3D problem, advice please...

Meee32

Novice Member
Reaction score
Okay so my equipment is a ps4 for source, going through an ONKYO TX-NR626 amp and then the amp into an optoma hd25e projector.

I can't seem to get 3D to work at all, now I know I can see 3D as I have seen it in other sets etc. I've tried googling and there is so many things it could be I wondered if maybe someone could help me get to the bottom of it. Let me just give a quick rundown of what I have tried and the results.

3D on "auto" = Nothing happens, the glasses don't sync and so obviously no 3D.

3D on "SBS" (side by side I imagine) = shows me a split image but split way too far, the glasses sync though and you get a slight 3D effect or feeling but obviously it isn't right.

3D on "Top and bottom" = same deal as SBS

3D on "Frame Sequencial" Glasses sync but there is major judder and no 3D effect to speak of.

I have it set on "VESA 3D", DLP link I read is for another type of shutter glasses.

I think it could be the amp you know, I tried it without the amp and then I didn't get the judder but really there was no 3D effect, I was like really trying to see one, maybe even imagining one a little lmao.

The only thread for 3D I could find for this projector was of a guy saying how easy it was and that it "just worked" and it was amazing etc... Oh man, I hated that guy... lol (Not really :) )

I think the projector could just have been faulty maybe, I dunno, the gutting thing is my son dropped it since and so can't even really take it back, proper gutted about that. :(

But anyway it did all this before being dropped, so obviously not that, he only 2 so it didn't drop far, anyway I'm rambling, can anyone offer some help here?

Thanks in advance.

Oh also I am thinking maybe it is my HDMI cables? I am a bit of a tight arse and go for cheaper cables, could that be it? Do I need a particular type of HDMI cable etc? It was something I thought could be possible anyway.

What are you trying to use on the ps4. Is it blu ray or games?
As i dont think 3d blu ray is supported yet.
I would think the problem is the source as even if the glasses dont sync you would be able to tell if the projector was showing a 3d image (colour tint changes, blurring etc)

Well just read a thread on the HDMI subject, they say it isn't that as you can use any HDMI so hmmm.

It is a 3D blu ray yeah, wow the PS4 doesn't support 3D yet? lol That could explain a lot! Let me break out the PS3. Thanks a lot

As far as i'm aware it will be coming later this year on a firmware update. Your cables should be fine.

Oh while your here, when I use the PS3, it should work on auto even I assume?

Thanks Gav you saved me a major headache and I feel like a proper durp! lol I never even considered that being the case, I just assumed it would be out of the box. Silly me! I gotta try dig that PS3 out now

Okay mate, thanks again, I'll come back in about 20 minutes and let you know how it goes. :)

Well, I get the PS3 out only to remember why it was shoved away in the first place, my littlen shoving things in the slot, it wasn't so bad as the PS3 had been taken apart before anyway to clean the lens, but the clip that holds the ribbon for the drive broke :( I got the thing out that he put in there but there was the tiniest plastic clasp on the side that broke off this time. I has a go a taping it down but no dice, I reckon I still can bodge it, maybe I could even just get a new drive now fairly cheap. When I say new I mean to me, lol.

In the meantime I thought I could turn to my PC and try it out that way, so I will try that now, if I can find some 3D sources, I have a 7970 GPU so that side is covered, I think....

Hmmm well seems like doing that won't be so easy either, I read about HD3D but can't even find a download for it, maybe you don't need that anymore, I'm not sure. But wow, 3D isn't very user friendly yet is it lol

Hmmm, But I really shouldn't need to should I? I have 3 pieces of hardware that are 3D ready lol

I have downloaded tridef, not having much joy with that although it was a bit better, when it first starts up it recommends side by side, so I chose that, and then put the projector to side by side and hey presto they got a lot closer, but still not quite close enough.

I'll keep fiddling though. When on the images if I used the image shift I could fix it on that image, and it worked, but the bottom part with the settings were not effected. I don't even see any options when tridef is loaded, pretty much sucks lol

I wonder, when in 3D maybe I need to adjust the focus? Maybe that is why they are a little bit off?

Just a quick update, I had some success! But via my PC, thank god I went AMD! :) The 3D needs some tweaking still, as I get some chosting I think you would call it but I think it is a bit too bad sometimes, other times it is great though, when it is great oh boy is it great! at 120" too just jaw dropping! This is just the 3D pictures lol

Any way, chuffed to finally actually see something in 3D! WOW haha

Just watched my first 3D movie with it, eyes feel a bit funny after but didn't feel any discomfort while watching, the picture was really good, there was some slight ghosting but it didn't bother me too much. All in all really pleased with it. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom