3d motion blurring and gaming question

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by monkeymcnugget, Jan 2, 2012.

1. monkeymcnugget

monkeymcnugget
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I've always found that 3d tends to blur whenever movement happens, that is whenever I go to the cinema. Yet I never hear many people complain about it by me! Is it just me?!
    Had a look t a Panasonic st50 today and found the same problems, but less on a passive set next to it. Is this something that is just getting better or is it my eyes?!
    I'm in market for new tv and it seems silly to not invest in 3d but the movement seems to make it a little pointless for the money.
    How are people getti g I with 3d sets generally?

(budget of £600 give or take and going for a 42+ gaming tv - the st 50 with 2 free glasses at jl for £699 is winning now)

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I'm a real plasma fan but most admit I'm thinking about getting a 3D tv later this year and it has to be passive so will need to be lcd/led. I've tried various active shutter sets and don't like them. Apart from the halving of the resolution everything else seems better with passive especially convenience which is 10x better. I found the 3D easier on the eyes and also have pets in the house which will destroy active shutter glasses thats if I haven't sat on them myself etc. It has to be passive for me so I'm forced to change camp from plasma to lcd/led if I want 3D. I still use anaglyph on my projector and regularly have to replace the 3D glasses as I keep breaking them so active shutter is not for me.

3. Lord Jerec

Lord Jerec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I do notice this, one thing that does eliminate it on my TV is the Trumotion setting, if I stick it on low then films, especially animated movies like HTTYD and Despicable Me get a lot easier on the eyes.

I have the 55" LG 650T, love this TV.

4. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    But it doesn't anyway - it 's just a silly myth :rolleyes:

You can only halve the resolution by watching Half SBS or Half OU (or closing one eye ;))

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Is that the view of most people because I did feel active looked more high resolution with the same material. I was standing quite close and lets face it as you move back you lose a lot of resolution anyway and it becomes comparable. I didn't try every mode but there was a aliasing and interlace effect I felt with passive but all things considered it was still much better than active especially in comfort.

6. mocca

mocca
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Your correct there, the passive systems add something that looks like aliasing, even with a high end pc and sli 64xCSSA the aliasing cannot be removed and the reason for that is that you can't use aliasing to clear up an after affect of passive.
    Passive still rocks though and is fit for it's purpose :)
    The aliasing effect showed more on a 2010 47ld950 than on any of the 2011 passives i've had so it is getting better.
    What i wrote above is nothing tobe scared of, it has'nt scared me off and i've had 4 different passives

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    As mocca says, active can look sharper but there isn't a true difference in resolution (in the simplest terms it's like comparing 1080i with 1080p).

If you do look at a passive set close then you certainly can be aware of the polariser - and that's all you're seeing - but you shouldn't confuse it with the resolution being halved

You just need a Full HD test card to verify :)

8. Gregorov

Gregorov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To be honest on my vt30 blur in 3D is not existing, i think is due quick response of the plasma screen. But sometimes movement seems jagerry like not enough fpses are creating the movment but its different with different movies. I think its highly depedably by how movie is compressed because in some of the movies this problem is non existing .