3D + Panasonic Plasma

Mayfair2011

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Firstly I have posted this in 3D TV Technology and Plasma TV's section as I'm not sure what section would be best? If this is wrong, Please delete this thread.

Just recently bought a new TV (Panasonic TX-P42ST30) and got a couple of pairs of 3D glasses on Friday. I never tried out 3D and watch my first 3D movie last night and I must say it was very good!

Although I'm a little concerned, When I took off the glasses I noticed the movie was very very bright and I'm wondering would this be a problem on a plasma screen (image retention / burn-in) Since I've noticed from reading around to avoid high brightness / contrast on Plasma's.

So would watching 3D movies cause a problem since they are very very bright, If you look without the glasses on.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hello all,

Firstly I have posted this in 3D TV Technology and Plasma TV's section as I'm not sure what section would be best? If this is wrong, Please delete this thread.

Just recently bought a new TV (Panasonic TX-P42ST30) and got a couple of pairs of 3D glasses on Friday. I never tried out 3D and watch my first 3D movie last night and I must say it was very good!

Although I'm a little concerned, When I took off the glasses I noticed the movie was very very bright and I'm wondering would this be a problem on a plasma screen (image retention / burn-in) Since I've noticed from reading around to avoid high brightness / contrast on Plasma's.

So would watching 3D movies cause a problem since they are very very bright, If you look without the glasses on.

Many thanks!

Have you seen any IR? I think its mostly the brighness thats increased(not 100% on this) contrast is the issue with IR, contrast controls the white level, the brighter part of the image, where as the brightness controls the black level. Making the screen brighter overall shouldn't increase IR, IR occurs with images of a high contrast, so like white on black(extream example) if some pixels are being lit very bright whilst others not so, you will see a ghost of the brighter pixels. Maybe a more knowledgeable member can explain better Im a bit under the weather at the mo. I dont have any problem with 3D and IR on my GT30.

Have you seen any IR? I think its mostly the brighness thats increased(not 100% on this) contrast is the issue with IR, contrast controls the white level, the brighter part of the image, where as the brightness controls the black level. Making the screen brighter overall shouldn't increase IR, IR occurs with images of a high contrast, so like white on black(extream example) if some pixels are being lit very bright whilst others not so, you will see a ghost of the brighter pixels. Maybe a more knowledgeable member can explain better Im a bit under the weather at the mo. I dont have any problem with 3D and IR on my GT30.

Oh i see.. I just noticed when I took my glasses off it was awfully bright, That's what caused my concerns.

I haven't noticed any yet, But I haven't really looked for it. I will look for it and let you know if I find anything.

Many thanks for your reply Scooby2000.

Oh i see.. I just noticed when I took my glasses off it was awfully bright, That's what caused my concerns.

I haven't noticed any yet, But I haven't really looked for it. I will look for it and let you know if I find anything.

Many thanks for your reply Scooby2000.

Dont go looking too hard;) you likely will have some but normal IR goes very quick without issue so dont worry. If you do see some just watch some normal stuff for a bit or use the scrolling bar.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom