3D Olympics quality

loz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought the opening ceremony was OK, but just watching the gymnastics and the picture is disappointingly soft. I realise it isn't full HD, but it looks more like SD.

Thought the opening ceremony was OK, but just watching the gymnastics and the picture is disappointingly soft. I realise it isn't full HD, but it looks more like SD.
Where are you watching this :confused:

The use of SBS is probably not the best format to use for broadcast but even so I'm sure I've watched plenty of SBS that looked a little sharper (purely subjective of course).

Where are you watching this :confused:

The use of SBS is probably not the best format to use for broadcast but even so I'm sure I've watched plenty of SBS that looked a little sharper (purely subjective of course).

Sky 217

Sorry, assumed you were watching FreeView. :facepalm:

If it's not as good as the opening ceremony then it's difficult to see how it can be anything but a Sky issue in that case.

Sorry, assumed you were watching FreeView. :facepalm:

If it's not as good as the opening ceremony then it's difficult to see how it can be anything but a Sky issue in that case.

Well I don't think it is a "sky" issue, seeing as the broadcaster is Eurosport and OBS is providing the feed. :)

Eurosport HD is usually the highest quality - but they can only be as good as the feeds they get. So more an issue with OBS perhaps.

But OBS provided the opening ceremony 3D feed to Eurosport and BBC too and there wasnt such a problem with that - I compared BBC and Eurosport and they were identical.

Perhaps it was just this particular event.

Well I don't think it is a "sky" issue, seeing as the broadcaster is Eurosport and OBS is providing the feed. :)

Eurosport HD is usually the highest quality - but they can only be as good as the feeds they get. So more an issue with OBS perhaps.

But OBS provided the opening ceremony 3D feed to Eurosport and BBC too and there wasnt such a problem with that - I compared BBC and Eurosport and they were identical.

Perhaps it was just this particular event.

Just put a bit of swimming on. Disappointing. Camera too low most of the time and no overlaid graphics on the lanes at the start and finish.

Picture quality was fine though.

Watched the highlights programme on sky 3D and that was generally better overall.

I've got to say I'm watching the highlights programme every night on freeview HD and I'm also dissapointed with the SBS 3D quality...

There is a noticeable drop in resolution compared to other SBS pictures I've seen from the BBC :(.

I don't know much about these things, but maybe the BBC is simply presenting this programme with a reduced bitrate/ smaller bandwidth allocation? :confused:

Well it is exactly the same quality on Sky/Eurosport 3D too.
So I can only guess that any quality issues are with the source that both BBC and Sky/Eurosport are given as they are identical.
It really is very soft at times.

Well it is exactly the same quality on Sky/Eurosport 3D too.
So I can only guess that any quality issues are with the source that both BBC and Sky/Eurosport are given as they are identical.

It's a real shame. The Olympics is such a good platform to showcase 3D, yet the current broadcast resolution is certainly below-par on my 51' Samsung. :thumbsdow

You can see the difference between the intro (and ending) sequences which suggests it is indeed a source limitation rather than broadcast.

Pretty sure my little Sony Bloggie could do as good a job for many of the shots - although not a lot of use underwater ;)

You can see the difference between the intro (and ending) sequences which suggests it is indeed a source limitation rather than broadcast.

Pretty sure my little Sony Bloggie could do as good a job for many of the shots - although not a lot of use underwater ;)

Yes. The source is clearly the problem.

I can't say it with 100% authority, but it seems the indoor stuff has been poorer than the outdoor stuff.
The Canoe Slathom is very good in 3D. But the swimming and the gymnastics have been very poor at times picture resolution wise.

During the opening ceremony I had to switch over to the eurosport 3D coverage as the BBC was quite clearly a lot softer. The Sky guide info didn't even state that the BBC coverage was being broadcast in HD......it certainly looked SD to me.

For those of you with Sky check the BBC 3D programme info as they don't seem to be broadcasting HD 3D at all.

For those of you with Sky check the BBC 3D programme info as they don't seem to be broadcasting HD 3D at all.
As far as FreeView goes a day's summary is broadcast every night roughly 11-12pm (it can vary a little) on BBC HD.

It's unquestionably an HD broadcast but as many have commented, the source (or post production) is a little suspect for quality

I have recorded both the BBC and Sky/Eurosport summaries every night. I put them both in my planner originally thinking they would be different, but as it is they are identical appart from the broadcaster logos.

PQ wise they are also identical IMO. Both equally as poor!
not surprising as they both come from the same source, they both are broadcast at the same resolution, and the only thing that might differ I guess is the bitrate and compression applied.
So it might be possible that the Freeview transmission isn't quite as good as Sky version - whereas I would expect the Freeview and Freesat BBC transmissions to be nigh on identical as we know they artifically constrain Freesat to Freeview levels.
I haven't actually looked at the Freeview 3D transmission. Has anyone compared that against Freesat?

Honestly, it's so infuriating... I've been looking forward for to this for a long time, the BBC's first proper forray into 3D broadcasting and I'm finding myself it switching off and instead watching the superior 2D picture. What an absolute shame. :(

Honestly, it's so infuriating... I've been looking forward for to this for a long time, the BBC's first proper forray into 3D broadcasting and I'm finding myself it switching off and instead watching the superior 2D picture. What an absolute shame. :(
In all honesty I can't see why you'd want to watch in 2D instead of 3D :confused:

What I find infuriating is that whilst watching in 3D is more enjoyable, it also becomes a tab boring when you've already seen the same footage (live in 2D) earlier in the day :(

In all honesty I can't see why you'd want to watch in 2D instead of 3D :confused:

What I find infuriating is that whilst watching in 3D is more enjoyable, it also becomes a tab boring when you've already seen the same footage (live in 2D) earlier in the day :(

Well not if you have Sky, as much of the main events are broadcast live in 3D.

But I can't sit there all day watching in 3D - especially when I am working...

And the PQ of the 3D has been so poor so far, I am a bit like the Welsh Wirlwind in that I may as well watch it in higher quality if I am just going to be "keeping an eye" on it so to speak

But I can't sit there all day watching in 3D - especially when I am working...
Sounds a bit like me then - although I sneak time for the more interesting contests that involve Team GB :D

Don't have Sky myself but don't think there's any question that I'd watch the live events in 3D if I could :)

As Loz says, the resolution drop has been terrible on the 3D broadcasts, so instead, I'm finding myself watching the highlights on the 2D HD channels all of which have a far superior picture. That's why :rolleyes:

As Loz says, the resolution drop has been terrible on the 3D broadcasts, so instead, I'm finding myself watching the highlights on the 2D HD channels all of which have a far superior picture. That's why :rolleyes:
You should be aware that H-SBS will halve the resolution at the best of times anyway.

That accepted, I much prefer 3D viewing since the 3D experience to me is more important that image sharpness :cool:

You should be aware that H-SBS will halve the resolution at the best of times anyway.

That accepted, I much prefer 3D viewing since the 3D experience to me is more important that image sharpness :cool:

True, but that should still be 960x1080.

Whereas at times the OBS 3D feed looks worse than SD at 720x576.

The opening shots of the show jumping the other day looked more like you would expect to find on youtube than broadcast TV.

Sky routinely demonstrate that live 3D sports can be of the highest PQ. Pity OBS didn't bring in the expects....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom