3D movies! Never seen one!

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you still get any 3D movies on DVD? Just chatting about it earlier, cos Jaws III was on the other day and I remember that being in theaters in 3D (well I personally don't remember it, I was only a couple of years old when it came out! But I remember that it WAS in 3D in theaters ;) )

So can you still get any 3D movies on DVD, and do they work on CRT TV's?

I remember on TV called The Mask and I had a set of them glasses that made the 3D effect work (red and green lenses) and it worked ok.

Can you still get any 3D movies on DVD? Just chatting about it earlier, cos Jaws III was on the other day and I remember that being in theaters in 3D (well I personally don't remember it, I was only a couple of years old when it came out! But I remember that it WAS in 3D in theaters ;) )

So can you still get any 3D movies on DVD, and do they work on CRT TV's?

this reminds me when we was kids 5 of us sneaked in the cinema to see Jaws 3 (we all paid 1 kid to get in then he ran to the exit doors and let us in , ahh those were the days :devil:) anyway when we got in and sat down we saw everyone had this cardboard glasses on and the picture was all blurry :oops:

we had the hump :D fun memorys though

Best, most effective 3-D experience has to be the IMAX presentations. They give you electronic glasses as you go in that use polarized lenses that flick on and off alternately, syncing with the film projector. Works fantastically well and everything's in full colour, unlike the distinctly down market red-green system, sometimes used on normal 3-D films.

Regards

Mark

I remember the Freddy movie that had the last 15 minutes of it in 3D. I didn't think that much of it to tell the truth. Sure there's something there that works, but its poor in my option.

Friday the 13th Part 3 was a 3D movie in theaters.

3d can still be fun on dvd and is well worth a go.
:clap:

Try searching for '3d' on whatever dvd website you use (or hire some).

Even some latest releases can be obtained as 3d dvd eg. Shrek, Spy Kids etc..

Even more fun with a projector!

Regards,

Ian Guinan

I remember when I were a nipper that they had a western on once in 3D. Doesn't work so good in B&W (our TV, not the movie).

I don't have 3d vision myself so I hate these films however Spy Kids 3 was in 3d. The DVD is a 2 disc set, one in 3d and the other in 2d. There's also The Adventures Of Sharkboy And Lavagirl by the same director. I think I'm correct in saying the DVD has the 3d and 2d versions on one disc.

Cheers
Bri

Watched Friday 13th part 3? in 3D at the cinema years ago and more recently a safari doc at the IMAX in Bradford.
Despite '3D' having being round since the 50s (House of Wax - 1953), possibly earlier, it still remains a novelty that has never really cauught on and i'm not sure that it ever will. Anyway high def is almost '3d like' and will do for me.

Watched Friday 12th part 3? in 3D at the cinema years ago and more recently a safari doc at the IMAX in Bradford.
Despite '3D' having being round since the 50s (House of Wax - 1953), possibly earlier, it still remains a novelty that has never really cauught on and i'm not sure that it ever will. Anyway high def is almost '3d like' and will do for me.

Friday the 13th 3D. I saw this on BSB and all the way though there doing stupid stuff for the 3D effect I think even the titles explode and come at you although I think you needed to see it in a cinema for it to work.

Star Chaser the Legend of Orin is a SCi-fi Cartoon in the same sort of genre as starwars. It was originally made as a 3D movie for the cinemas but the glases you had to put on were not the red and green/blue lenses but a darkend almost sunglases type of lense. It was relased on DVD but not in 3D. However you can see where the 3D effect would have been most noticable when watching the movie.

Friday the 13th 3D. I saw this on BSB and all the way though there doing stupid stuff for the 3D effect I think even the titles explode and come at you although I think you needed to see it in a cinema for it to work.

Just to show my age, I did see this in the cinema and thought it worked really well, not sure if I like to see all movies made like it, but it's alright as a novelty.

I seem to remeber a sci-fi movie out around the same time, also in 3D, didn't think that worked as well though.

Just to show my age, I did see this in the cinema and thought it worked really well, not sure if I like to see all movies made like it, but it's alright as a novelty.

I seem to remeber a sci-fi movie out around the same time, also in 3D, didn't think that worked as well though.

Spacehunter:Adventures In The Forbidden Zone? Saw it on 2d video.

All the best
Bri

Yep, that was it, I half remembered the adventures in the forbidden zone bit, but not the first part.

Didn't the BBC have a '3D evening' back in the 80s with various programmes shown in 3D? I think they gave away 3D glasses with the Radio Times. I think a message appeared on screen to put your 3D glasses at key moments.
I also recall them expirementing with 'smelly vision' where again an on screen prompt instructed you to 'scratch n sniff' your 'sniff card ' :eek:
Not sure if this was part of the same '3D evening'.

Didn't the BBC have a '3D evening' back in the 80s with various programmes shown in 3D? I think they gave away 3D glasses with the Radio Times.
I also recall them expirementing with 'smelly vision' where an on screen prompt instructed you to 'scratch n sniff' your 'sniff card ' :eek:

Children In Need did a Dr Who/Eastenders crossover in a "fake" 3d mode. I kid you not and it was every bit as bad as you would expect.

Best wishes
Bri

Children In Need did a Dr Who/Eastenders crossover in a "fake" 3d mode. I kid you not and it was every bit as bad as you would expect.

Best wishes
Bri

It was not just Children in Need they did a number of programs over the week think they did 3 parts of Blue Peter with the 3D. The way it worked was one of the lenses was clear and the other dark. It works something like this the eye with the dark lenses sent the picture to the brain a split second behind the clear one. If something moved from left to right across the screen this tricked the brain in to thinking one eye was seeing something from an other perspective and therefore made a 3D image. This did not work if the subject was stationary or moved across the screen in the wrong direction.

It was not just Children in Need they did a number of programs over the week think they did 3 parts of Blue Peter with the 3D. The way it worked was one of the lenses was clear and the other dark. It works something like this the eye with the dark lenses sent the picture to the brain a split second behind the clear one. If something moved from left to right across the screen this tricked the brain in to thinking one eye was seeing something from an other perspective and therefore made a 3D image. This did not work if the subject was stationary or moved across the screen in the wrong direction.

Yeah it meant there was always a moving image on screen. The advantage over the standard 2 camera approach was that you could watch in 2d. Trouble was it hampered directors with an always moving camera and that could cause motion sickness in the audience.

Cheers
Bri

i've got 2 or 3 dvd's in 3d and to be honest all they do is give me really bad eyestrain..

freddy's dead the final nightmare doesnt work, The Park doesn't work and Night Of The Living Dead 3d doesn't work... Encounter in the 3rd dimension does work and looks impressive at times but still strains the eyes

the main problem is getting the colours on your tv right so that the blue/red are the exact same shade as the ones on the glasses, otherwise it doesn't work at all.

I think it's also a matter of how willing you are to see the 3-D. It's like those pictures that have a 3-D image built into them but initially you can't see it. You have to sort of relax your auto-focus mechanisms, or something, for them to waft into view. The IMAX electronic systems work the best as they force your eyes to see the 3-D, you have no choice.

Regards

Mark

Didn't the BBC have a '3D evening' back in the 80s with various programmes shown in 3D? I think they gave away 3D glasses with the Radio Times. I think a message appeared on screen to put your 3D glasses at key moments.
I also recall them expirementing with 'smelly vision' where again an on screen prompt instructed you to 'scratch n sniff' your 'sniff card ' :eek:
Yes I remember that, I think the scratch and sniff was on a different night though.

I think it's also a matter of how willing you are to see the 3-D. It's like those pictures that have a 3-D image built into them but initially you can't see it. You have to sort of relax your auto-focus mechanisms, or something, for them to waft into view. The IMAX electronic systems work the best as they force your eyes to see the 3-D, you have no choice.

Regards

Mark

Not having 3d eyesight I'm not an expert myself but I did put Spy Kids 3d for my wife. All the stuff coming out of the screen fair freaked her out. She didn't have to try. Not being funny but do you think your vision is ok?

All the best
Bri

Star Chaser the Legend of Orin is a SCi-fi Cartoon in the same sort of genre as starwars. It was originally made as a 3D movie for the cinemas but the glases you had to put on were not the red and green/blue lenses but a darkend almost sunglases type of lense. It was relased on DVD but not in 3D. However you can see where the 3D effect would have been most noticable when watching the movie.

wow...someone else remembers Starchaser!

I got a bit of motion sickness after seeing James Cameron's 'Ghosts of the Abyss' in 3D at the IMAX in Bradford. I'm not certain but the ill feeling may have come from Bill Paxton's face jumping out of the screen every two minutes which was unsettling to say the least.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom