3D Projector Help - Which one and WHY?

What's the best all purpose home theater projector type?

• Total voters

akesseler86

Novice Member
Reaction score
Preface: My super-trusty-excellent-for-4-years Optoma HD20 finally reached the end of its life (I accidentally fried the circuit board when attempting to troubleshoot what turned out to be a bad power supply). <Side note: I now have a plethora of HD20 OEM spare parts that I would like to sell, including a brand new bulb with less than a hundred hours on it. If you are interested in the purchase of, or have information concerning the best way for me to try and sell them, please let me know!> I have done about 10 hours of research (on this site and others) concerning 3D projectors. This search answered some questions while leaving me with others.

My Setup: I have a dedicated media room that can be completely blacked out, and usually is, with an 84" cinegray screen. My wife and I use our projector for pretty much everyrhing: TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Blu Ray via our PS3 as well as PS3/Wii gaming etc. I have. 5.1 surround sound setup using a Yamaha RX-V671 Receiver. As for mounting, I have a 3 point pivoting ceiling mount so basic digital lens shift features are sufficient) I would like whatever 3D projector we purchase to be as future proof as possible for our budget specifically concerning the image quality and 3D technology (frame rate, motion blur, glasses tech, 2k/4k etc.)

From my initial research, the Optoma HD25-LV (about $1000) and the BenQ W1070 (about $800) look very comparable in quality and features. Although the Optoma features a much brighter bulb which would be great for our darker screen and lights-on-viewing. Also I theorize that the brighter bulb could spend most of its time in eco mode and still be plenty bright, potentially increasing it's color accurate life span. Both will play all formats of native 3D content, however neither one includes the ability to convert native 2D content to 3D.

A bit higher on the MSRP spectrum is the BenQ W1500 (about $1300) the biggest feature for me that this one has over the other two is the built in 2D to 3D conversion. (I really don't care about the wireless streaming at this point since I already have a 35' HDMI cable ran from my receiver to the projector). All three are DLP projectors and would not require an emitter. As for glasses, based on reading several thorough reviews these are rated up to 144hz and give a very satisfying experience for the non-enthuist average viewer and come at a great price, about $30 each. Ideally I would like to own a 4K projector (who wouldn't?!) since that will soon be the norm, but unless you guys know something I don't, those projectors are a few thousand dollars out of my price range at this point.

For your consideration and response:
-How does the quality of converted 2D content compare to native 3D content and is it good enough to justify the additional $300 expense?
-What are your thoughts/opinions/experiences/concerns with the projectors mentioned above?
-Are there other options that I should be considering and why? (Please explain why the suggested option would be better)

The more thorough and detailed your response, the better. I really appreciate the time it takes to write a thorough response and I want to really understand this technology, it's features and why any one thing is better than another.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
3D is dead, didn't anyone tell you ;-) If you don't see rainbows dlp is probably the cheapest way into 3d. I've owned both dlp and lcd pj's and dlp has the edge for 3D material for me. Forget 4k at the prices you're taking about. As you quoting in dollars I'm guessing your from the USA? If so you may have better luck on AVSforum as they will know about pj's not available in the UK.
Good luck.

3D is dead, didn't anyone tell you ;-) If you don't see rainbows dlp is probably the cheapest way into 3d. I've owned both dlp and lcd pj's and dlp has the edge for 3D material for me. Forget 4k at the prices you're taking about. As you quoting in dollars I'm guessing your from the USA? If so you may have better luck on AVSforum as they will know about pj's not available in the UK.
Good luck.

Thank you for your input! Will you elaborate on why you say that 3D is dead? Is the industry going to discontinue creation and support of the 3D format in the near future?

;-) = sarcasm

IMO I don't think 3D has taken off in the home like the manufactures expected. I love 3D when its done well, its just to many conversions were pumped out that left audiences feeling ripped off or ill. I've seen a lot of 3D at home, both full HD blu-rays and SBS files and while some were very good most added very little to the film. I have now pretty much given up on 3D and only ever put it on when demoing my HC or for the rare film that had good 3D reviews. Its still amazing though that we even have this technology in the home at unbelievable prices. Who would have thought just a few years back that we would now have 1080p 3D pj's for under £600, quite remarkable.

;-) = sarcasm

IMO I don't think 3D has taken off in the home like the manufactures expected. I love 3D when its done well, its just to many conversions were pumped out that left audiences feeling ripped off or ill. I've seen a lot of 3D at home, both full HD blu-rays and SBS files and while some were very good most added very little to the film. I have now pretty much given up on 3D and only ever put it on when demoing my HC or for the rare film that had good 3D reviews. Its still amazing though that we even have this technology in the home at unbelievable prices. Who would have thought just a few years back that we would now have 1080p 3D pj's for under £600, quite remarkable.

Thanks for clarifying and for elaborating! Yea no kidding about the prices, when I bought my Optoma HD20 four years ago I paid $999 and it was the first 1080p projector under $1,000 at the time. I did a major double take when I started researching a new projector a few weeks ago lol. On that note, since the prices have dropped so dramatically, how likely do you think that a 4K pj will be available for under $1500 by the end of the year? Also, when you are taking about 3D quality, is it a good rule of thumb to believe that all movies that were originally filmed in 3D (Avatar for example) will give the best and most enjoyable at home 3D DLP projector experience especially when watched on a 3D Blu Ray?

On that note, since the prices have dropped so dramatically, how likely do you think that a 4K pj will be available for under $1500 by the end of the year? Also, when you are taking about 3D quality, is it a good rule of thumb to believe that all movies that were originally filmed in 3D (Avatar for example) will give the best and most enjoyable at home 3D DLP projector experience especially when watched on a 3D Blu Ray?

4K under $1500 by end of year.......not a cat in hells chance (imo). Its mainly the lenses that are so expensive to produce at present.

If films are shot in 3D (not post converted) then yes they give a much better 3D experience on blu-ray IMO.

If you end up getting a 3D pj check out "3d chainsaw" on youtube, not brill PQ but just shows what can be done. I defy you not to move :D

4K under $1500 by end of year.......not a cat in hells chance (imo). Its mainly the lenses that are so expensive to produce at present.

If films are shot in 3D (not post converted) then yes they give a much better 3D experience on blu-ray IMO.

If you end up getting a 3D pj check out "3d chainsaw" on youtube, not brill PQ but just shows what can be done. I defy you not to move :D

Thanks for all your help, I'm looking forward to checking out that chainsaw video ;)

how can I play this clip to my 3d pj? my macbook or apple tv does not o/p 3d does it?
kc
The youtube clip is a SBS file so just turn 3D on your PJ and your all set.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom