3D proj: JVC X5000 versus Epson EH-TW9400

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Yes - JVC is an hour away - could see tonight. Haven't asked about Epson but it's over an hour away in the other direction.
There's a bigger chance the X5000 will be calibrated because their owners are more inclined to get this done, take a note of the equipment used especially if they are using MadVR because it's one thing that many claim is needed for the older JVCs to perform well with HDR. It's more expense as you need a PC with decent graphic card etc to run the software but it's meant to be worth it and would benefit both but especially so the JVC as it's less capable on it's own, the Epson on the other hand can be paired with the Panasonic UB420 bluray player (£200) and produce quite amazing HDR results.

One thing I would say is either you will be blown away with and enjoy many, many immersive hours watching movies.

Blagmeister

Had a quick scan of your thread. Fantastic room. Clearly, you are very happy with the TW-9400 - great results. I'd be pairing with my Oppo BDP-203. Epson seems like it could be the simpler choice.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Had a quick scan of your thread. Fantastic room. Clearly, you are very happy with the TW-9400 - great results. I'd be pairing with my Oppo BDP-203. Epson seems like it could be the simpler choice.

All I know is that from my own experience the Epson is very simple to get a really good HDR image from when paired with the Panasonic and YES I am very happy with my setup, I have been debating for long enough whether to spend big and upgrade to either the N5 or N7 and every time I watch something on my screen it continues to blow me away (a common remark you will hear from the 9400 owners) that I just don't feel I'd be getting value for money with the switch.

Total expense of the self adhesive flock to do everywhere up to about 9 foot out for the screen wall was £225 and it's totally black in there. Probably the best money spent followed by getting the projector calibrated, after that it would be the grey screen.

Last edited:

Tolq

Fwiw, I wouldn't get too hung up on the lumens number on the X5000 (1700 lumens). I just changed from a 2400 lumens Epson TW8100 to an X5000, and at close to 1700 hours it is plenty bright and punchy on low lamp life in my regular living room with white walls (120" React 3.0 screen).

Stridsvognen

So I have the opportunity to choose between a JVC x5000 and a Epson TW-9400

Both second-hand, but the Epson still has some warranty. Usage will be mainly movies from 4K Blu-ray and Apple TV - occasional 3D Blu-ray. Small room - 2.5m x4.5m (converted single garage - see pic). Small window - will have a black-out blind.

I’ve gone through the thread but it’s done my head in! Still can’t decide. Any straightforward input appreciated.
I cant see the JVC work in that room, it will be way to bright on any screen and throw distance you can fit in there.

Stridsvognen

Too bright? That's a first for a JVC!!!!

Can you not just close down the iris as you do on the Epson?
On the 5000 series you have a limited range, on a neutral gain 110" you will get around 18fl in low lamp fully closed iris with a short throw. so if you want a reference 12-16fl calibration your out of range, its a common issue that people dont understand that the 5000 series is best for bigger screens, and the 7000-9000 is better for smaler screens.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom