1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Mark and NVIDIA Questions.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,217
    I have upgraded my drivers about 4 times this year from NVIDIA, thinking I would get faster results on the 3D Mark, yet every time after the upgrade my 3D Mark has gone down, albeit not by much. I know one of the things of new drivers is for more stability. Has anyone’s 3D marks gone up if so what possibly am I doing wrong.

Also I see there is a 3D Mark 2001 SE is there any different graphics used, or has it been brought out to test 3D cards that were not out at the time of the original 3D Mark 2001?

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Garrett

Sorry I can't help you, but maybe you can help me.
    I have just upgraded from win98se to winxp, I have never had a problem with upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers with 98se, but since installing XP yesterday I am finding it difficult, I have downloaded the latest drivers for XP from Nvidia but there is no setup, install, update or execute file to upgrade the drivers, I have tried removing the old drivers in the device manager with no joy, XP just reloads the old drivers automatically on reboot, I also tried to update the driver in the device manager, but it said there was no compatible driver with the download file.

Any idea's

Thanks.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,217
    Hi Timh

I just down load the drivers from Nvidia as save option, then just click in the save file, after loading, I click on file, and tell it to install.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Garrett

I take it that you are using XP? I do not have an install option after clicking file, maybe I should delete the files and try downloading them again.

Thanks

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

I'll help if I can :D

The best site for nVidia drivers is here

If I remember correctly, on a "clean" install of XP, right click on My Computer icon on desktop, select properties, hardware, device manager, display adapter.

On a clean install, I think you may not have the "display adapter" tab, as it's automatically loaded the default MS drivers (unless you've loaded drivers from an install CD etc.., if you have the display adapter tab, ignore the next step).

If this is the case, get the 29.42 dets from the site above, open them & they should "auto-install".

If they dont, "explore" the dowmloaded file & locate the setup file (slightly blue icon).

Click on this & it should then start installation.

When they are installed, recheck your device manager, the 29.42s should be listed under display adapters.

Now, if you've gotten this far, go further :D

As you can see from the site, there are now 29.60, 29.80 & 30.30 dets available.

The 29.60 are accepted as the best for image quality (for me, the 29.42s are slightly faster in benchmarking, but the 29.60s are definately better for quality).

Download the 29.60s, take note of where you've saved them.

Again enter device manager, display adapters, double click on the 29.42s, select driver, update driver, install from a list, don't search, have disc, browse, give your driver location & select the nv4_disp.

That's it, done.

I wouldn't bother with the 30.30s yet, the're still being tested by loads of people, so if they prove stable & better later, it's easy to upgrade.

You've also got the "roll back driver" option in XP, so if all goes pear shaped, just roll back to your previous drivers.

Let me know how you get on, or if you've any probs.

XP also has a "remote assistance" feature, so if you really get stuck, & you trust someone, they can control your PC remotely & fix any problems.

BTW, you really need to calibrate the graphics output when you've installed those drivers. Avia is by far & away the best.

Let me know when you're doing this & I'll run you through it if you need help.

Reason I proferring all this help/advice is I feel responsible for your upgrade to the HTPC :D :D :D

joking!

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Garret, forgot about your original post :blush:

The 2001SE is just an updated version, with some patches etc..

You should really update to this though. Pop over to www.madonion.com & download it (37mb:eek: ).

Re drivers, newer ones won't always be faster.

nVidia look at, & hopefully improve, things like FSAA & anistropic filtering.

These obviously slow games, & especially benchmarks, while improving the appearance.

Newer drivers have nVidia's "Quincunx" filtering, a type said to give 4x performance with only a 2x speed hit, if you follow me.

The 29.42 dets are argueably the fastest at the mo, but the 29.60 & 29.80s aren't far behind - couple of hundred in 3D Mark.

Haven't tried the 30.30s yet, although the're in my folder, I'll wait for a few days, see how others get on.

Here's a link to my best score so far.

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3999665

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Kramer

Thanks for the help :) I am downloading the 29.60 drivers for now, I will see how I get on with them.
    And then when its all running stable I will be setting up Sky through my rave tv card and dscaler with powerstrip, and then I suppose I will have to have a play with dvd playback ;) I am just not sure which free dvd software to test it with, my mobo came with its own dvd player software, by MSI, I may give that a go as I have not heard it mentioned here before.

p.s I also have the 30.30's but will leave them alone for now.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Kramer

Well... I tried and tried and tried but failed every time, I followed your tips step by step but I coudn't manage to upgrade the drivers, the closest I got was the 29.60 drivers, it had its own setup shortcut, it seemed to be updating them and when I checked after reboot they were still the same.
    I then decided to try the MSI live update software which came with my motherboard, MSI had some drivers to update Nvidia Graphics cards.
    I then managed to update the drivers :) to MSI MS Starforce MX series Nvidia mx200 27.50. all is working fine now, my Son can now happily play Medal of Honour :) and me.

Thanks

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,217
    Hi Kramer

You know your stuff.

Is there anything you’ve tweaked to get them marks.
    Also I cannot get into my graphic card Tweaker program, do you know how to get into it.

10. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
  11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im running 29.42 on my games PC and I recently tried quin... AntiAliasing in some quake3 based games and to my surprise I only lost 5fps on a timedemo I performed!!!. Im really impressed with the improvements as before the anti-aliasing used to reduce the framerate by half to around 40fps and now AA at 80fps just looks stunning.