3D newbi

jonboy666

hi.

as the title says ive not got the foggist about 3D tvs,but the kids want one and so does the missis.
trouble is which one, theres loads.
one thing i would like it to be is a smart tv as well,also 40" or 42",my current tv is only 32" so its gunna be a shock.
ive been on the active v passive site and i think i get it,and cost is a biggy,so with the glasses being alot cheaper i think im going to go passive.
.ive proberbly got about £700-800.also we need it for the xbox as well.so my questions are.

* which tvs do you recommend

* how important is the distance you sit from your tv when watching 3D

* do you guys buy cover protection for your 3Dtvs?looking at nearly £180 quid in some shops.

* do you need a 3D dvd as well.

ive seen this one LG 42LW550T 42" Full HD LED 3D TV | Dixons |
but like i say ive not got a clue.
sorry if the questions seem a bit daft,but ive not brought a new tv for years,never mind a 3D one

thanks.

Last edited:

Ari33

Having kids, passive is the sensible option. The 42LW550T is a very good set, I've got the version down from it, the LW450u ( Same screen but doesn't have SMART tech or additional picture processing which I wouldn't use anyway) and I love it!

Phillips and Toshiba also do passive LED 3D TVs which are also well regarded (they use LG panels.)

The 42" LW550T optimum viewing distance is stated as 11ftt iirc, I view mine at 8ft and its perfect, I can go closer to about 6-7ft and its still good but not lower much than that.

I haven't bought cover protection... yet... but I can still buy mine at any point within the manufacturers warranty period because I bought from Richer Sounds.

It does have a 2D-3D convertor, it adds excellent depth but for proper full 3D with pop-out you can use a 3D blu-ray player or buy a media player such as a WD Live etc.. a PS3 is also a good 3D blueray player option. You can also play certain file types directly off a USB pen drive.

Richer Sounds are one of the cheapest around and their etended warranties are very reasonable. Argos have also recently reduced their prices and were quite competative the last time I looked.

Last edited:

jonboy666

thanks Ari33,ill check out the phillips and toshiba ones as well.
did you mean the tv i posted up had 2D-3D converter?just that i cant see it in the spec.

Ari33

Yes, it does have a 2D-3D convertor, be sure to also check that the Phillips and Toshiba do as it does add some nice depth.

jonboy666

as ive not had much experience buying tvs,do retailers offer much discount on boxing day or the new year on tvs, because if its worth it i minght wait till the new year.
also whats bovering me is,is there something better around the corner,maybe in 6 months or a years time?

celsius

Novice Member
as ive not had much experience buying tvs,do retailers offer much discount on boxing day or the new year on tvs, because if its worth it i minght wait till the new year.
also whats bovering me is,is there something better around the corner,maybe in 6 months or a years time?

There is more chance of a discount after the new year, especially for models of more than a few months.

Of course if you wait another 6 months, it will be even cheaper.

If you wait another 2 years, there will be more better and cheaper models!!!

Ari33

There is more chance of a discount after the new year, especially for models of more than a few months.

Of course if you wait another 6 months, it will be even cheaper.

If you wait another 2 years, there will be more better and cheaper models!!!

And two years after that etc.. :) The problem is you could end up waiting forever for the 'next' big technological advances... 'just around the corner'. ;)

Buying in the new year sales does make sense though.

mocca

Banned
There's allways something better around the corner but as long as you get a good set now it does'nt matter about better sets in the future as your's will perform good enough.
Passive's seem to have great 3d performance.

jonboy666

Right i think im nearly there. ive been looking at these sets

LG 42PW450T 42" HD Ready Plasma 3D TV which is an active set i think,but its very cheap,does anyone know why?

LG 42LW650T 42" Full HD LED 3D TV

LG 42LW450U 42" Full HD LED 3D TV

and i think im more pulled towards the last one,anyone got first hand experiance of these set?also im on virgin media do they do 3D material?

Last edited:

jonboy666

right im going back to currys to see if i can view the TOSHIBA Regza 42VL863B 42" Full HD LED 3D TV.

does anyone recommend these over the LGs or vice versa?

mocca

Banned
right im going back to currys to see if i can view the TOSHIBA Regza 42VL863B 42" Full HD LED 3D TV.

does anyone recommend these over the LGs or vice versa?

I moved from lg to tosh so yup, the tosh is better, far better than the 450u for lag, but then does the 450u have less lag than the 650?
The 450u's lag i did'nt find tobe a game killer, how ever when i setup the tosh for dirt 3 and a wheel i found that i played like a 5 year old, myt skills suffered greatly with the tosh for the first few days, this was because my brain become accustomed to the small amount of lag on the 450u.
I was turning into corners way to early ect.
I'd love to have a hdmi laptop so i could test the lag test on this tosh as it feels 1.1 with my controller or wheel.
The tosh flys and leaves the 450u face down in the dirt, the lag difference must be very large!

Both tv's suffer from a small amount of ghosting on fast images, that's the biggest fault i think both sets have, my old 950 had a much better motion handling but then they was very expensive and these sets are like budget models.

Last edited:

TimmyBee86

Novice Member
if you're set on passive, then thats fair enough, but if your budget is 700-800 you could easily get the Panasonic 42ST30 (£450 from richer sounds) and have enough money for a fair few pairs of glasses.
Or you could get a bigger TV! for 700 you can get the 50" with 2 glasses...

The lag on the ST30 is ~16ms which is pretty much as low as you'll see. Also, i personally think the 2D image will be greater on a Panasonic plasma than a LG LCD.

edit: the st30 is an active plasma set

jonboy666

whats worrying me now is the lag, ive got an xbox and kinect.the daughter goes on the kinect alot and if this is affected it wont be good,plus i like the odd game online too.
my heads all over the place at the minute.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
if you're set on passive, then thats fair enough, but if your budget is 700-800 you could easily get the Panasonic 42ST30 (£450 from richer sounds) and have enough money for a fair few pairs of glasses.
Or you could get a bigger TV! for 700 you can get the 50" with 2 glasses...

The lag on the ST30 is ~16ms which is pretty much as low as you'll see. Also, i personally think the 2D image will be greater on a Panasonic plasma than a LG LCD.

edit: the st30 is an active plasma set

Agree with this, great set for 3D and 2D, also great for gaming. Best to view in a demo room if you can as bright store lighting isnt great with these sets. If your rooms bright it may be an issue too. Give your local RS a call to arange a demo or your local Sound and vision if you have one. Some independent dealers also have demo rooms.

jonboy666

Agree with this, great set for 3D and 2D, also great for gaming. Best to view in a demo room if you can as bright store lighting isnt great with these sets. If your rooms bright it may be an issue too. Give your local RS a call to arange a demo or your local Sound and vision if you have one. Some independent dealers also have demo rooms.

i think im going to do just that,ask for a viewing room.ive decided im not going to rush into this.
ive sat down and had a good think about what i need and our viewing habits these are.

my kids are teenagers now,and they would be careful with active glasses if thats the way i went.but accidents do happen.

we both work so i think our main time for 3D films would be afternoon/night time. and proberbly only at weekends if im not working.

our main viewing would be in 2D for the reasons above.

xbox,gameing.im not a massive gamer,but thinking about it id proberbly sooner have an hour or so online than watch a film,and my daughter loves the kinect,tho im not sure if this is afftected by lag.

but knowing me ill proberbly change my mind in the morning.:laugh:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
i think im going to do just that,ask for a viewing room.ive decided im not going to rush into this.
ive sat down and had a good think about what i need and our viewing habits these are.

my kids are teenagers now,and they would be careful with active glasses if thats the way i went.but accidents do happen.

we both work so i think our main time for 3D films would be afternoon/night time. and proberbly only at weekends if im not working.

our main viewing would be in 2D for the reasons above.

xbox,gameing.im not a massive gamer,but thinking about it id proberbly sooner have an hour or so online than watch a film,and my daughter loves the kinect,tho im not sure if this is afftected by lag.

but knowing me ill proberbly change my mind in the morning.:laugh:

:laugh::smashin: best thing to do. Take your console and fave game, couple of films and record some SD my local has no arial or cable into the demo room:rolleyes: Let us know how you get on, IMO its the best way to test both 3D and plasma screens.

jonboy666

job done got myself a LG42LW540U and a wireless LG blueray. and im well impressed with it.got it from richer sounds in nottingham.

does anyone have some settings for this so i can give them a crack.

Last edited:

jonboy666

sound mate ill check your settings out when you post them. only trouble ive been having was with the 3D content on virgin media it keeps freezing and the blue ray dont seem very good if im honest,but ill post that on the correct threads.

cant see any setting for the LG42LW540U

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom