal blu ray :eek:

reason? its 3d and soon to become Out of print.

The LG CF3D is the $10K mentioned earlier in this thread. It went on sale this week in Korea and I can't find any details of a release date for the U.K. It is Full HD 1080p as opposed to the gaming 3d projectors which I believe are 720P.

A Google search estimates prices as "low" as 8000 Euros to £12000 ex VAT. LG claim it is compatible with Sky HD.

Thanks mate thats the one, hadn't got round to looking for it(I saw it in what hifi or home cinema mag) as I have been making the most of the sun ;)

i think the 3d ready tag will be thrown around like the phrase HD READY was over 5 year ago. they slapped that tag on anythng with a plug

QUOTE]

Yeah I know, I've got a 3 year old, "HD Ready" toaster in the kitchen. What a waste of money that was...:D

so as i understand now, those 3d ready projectors, are only capable of doing 3d from a computer, so ismthere a way to plug projector to a computer and recieve sky from computer?

or what about splitting sky signal intontwo separate frames, and sending each frame to two separate projectors, and those projectors, have the polirized filters and align properly. is that possible? arenthere thismkind of splitters available?

Hi,

I have heard of people using a capture card on their computers. They plug the sky box into the card, stream the signal to the nvidia 3d vision player. I haven't got a card so i cannot test to see for myself.

Phil.

Hi,

I have heard of people using a capture card on their computers. They plug the sky box into the card, stream the signal to the nvidia 3d vision player. I haven't got a card so i cannot test to see for myself.

Phil.

anny details of the card?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom