3D projection, curved screen, dedicated room!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by emporer, Jan 4, 2012.

1. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    OK, my plan this year is a dedicated room, roughly 5.5m x 3.5m, total batcave with no windows. Now i'm leaning towards something like the Optoma HD83, but i'm also considering a curved screen, I will have the luxury of being able to use a fixed screen so curved makes sense, does anyone use one? I'm mainly wondering how they are with 3d active shutter stuff. Also looking at the curvatures with these and the standard seems to be something called 40ft curve, can anyone enlighten me with more details.

I'm having the pj about 18ft from the screen so am hoping it will be ok with a 2.8m curved screen.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    So are you thinking of going with an anamorphic lens as well?

if so its my understanding that a curved screen will help with the pin cushioning effect that some lenses may produce.

If not using a lens then why would you want a curved screen ? so do let us know a bit more.

Also is this a 16.9 or 2.35 screen you are talking about, if its 2.35 will the Optoma work with 3d in 2.35?

Allan :smashin:

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I'll be going 16:9 as its better for most 3D material, I know it helps with the pincussion effect introduced by anamorphic lenses but i've read that a curved screen has an encompassing effect on the viewer, i'm not after a huge dome like screen but I have seen a large Sim2 curved screen in action and it looked lovely, pretty sure it was 16:9.

Not sure how it would look to be honest but i'm just wanting to know if it would work ok with my requirements, not sure if i'd get any issues with distorted images and such.

I'm just hunting for views and ideas on this really.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Only if it is so large that you can sit with it "wrapped around" you, filling your field of view.

So, unless you are intending to create a home Imax, ask yourself why curved screens account for <1% of the domestic market.

5. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    i`m not doubting you at all but its my understanding that curved screens are usually associated with anamorphic projection, usually 2.35-2.37-2.40:1 ratio screens.

I have yet to see a 16.9 curved screen so cannot tell you of the benefits if any it may give you.

i`m thinking a curved screen used without a lens will be overscanned at the sides if the center of the screen is correctly zoomed with the pj`s lens.

but i`m open to learning so if anyone out there has comments please lets have them :smashin:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I'm not looking at something all encompassing to wrap around, but the ones ive seen are slightly curved, here is a link to what I was looking at - CyberSelect | Beamax A-Velvet Curved screen

Just a gentle curve, and obviously works well with anamorphic stuff but its the 16:9 and 3D is what i'm interested in seeing on a curved screen, they do them in 16:9 so there must be a market for them.

7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    i`m struggling to find a 16.9:1 curved screen, can you post a link

the one posted is a scope screen 2.35:1

8. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
  9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    It would be interesting to hear from Otto about how many of these curved screens he sells, although I appreciate it might be commercially sensitive information.

(Incidentally, I know it's a bit late in the day, but shouldn't this thread be in the screens section?)

10. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    far too sensitive ;)

11. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I actually meant the ratio of curved to flat sales, not specific numbers.

My figure of <1% curved back in Post#4 was a complete guess, although I'd be surprised if it's any higher.

Unless, of course, you know different... :)

12. leob

leob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Why don't you use a curved screen with 2 projectors, running with blending software?
    That is the geek dream of mine. 140degrees of sheer gaming or movie joy!

13. Normal Bias

Normal Bias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :lesson: The lens of a projector is designed for a flat screen. If you use a curved screen, the corners will be out of focus relative to the centre, unless you buy a PJ/lens designed for such an application.

14. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I think this will need more investigating really, alot of info seems to suggest it being ok under normal conditions, I suppose because the curve is very slight and not anything like a wrap around thing.

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    With 16:9 images you can hide the barrel distortion the screen will generate using some zoom overscan, but if you watch larger ratios such as 2.40:1 movies (which have black bars above and below), the curve will be very visible - the image will be noticeable taller in the middle and get smaller towards the sides.

One way to ensure the barrell distortion isn't visible, is to go for a 2.35 screen, and move your seating closer so that the image height to seating distance is the same as it would have been for a 16:9 screen. That way, your 16:9 images will encompass the same field of view as your 16:9 screen would have, but 2.35 movies will be the same height, only wider. It will require a pj with a zoom range of 1.33 or greater (or an anamorphic lens).

Gary

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012