1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D on a home projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JiveTalker, Oct 17, 2005.

1. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since a recent visit to an IMAX cinema I've been curious about whether it would be possible to project a 3D movie at home using an LCD or DLP projector?

I don't know whether the two images from an IMAX 3D projection are from one film reel through the same lense or not, does anybody on here know? If it is done this way then presumably all that would be required are the special glasses?

2. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    AFAIK, 3D cinema is done with two projectors projecting an image onto the same screen, one for each eye. There is a polarising filter on each projector and a corresponding polarised lens for each eye in the glasses, which means you see the image from projector 1 in your left eye and the image from projector 2 in your right eye. The screen also has to be silvered to maintain the polarity.

I doubt it could be achived with two LCD projectors, since the light is already polarised for each of the RGB panels. Don't know about DLP.

3. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a shame, maybe one day we'll have high def 3D at home ...

4. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've found a single lens DLP that can do this:

http://www.cwonline.com/store/view_product.asp?Product=1286

Mind you, the rainbow effect has a VERY bad effect on me so I doubt that I could watch this thing! :(

5. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cool.

That one uses 'shutter' glasses, I think, which are very expensive. No need for the silvered screen, though.

6. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a look at colorcode 3d website i have bought 3d films from them and with the glassess they work quite well on my pta 100

7. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pair of 3D shutter glasses from a while back, I think they were around £50.

I haven't got around to trying them with my DLP yet. The glasses don't work at all with LCD monitors apparently, for whatever that's worth.

The only problem is that the effective refresh rate is halved, and as I'm using DVI-HDMI I can't go above 60Hz, which means 30Hz effective.

Still, worth seeing it even if it's not particularly useable :)